• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you're looking to get decent-looking rims without spending a lot, don't be shy about checking eBay and salvage yards. I don't know how popular the Crosstrek is with vehicle-modifying types, but if other OEM Subaru wheels will fit, it shouldn't be too hard to find clean take-offs that got replaced with absurdly large rims for rubber-band-thick low-profile tires.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
If you're looking to get decent-looking rims without spending a lot, don't be shy about checking eBay and salvage yards. I don't know how popular the Crosstrek is with vehicle-modifying types, but if other OEM Subaru wheels will fit, it shouldn't be too hard to find clean take-offs that got replaced with absurdly large rims for rubber-band-thick low-profile tires.

Thanks. I am fine without the hubcabs and do like the black on black look. I am however, putting a few feelers out with the local facebook tag sale sites around my state to see if people have any or know of any leads. Thanks for this suggestion. I've got a little time so might as well look around a little.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I didn't have hubcaps on my snow tires and found that I'd get excessive snow buildup in the wheels which made it seem at times as if the wheels were very out of balance at times. Very disturbing. This happened probably when I had to blast my way through a pile of snow at the top of my driveway.

Last year I bought hubcaps on ebay, cost something like $20 for the set (plastic) I picked ones with the least amount of openings in them. I didn't have that problem last Winter.

TPMS is a real issue. If you have to pay someone twice a year to re-program the system, even if you change the wheels over yourself, it's costly and inconvenient. I too got wheels without TPMS and a floor jack and change them myself, as a shop in many states is not allowed to do that. Granted all Winter the dashboard said I had low pressure but a bit of black electrical tape over that area of the display solves that problem.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I didn't have hubcaps on my snow tires and found that I'd get excessive snow buildup in the wheels which made it seem at times as if the wheels were very out of balance at times. Very disturbing. This happened probably when I had to blast my way through a pile of snow at the top of my driveway.

Last year I bought hubcaps on ebay, cost something like $20 for the set (plastic) I picked ones with the least amount of openings in them. I didn't have that problem last Winter.

TPMS is a real issue. If you have to pay someone twice a year to re-program the system, even if you change the wheels over yourself, it's costly and inconvenient. I too got wheels without TPMS and a floor jack and change them myself, as a shop in many states is not allowed to do that. Granted all Winter the dashboard said I had low pressure but a bit of black electrical tape over that area of the display solves that problem.

I'm scouting around for hubcaps. My guy charges a flat rate of $99 a year and this includes tire storage, swapping out of the tires 2x a year and reprogramming the TPMS sensors.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a thought on TPMS: I was able to get what appear to be OEM Ford TPMS sensors (with valve stems) for about $60/set on eBay, and my local small-town mechanic was happy to install them when putting my tires on. Obviously check with your mechanic before ordering (some don't like installing parts they didn't source, for reasons both good and not so good), but it doesn't need to cost the $60 per wheel some places want to hit you for.

Granted, my truck is also smart enough to reprogram itself when I swap wheels, so YMMV if there's a necessary programming step. Given that I get per-wheel pressure information, I rather like the TPMS feature (I wasn't a big fan on previous vehicles that just threw up a "low pressure" idiot light without telling me which tire, or how low, and that would detect a low-pressure condition all damn winter).

Yup, I've been finding them for the F150 @ $50/set which makes it worthwhile. A lot better than my 911 that cost me over $300 for the set (porsche OEM ones seem to expire @ 4 years so i had to replace) Plus, using the OEM ones on Ford nothing to do when you changeover, the truck does it automatically. Programming on my wife's Macan is pretty simple too, a selection on the dash menu for summer/winter tires and then select the size whether 19 or 20inch.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the newer cars, TPMS can be set/reprogrammed from the dash..at least my 17 Alltrack can where my 10 TDI SW could not. As for looking for used wheels, you are looking now when everyone else is, the time is to look is in the Spring.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I didn't thoroughly read all the posts so I don't know if they've been recommended but my wife has a second set of refinished OEM wheels with stock size General Altimax Arctics on her '13 Crosstrek and they are great in all sorts of winter conditions(slush, snow, ice, deep water etc) even without studs. They can also be studded if you need better ice traction. They tend to run a bit big and fill the wheel well much better than the dinky looking summer tires.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just bought 4 studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV Tires 265/60R18 to replace this winter the studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV Tires I bought for my 2012 Grand Cherokee 7 years and 56,000 snow miles ago. The 7's had excellent snow and ice traction and also performed well on dry and wet roads. The tires ARE expensive and noisy on dry pavements. I paid $277/tire for the 7's and found the 9's on tirebyweb for $227, no tax, shipping included. The 9's are supposed to be improved over the 7's. Based upon the wear and performance I had with the 7's I believe the Nokians are worth every penny. I primarily drive between Rochester, NY and Killington on the winter and have had many nasty drives and was glad I chose studded snows on all 4 wheels.

