• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wine Online

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have a specific wine you want to buy

Generally speaking, I don't. If I do, I know where I got it in the first place, and can go back there. :ogbiggrin:

Trying to buy each item I might want from its originating winery is A) way too much work and B) almost certainly not going to be a bargain.

I'm a browser. I want to "walk up" to the Alsace section, for example, and see what looks good and is a good value. This requires that someone who knows what he/she is doing has purchased interesting items at a good price.

Bottom line, there are so so so many wines out there that starting with what I "want" in the abstract tends to be unproductive. Much more effective to start with what's actually available for purchase.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Could you have your order FedEx'd to a FX store across the state boarder and then pick it up?

Maybe, but a three hour round trip drive sure takes the appeal out of having something "shipped to your door." :roflmao:

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
INTERLUDE

If a case of wine arrives on your doorstep, I think it really does pay to let it settle for at least a week. That can be hard to do! If you pop a bottle right away and it's cloudy and weird ... That may mean it's cloudy and weird, or it may mean that it's temporarily upset.

/INTERLUDE

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wtso. Com

The only place i buy wine, free shipping and great deals
This looks interesting. Will check it out in more depth tonight. Thanks.

I was pretty excited this morning when I looked on there and they were featuring a wine from Fonterutoli, once of my favorite estates.

Returned this evening and - poof! - gone. Lesson learned. I guess this is the Steep and Cheap of wine.

There is a whole lot of fine print about what they do and how they do it, including some somewhat ominous-sounding stuff about the buyer attesting to his legal right to carry out the transaction. Or something like that.

After I posted the thread last night i did some belated googling and found some of the same stuff as @johnnyvw . My basic conclusion is that there is a lot of gray area. Many vendors are steering clear. Others are planning to ask forgiveness rather than permission.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If a case of wine arrives on your doorstep, I think it really does pay to let it settle for at least a week. That can be hard to do! If you pop a bottle right away and it's cloudy and weird ... That may mean it's cloudy and weird, or it may mean that it's temporarily upset.

How does the winemaker's choice of clarification method affect future travel considerations? I don't think I've ever seen a practical guide to this. Like does protein (egg, isinglass) clarification mean different settling and different turbidity than clay? Do we get cool micelles forming or breaking as pressure waves traverse the liquid?

Yes, I have been watching algal proteins make surface foams at the kayak take out, how did you know?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wtso. Com

The only place i buy wine, free shipping and great deals

@Rod9301 Good tip. I opened my first (and so far only) WTSO bottle tonight and it's very good. It was $15.99 with free shipping. It's definitely on the cusp of losing too much fruit, but right now it's great. Pretty package is frosting on the cake.

20200421_184200-01.jpeg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Cru Beaujolais is such a good value. So many fantastic wine makers there.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Rod9301 Good tip. I opened my first (and so far only) WTSO bottle tonight and it's very good. It was $15.99 with free shipping. It's definitely on the cusp of losing too much fruit, but right now it's great. Pretty package is frosting on the cake.

View attachment 100554
Wow! Look at those legs! (in the glass, in the glass). And I love Morgon, but have it only too rarely ...

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was pretty excited this morning when I looked on there and they were featuring a wine from Fonterutoli, once of my favorite estates.

Returned this evening and - poof! - gone. Lesson learned. I guess this is the Steep and Cheap of wine.

There is a whole lot of fine print about what they do and how they do it, including some somewhat ominous-sounding stuff about the buyer attesting to his legal right to carry out the transaction. Or something like that.

After I posted the thread last night i did some belated googling and found some of the same stuff as @johnnyvw . My basic conclusion is that there is a lot of gray area. Many vendors are steering clear. Others are planning to ask forgiveness rather than permission.
I've been buying from them for years, no problems. You have to act fast when you get the email, which is a few times a day.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January