• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
The lack of crowds is great, it was ski on all day. Hopefully pioneer Express will open at some point - could there be an issue with the lift?

that lift breaks down a lot. we were told by one lift guy that he thought they may be racing on Vasquesz which we didn't see any and another liftie said it was closed for the year. who knows but I love that area.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Racing on Vasquez? Do tell more if you find out. It would be more of an area for an extreme comp so that doesn't make much sense, plus the difficult access?? I'd guess it's closed for the season beginning April 1st but stop by a patrol shack to find out for sure.

I think Pioneer is one of the oldest high speed lifts still running. It was built in 1986 which I believe makes it one of the oldest high-speed lifts in operation. Maybe it's closed for the season too? Maybe don't want to put too many junk hours on the old lift.

Mostly I'm here to suggest you go ski the chutes. I noticed they are open and should be fun when and if they soften. Do a test run down Runaway or Cannonball to check the conditions on similar exposure first. Have fun!

Reactions: wgo
TS
wgo

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Parsenn bowl was so much fun yesterday.perfect for my intermediate/advanced group. Quote from my wife: "that is the most fun I have ever had skiing".

A couple inches fell overnight which should freshen things up nicely. Plan is to focus on eagle wind this morning then MJ in the PM.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@tball Vasquez Ridge, presumably, not Vasquez Cirque. Ridge is mostly blues with a loooong runout at the bottom. Snowboarder hell. But often secret powder area.

Eagle Wind is pretty advanced. Tight trees. Don't overlook Belle Fourche on the way there; it is one of my favorites. If you're doing Eagle Wind and like it, you should for sure explore the C-lift runs as well. Not just Derailleur but explore Cannonball and Boiler etc. too. The trees off those runs can be good too, as can trees skier's left of Sleeper. (caveat, not if lower mountain snow is refrozen.)

Glad you are having fun. WP/MJ is an underappreciated mountain IMHO.

1/2 day with @Magi is a good idea too.

aerojack

Putting on skis
Skier
Parsenn bowl was so much fun yesterday.perfect for my intermediate/advanced group. Quote from my wife: "that is the most fun I have ever had skiing".

A couple inches fell overnight which should freshen things up nicely. Plan is to focus on eagle wind this morning then MJ in the PM.

One of my favorite MJ runs is Trestle. There is a *really* steep area in the middle that you can go skiers right around if needed, but the rest of the bumps are pretty chill. Only downside is the long cat track ride back to the supergauge lift. But I'm usually ready for a break by then anyways. Second the recommendation on Challenger lift, lots of good terrain.

When in Pano, duck into trees and explore as much as possible. So many cool spots.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of my favorite MJ runs is Trestle. There is a *really* steep area in the middle that you can go skiers right around if needed, but the rest of the bumps are pretty chill.

Or, you can duck in the woods on skier's right just above the steep area, for about 75 yards until you get to Topher's Cabin. After sharing a blunt with the locals hanging there, you'll have a powder run through the steep woods which comes out on the cat track as well.

TS
wgo

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fantastic day today. Started off with the trees to the right of outhouse, then onto outhouse to get to the MJ lift. Rode that up to access eagle wind. Only 3 inches of snow reported over night but somehow it seemed like much more. In the afternoon we mostly stuck to MJ. Trestle was a lot of fun, although I did miss the trees just above the steep part. Runaway was good and probably at about the limit of what I should be doing at the end of a long day.

Anyway thanks for all the recs, they have all been spot on.

TS
wgo

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wanted to thank everyone again for their recs. Skied our last day today, exploring the trees around C lift in the morning before it warmed up too much. Also got over to Belle Fourche which was outstanding. Such a good trip overall.

TS
wgo

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
WP getting hammered today...anyone out there taking advantage of it?

EDIT: Looks like Eagle Wind, High Lonesome and Pano are closed today. Hopefully they will be open the rest of the week.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Jane didn't suck with 12" fresh.

Still coming down. Tomorrow will suck even less.

Sponsor

Staff online