Last edited:
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've decided to go with hubcaps because I like the look and it's just $20 more. I love the wheels on my crosstrek so I wanted to get something that was fairly close to what I have with the stock tires

Winter tire Blizzak WS80 Studless Ice and Snow, size P225/65R16. Going down in size from my stock 18" tires for better winter handling.

trans.gif

Capture.JPG

Hub caps

untitled.png

My tire guy suspects there will be a rebate in November so I'll go and put a down payment on them to place the order and then have them installed come December.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Same tires I have, they are beast in snow especially coupled with AWD. Be careful on potential icy condition though (not ski hill icy, actual refrozen water), then they turn into hockey pucks.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Same tires I have, they are beast in snow especially coupled with AWD. Be careful on potential icy condition though (not ski hill icy, actual refrozen water), then they turn into hockey pucks.

Thanks. A friend of mine has these as well and said they are a beast in the snow which is perfect. Driving on full on ice always makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I don't want to turn into a hockey puck so I try to stay put when conditions are like this.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Great thread! Just like @surfsnowgirl I recently picked up a 2019 Crosstrek limited. It’s my 3rd Subie and I kept my older trustworthy 2011 Outback 3.6R which is still going strong with 140k on it.

I’ve been contemplating the same thing as I’m not really in love with the Falken OEM tires. Decades ago when I lived in Michigan I always put snow tires on, but out here in New Mexico I never have on either my Subies or my jeeps, I’ve always run pretty aggressive Michilens all seasons.

Working 100 days at a ski resort where the parking lot is well over 10K in elevation I drive in a lot of snow, but not a lot of ice. I do use tire chains on occasion, but it’s got to be really bad (ice). That 16 mile ski road commute, a 3-4K climb in elevation on steep switchbacks can’t be made fast even when it’s dry, and with the all seasons (and knowing the road really well) I have few problems. Descending the mountain can be a little more challenging if it’s been scraped and iced over, but I just crawl down in 1st or 2nd gear.

All that aside I know winter tires are better than all seasons, particularly most OEM’s. Outside of that commute the pavement here when you drop down out of the mountains will be dry the vast majority of the time and rarely below freezing, at least during the day. But I do frequently travel up the middle of Colorado through a few notoriously treacherous passes ( that’s where I’ve used chains more often).

I’ve been looking at the Nokia WRG3’s, an all weather tire that can be run year round.

Anyone have experience with these https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-g3/ ?

Edit: BTW it’s snowing like crazy right now in Santa Fe and Taos :golfclap:

Last edited:

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Great choice on the tires and caps. I actually had a the same setup on one of our cars and it worked great. I did eventually end up ditching the hubcaps (they came free at the time) because I thought it looked better without them. As mentioned you will likely notice that the performance of the Blizzaks degrade as they age. I always sell them off at about 1/2 tread because of that. Enjoy them!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Great choice on the tires and caps. I actually had a the same setup on one of our cars and it worked great. I did eventually end up ditching the hubcaps (they came free at the time) because I thought it looked better without them. As mentioned you will likely notice that the performance of the Blizzaks degrade as they age. I always sell them off at about 1/2 tread because of that. Enjoy them!
I've always favoured the Michelin X-ice because they remain serviceable a lot longer. Now I have the Nokian Hakka R2, and they are amazing. The studded hakka tires will stop quicker on ice, but I wasn't sure where I would be when I bought the tires, and studs are illegal in southern Ont.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've decided to go with hubcaps because I like the look and it's just $20 more. I love the wheels on my crosstrek so I wanted to get something that was fairly close to what I have with the stock tires

Winter tire Blizzak WS80 Studless Ice and Snow, size P225/65R16. Going down in size from my stock 18" tires for better winter handling.

trans.gif

View attachment 56992

Hub caps

View attachment 56990

My tire guy suspects there will be a rebate in November so I'll go and put a down payment on them to place the order and then have them installed come December.
Save yourself some time..go to your favorite twisty road and jost start tossing the hub caps off of the wheels as you drive down. Either you do it now and get it out of the way ot it will happen the first time you get into some snow. ;) Think about it for a second...$20.00 hubcaps..that $5.00 ea. To get these to this price they had to cut out quality and durability from the build process.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
A few thoughts...get the best price of the top 3 tires you are looking at. They have all gotten really good and once on you forget about them. They just work and keep you safe. Keep in mind aggressive treads are great for snow but not for black ice. That's why I like the Michelin X3 but the other brands mentioned are good too. They are good on slick icy roads as well as snow. Regarding wheels....I have a few vehicles in my family with steel and aluminum wheels. Yes steel wheels are better and will bend and not crack like aluminum but the last few years a few troublesome issues have come up. Steel wheels do not seam to be well painted anymore (I think they all come from China) and start to rust fast. Sometimes they rust onto the brakes and you can not take them off in the spring without crowbars, hammers etc. a real PITA. Even a thin film of anti-seize grease doesn't do it. Steel wheels use to be epoxy paint coated but not longer so for that reason I would go with painted aluminum. They will hold up better for 5 or 6 years while the steels ones will need to be repainted with rustoleum primer and finish black. ...good luck