• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Save yourself some time..go to your favorite twisty road and jost start tossing the hub caps off of the sheels as you drive town. Either you do it now and get it out of the way ot it will happen the first time you get into some snow. ;) Think about it for a second...$20.00 hubcaps..that $5.00 ea. To get these to this price they had to cut out quality and durability from the build process.

Tire research over. Gettjng Blizzaks.

Fair point on hub caps. Over them now. Found these alloys and i realized I'd be bumming if i didn't spring for the extra $$. I have to look at my car all winter so worth it to me to spring for the extra $$. Besides Blizzak has a $70 rebate in November so done deal. Getting installed next week.

FB_IMG_1541602960605.jpg

Last edited:

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Good Choice....Aluminum wheels will look good a long time if you take care and wax them. The wheels here on this Forester are 4 years old and still look great.

IMG_20181107_143343.jpg
are 4

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I am just time stamping this. ;)

Haha. I do keep cars longer than skis. In general though i get bored easy, jobs, where i live, boyfriends, etc.. I suppose my SO should be lucky i still have him as its been 8 years :roflmao:

In all seriousness historically 'a good long time' for me with cars means 4-5 years. Hey i made it 4 years with my wrangler lol. Time will tell. However, my crosstrek is very loaded and compared to my wrangler is downright luxurious hahaha. Plus the 26-36 mpg is pretty intoxicating. We'll see ;)

:beercheer:

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haha. I do keep cars longer than skis. In general though i get bored easy, jobs, where i live, boyfriends, etc.. I suppose my SO should be lucky i still have him as its been 8 years :roflmao:

In all seriousness historically 'a good long time' for me with cars means 4-5 years. Hey i made it 4 years with my wrangler lol. Time will tell. However, my crosstrek is very loaded and compared to my wrangler is downright luxurious hahaha. Plus the 26-36 mpg is pretty intoxicating. We'll see ;)

4 -5 years!!! that's a new car to me .. try 13+ on my Silverado .... now it's just getting broken in, literally as I now have a handful of little maintenance items to perform. (yeah, don't need those Toyota 4 Runner folk commenting ... I know!)

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
4 -5 years!!! that's a new car to me .. try 13+ on my Silverado .... now it's just getting broken in, literally as I now have a handful of little maintenance items to perform. (yeah, don't need those Toyota 4 Runner folk commenting ... I know!)

I admire that. I always wish to not have a car payment one day and then 4 years in I'm going hmmmmm what's my next car going to be...I loved my Wrangler but when it turned into a commuter car and it wasn't my eyes started to wander. I always loved the Crosstrek so got my wish and got one. I can't say we'll be together forever but let's start small, maybe I'll have it for 5 years and we'll go from there. ;)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I admire that. I always wish to not have a car payment one day and then 4 years in I'm going hmmmmm what's my next car going to be...I loved my Wrangler but when it turned into a commuter car and it wasn't my eyes started to wander. I always loved the Crosstrek so got my wish and got one. I can't say we'll be together forever but let's start small, maybe I'll have it for 5 years and we'll go from there. ;)

now who said I don't have a 20 yr loan???? :roflmao:

But fuel wise, I will say the truck is no Crosstrek ... I suspect I've burnt more fuel than you're Crosstrek will over it's full life.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
now who said I don't have a 20 yr loan???? :roflmao:

But fuel wise, I will say the truck is no Crosstrek ... I suspect I've burnt more fuel than you're Crosstrek will over it's full life.

Hahaha

I hear ya on the gas mileage having driven a 14mpg wrangler for 4 years. While I loved that thing I'm tickled pink at not having to fill up the gas tank every 4 days. If I wanted to really cry I'd tally what I spent on gas over the time I had it. Let's not do that. I do fancy a pick up truck now and again but nothing i really want off the top of my head. That said I'm newly married to my Crosstrek so not even thinking about it ha ha. I do love cars though and would probably have 5 if i could afford it.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

That's some funny stuff right there. I have 4 cars around here someplace. They have been with me for;
43 years
28 years
27 years
9 years (3 to go)
:D

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hahaha

I hear ya on the gas mileage having driven a 14mpg wrangler for 4 years. While I loved that thing I'm tickled pink at not having to fill up the gas tank every 4 days. If I wanted to really cry I'd tally what I spent on gas over the time I had it. Let's not do that. I do fancy a pick up truck now and again but nothing i really want off the top of my head. That said I'm newly married to my Crosstrek so not even thinking about it ha ha. I do love cars though and would probably have 5 if i could afford it.

There's lots of truth in what you say in least how I consider things, car wise. Truck wise I am lucky in that I drive 3 miles to work .. heck, rode my bike for a while and plan to next spring ... so fuel cost wasn't a major consideration as I liked it for hauling stuff. Hauled tons of material for yard/home improvement. Too, at time bought had one in a infant seat and two in child seats or booster.

