• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Win some lose some

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I was looking forward to a good season of skiing, but life and other projects got in the way. I bought new skis after the end of last season and was looking forward to putting some miles on them. All of my skis so far have had scales, so I decided to try some without and use skins while touring. I bought some Armanda Tracer 98s and kicker skins. I did get out once and the conditions were terrible. I was mostly avoiding bare spots. I still like Cameron Pass but it seems to be in a hole when it comes to all the snow we have been getting.

Short story, this year only made one outing and it wasn't great. I know there are still places to go, but I'm moving on to the mountain bike and sailplane, and looking forward to trying skiing next year.

Hope everyone else had much more fun on the snow.

Joel

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Joel,

sad to hear, especially given you're in Colorado.

Hey, as Cubs fans said for years ... "there's always next year"

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am not a back country skier but i once said to a back country friend that given the fact that the ski down is often less than perfect conditions, you got to enjoy the Up as much as the Down. His response was: "No, I enjoy the Up more than the Down".

So for my buddy there are no bad days in the back country.

TS
Joel

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I thought I was the only odd ball. I also like the climb on my MTB, but I also enjoy the ride down. Skis, still uncomfortable on the down, still a novice, not getting out enough.

I am not a back country skier but i once said to a back country friend that given the fact that the ski down is often less than perfect conditions, you got to enjoy the Up as much as the Down. His response was: "No, I enjoy the Up more than the Down".

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
There's never bad day in back country ;) No matter what conditions no matter what weather. Being out there is always simply amazing, even when skiing sucks and you are around at -15c and heavy snowstorm. It's fun :D
Otherwise for me it's that on MTB I enjoy going up just as much as I enjoy going down, or maybe I even enjoy up more then down, but for ski touring, I still enjoy down more then up, but up is fun too not just suffering to get those cool turns down.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I thought I was the only odd ball. I also like the climb on my MTB, but I also enjoy the ride down. Skis, still uncomfortable on the down, still a novice, not getting out enough.

Then spring may be the perfect time for you. There is nothing quite like backcountry corn snow -- it is like the perfect soft groomer.

Right now is the best time of the year to be in the backcountry in CO -- low avalanche danger, lots of sun, great coverage and corn :).

If I remember you're near Denver. A nice mellow bc outing is to drive up Guanella pass, park at the western trailhead on the summit, ski a few 800' vertical laps on the mellow face just to the east. You need to go early as it is east facing and gets morning sun. But it puts you back in Georgetown for a beer at Guanella Pass brewery by 11. Here's the map: https://caltopo.com/m/FSGD

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Then spring may be the perfect time for you. There is nothing quite like backcountry corn snow -- it is like the perfect soft groomer.
This^
I have skied in the backcountry since I was a teen & although I have had some great powder & storm days, most of my touring has been springtime corn skiing.
The snowpack is generally more stable.
The weather is nicer.
I find I need less gear & can travel lighter.
Experience with timing & terrain choice are critical.
Mainly I just find everything easier to deal with, more comfortable & I can cover a lot more terrain.

Agree with @Primoz that just being out there is the reward. I enjoy both the up & the down & days that I am climbing & skinning are a completely different activity to me than resort skiing. My expectations are different & really find it more comparable to Mountain Biking.

Here is a sample of some good corn skiing we did a couple of weeks ago...

TS
Joel

Joel

Having fun
Skier
So, the day I did go out wasn't a matter of not great, I really had to avoid scrapping up my skis. That is not fun to me. I've been up plenty where the snow was not great, and yes, I have a good time regardless. I think the biggest change I need to make is expand where I go. jmebs spot looks interesting. That's actually not a bad drive for me.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January