• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Windproof full-zip midlayer fleeces

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am tired of repairing the zipper on my current one. I could replace it with something almost exactly the same, but I'm wondering if there are any with fancy Neomaterials, ideally with softer exterior handfeel.

I know Salomon have some of their 'Skin' materials; I think Marmot did one (2 seasons ago?).

Not looking for too much insulation. MUST be windproof. Must be breathable. Pit zips optional.

Athletic but not form-fitting fit preferred. Specifically, I want a slightly looser fit than typically used for winter road cycling, but must not be small for size in the shoulder/upper chest area.

Whatcha got?

James

Out There
Instructor
Well this Stio one is nice. I don't know the windproof factor of it.

image.jpg

http://www.stio.com/mens-wilcox-fleece-jacket

There's this from Colorado Free ride. Now on sale. Windstopper. Water resistant.
image.jpg

http://www.freeridesystems.com/product/fremont-ii-water-resistent-casual-jacket

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
REI used to carry some, their own brand. I have one. I don't wear it much. I keep forgetting it's in there!

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am wondering what "windproof fleece" is? I know there is Gore Windstopper, but, fleece is not considered windproof.

It's fleece with a windproof layer. The one I'm replacing is Polartec 100 weight thickness bonded to a closely woven facing, the facing then coated with polyurethane.

It does better than the industry standard of less-than-1cfm but I'm sick of the zippers falling apart. I have a Gore winter bike jacket but it's too tight for use as a midlayer.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
REI used to carry some, their own brand. I have one. I don't wear it much. I keep forgetting it's in there!

Yeh, unfortunately the local REIs had their racks picked over by member-sale vultures 2 weeks ago :( - been to 2 out of 5 and *nothing*.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Did you check online? 20% off right now.

Yeh, I know, I'm just looking for a 3rd party to help me pick for fit and WR. Something that fits like a TNF XL in the shoulder, but fits like a Gore Medium in torso and waist. With zippers I can't just shrug open. :(:huh:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeh, I know, I'm just looking for a 3rd party to help me pick for fit and WR. Something that fits like a TNF XL in the shoulder, but fits like a Gore Medium in torso and waist. With zippers I can't just shrug open. :(:huh:[/QUOTES.

Sounds like you are built like my husband. He's a total upside down triangle up top. The XL REI jacket (he has one, too) fits his shoulders great but is not super slim around the waist. It's not huge, but not slim. At least, the older one isn't. They may have changed it.

Just pulled up a pic. It doesn't look hugely boxy to me.
44e3c995-bea7-4089-a382-c357ab20871f

James

Out There
Instructor
Well Colorado has detailed measurements on their site for some jackets. Not just chest and srm length. You'd prob have to call them. Just measure your current one.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stio just profoundly botched my first purchase from them. No recourse except refund. Which they did, but it was a huge PITA. Will not do business with again.

[drift] Aargh. Just noticed again that @SBrown liked their stuff. SB, do you have an inside line there to a muckety muck who can actually GET me the small Environ jacket I ordered on sale, and which arrived two weeks later from L.A. as a women's down vest? (At which point they allegedly had no jackets left.) [/drift]

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
[drift] Aargh. Just noticed again that @SBrown liked their stuff. SB, do you have an inside line there to a muckety muck who can actually GET me the small Environ jacket I ordered on sale, and which arrived two weeks later from L.A. as a women's down vest? (At which point they allegedly had no jackets left.) [/drift]

Or @Brian Finch ?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I know no muckity-mucks, sorry. :-( I've always had good luck with them, but I guess stuff does happen.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

There is a gray small on their site, still; color no bueno?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a gray small on their site, still; color no bueno?

Thanks for the tip. That's new in the last few days. I'll call to find out if they can tell me whether it's real or just more down vests packed into bags with Environ SKUs on them.

Sponsor

Staff online