However it was justifiable that we spend more on spouse's ride as she put miles on it. Fuel savings justified it ... same true for my kid who weighed in mileage cost verses vehicle costs. For idea I've burned close to 11000 gallons of fuel over the 13+ years on the Silverado .. if I got 2ce the mileage, that's around $15K offset to blow on fancier car ... or skiing.

This thinking falls in to the winter tire debate. You're gonna put miles on tires regardless, winters don't really cost vastly different per mile than decent all seasons, wheels may add to the cost but overall I figure one will wear tires either summer or winter so if you have the space and funds up front (verses paying sooner for new all seasons) .. get winters.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
There's lots of truth in what you say in least how I consider things, car wise. Truck wise I am lucky in that I drive 3 miles to work .. heck, rode my bike for a while and plan to next spring ... so fuel cost wasn't a major consideration as I liked it for hauling stuff. Hauled tons of material for yard/home improvement. Too, at time bought had one in a infant seat and two in child seats or booster.

However it was justifiable that we spend more on spouse's ride as she put miles on it. Fuel savings justified it ... same true for my kid who weighed in mileage cost verses vehicle costs. For idea I've burned close to 11000 gallons of fuel over the 13+ years on the Silverado .. if I got 2ce the mileage, that's around $15K offset to blow on fancier car ... or skiing.

This thinking falls in to the winter tire debate. You're gonna put miles on tires regardless, winters don't really cost vastly different per mile than decent all seasons, wheels may add to the cost but overall I figure one will wear tires either summer or winter so if you have the space and funds up front (verses paying sooner for new all seasons) .. get winters.

When I first got my Jeep I was working close to home and mainly skiing in western mass so the jeep was fine. Fast forward 4 years later and I was working somewhere else with a giant commute and we were going to vermont every weekend. The Jeep had turned into a commuter vehicle and it wasn't working. I'd fancied the crosstrek for quite a while so I finally made the decision to let my beloved Jeep go and get something more 'luxurious", commuter friendly and off road capable that could also handle the hilly roads of Vermont. Crosstrek fits the bill 100%. I'd love another jeep one day but it will be once we move to Vermont permanently and I can just have it to putz around town as a 2nd vehicle. I love that Jeep and I hope to have another one at some point. In the meantime I've my fully loaded crosstrek with every option I ever wanted, it's got pep, is great in the snow and has one hell of a sound system so I'm pretty damn happy.

Great point on the tires and that was my thinking. Spend the money and get what I really want since I have somewhere to store my off season tires and thankfully the means to get what I really want. I know I won't be sorry and that first big snow storm in vermont I'll be kissing the ground in happiness that I have these highly recommend snow tires and on a totally superficial token, rims that really wind my watch.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Think we're done with the white stuff in CT but the forecast in southern Vermont has snow/frozen mix over random days in the next 10 days. Thinking about keeping them on just a couple weeks longer.

When do people usually take their snow tires off? This is my first time having them.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Mine are coming off as soon as I can get to them. Usually around now, but if you're driving up in Vermont over the next few weeks why not keep them on? Disadvantage is wear on the tires. It will however make your summer tires last longer. I keep a log of mileage on/off of the tires so I can track how many miles each set of tires has on it. When the snows get to the need-to-replace point I might leave them on longer in the Spring to save mileage on the summer tires.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Here in CO I've learned to leave them on until mid-May. We always have a few dumps and inevitably they are on days I need to drive through it. I'd think in VT you would be OK in 2 or 3 more weeks.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Mine are coming off as soon as I can get to them. Usually around now, but if you're driving up in Vermont over the next few weeks why not keep them on? Disadvantage is wear on the tires. It will however make your summer tires last longer. I keep a log of mileage on/off of the tires so I can track how many miles each set of tires has on it. When the snows get to the need-to-replace point I might leave them on longer in the Spring to save mileage on the summer tires.

Good thinking. I'll keep them on for a bit longer. These are brand new tires this season so I'll start a log so I can track the miles. I'm hoping for 3 seasons on these guys. I'll shoot for mid April.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Here in CO I've learned to leave them on until mid-May. We always have a few dumps and inevitably they are on days I need to drive through it. I'd think in VT you would be OK in 2 or 3 more weeks.

Thanks. I have an appointment for this afternoon for the swap out and then I double checked the weather and went hmmm. Thinking mid April but I'll play it by ear.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I know people that after 3 or 4 winters on their Blizzak snow tires, they run them for a summer and then get new Blizzak snow tires that fall. Might as well save one summer's wear on the summer tires.

As for me, I don't change tires seasonally, I change cars. As soon as I return to my summer residence in Victoria B.C. the '93 Toyota MR2 turbo goes back on the road. The T roofs usually remain off the car for most of the summer as the '06 Volvo XC70 AWD turbo with snow tires comes out on rainy summer days as well as when it is needed to transport my canoe.

Sponsor

Staff online