• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Win on Sunday, Sell Skis on Monday! (The "prop or stunt" skis anyway lol)

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
I've recently noticed something while watching World Cup and Olympic races/training runs.

By background, I grew up watching Phil and Steve Mahre and Ingemar Stenmark win just about every other race. And every time they won, or even didn't win, they held their skis against their shoulders, their actual skis mind you, to give interviews, pose for photos, podium ceremonies, etc. This of course caused the general consumer to walk into their favorite ski shop and say "I want Phil's skis", never mind if a World Cup Slalom ski was totally inappropriate for this consumer lol. Remember how many true slalom racing skis we'd see on the mountain back in those days?

Fast forward to today, I've noticed with Head in particular, perhaps other manufacturers as well, when the current "Pole Sitter" is in the "First Place" sitting area, if he is a Head skier, he is NOT holding his actual World Cup Slalom Skis that he just raced, but rather a "prop" or "stunt" ski, the Head SuperShape iSpeed, which is basically a more consumer-friendly race-inspired ski. Also, even during the podium ceremony, Head skiers are hoisting up the SuperShape iSpeed ski, not their actual World Cup racing skis they used.

I suppose ski manufacturers, maybe Head in particular, have figured out that if the "Win on Sunday, Sell'em on Monday" is going to happen, then they'd rather point the general consumer in a more consumer-friendly direction than their true World Cup race skis.

Anyone else noticed this?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I definitely noticed in the interviews after the downhill training sessions. The skis they were holding when interviewed came to forehead level. The ones they just raced on had to be 215-220.
The DH skis that they use look more like old strait skis.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
The DH skis that they use look more like old strait skis.
Yeah totally different. I watched the interview with Bryce Bennett and just kind of thought it was his get around ski. Figured after every run they give their DH ski to their tech then ride the lift on something else.
Might be that there's just a rep down there with a bright shiny ski for them to hold on camera?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've recently noticed something while watching World Cup and Olympic races/training runs.

By background, I grew up watching Phil and Steve Mahre and Ingemar Stenmark win just about every other race. And every time they won, or even didn't win, they held their skis against their shoulders, their actual skis mind you, to give interviews, pose for photos, podium ceremonies, etc. This of course caused the general consumer to walk into their favorite ski shop and say "I want Phil's skis", never mind if a World Cup Slalom ski was totally inappropriate for this consumer lol. Remember how many true slalom racing skis we'd see on the mountain back in those days?

Fast forward to today, I've noticed with Head in particular, perhaps other manufacturers as well, when the current "Pole Sitter" is in the "First Place" sitting area, if he is a Head skier, he is NOT holding his actual World Cup Slalom Skis that he just raced, but rather a "prop" or "stunt" ski, the Head SuperShape iSpeed, which is basically a more consumer-friendly race-inspired ski. Also, even during the podium ceremony, Head skiers are hoisting up the SuperShape iSpeed ski, not their actual World Cup racing skis they used.

I suppose ski manufacturers, maybe Head in particular, have figured out that if the "Win on Sunday, Sell'em on Monday" is going to happen, then they'd rather point the general consumer in a more consumer-friendly direction than their true World Cup race skis.

Anyone else noticed this?
You are not mistaken with your observations. This happens for a couple of reasons, mostly for the reasons you say, they want to show off the consumer version. Head is not alone here, you will see it with all of the competitors and brands, as soon as they pop out of their race skis, they are handed a consumer version to get their picture taken. The other reason is that the race skis some times have technology they don't want/need the consumer to see. You will also see some of the racers skiing on older bindings that they have for whatever reason...

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Aimed at the European market more than the US? Not sure how many WC skiers are known to the general USA skiing community and how much influence they would have on ski purchases.

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Aimed at the European market more than the US? Not sure how many WC skiers are known to the general USA skiing community and how much influence they would have on ski purchases.

The market is younger racers and parents who buy the skis. There might only be 100k people in the USA watching FIS WC races on NBC but they're pretty serious about it. It also influences instructors, coaches, and most importantly the pimply kid selling at the ski shop who has a crush on Lara Gut or Mikaela Shiffrin.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you thought you were getting "Phil's skis" in the 80's, I've got a bridge I'd love to talk to you about.

You mean like special tuning or something?

Was there enough money sloshing around Ski Teams in the 1980's that they'd have one-off special construction skis with a stock topsheet put on?

Yes, these guys skied skis especially built for them and no they were NOT Volkls. When Phil skied a VO Slalom, it was a flex of about 26.5 and a regular VO or Slalom 77 of the day was about a 22..what do these numbers mean? According to the late Ed Chase, who tuned Phil's skis, they needed 26.5LB to flex an inch, the regular ones need about 22lb. Oh, and yes they were specially tuned. These had as much in common with the skis that we bought off the wall as Dale Ernhardts Thunderbird did with the one in the showroom.

Ventura

Booting up
Skier
Back to our regular program... :D

I have noticed the 'show skis' since they first started the practice and quite frankly it annoys me. I find their actual race skis much more interesting than a pair of SuperShapes etc. that I see everywhere, all the time.

Would have been funny if Bode, as he was 'Heading out', had grabbed a pair of these for a podium ski:

head-bys-rentals-b.jpg

What if F1 drivers swapped rides before pulling up to the podium? Imagine a team Renault driver standing on top of this, spraying the crowd with champagne:

2018-renault-9-turbo-5.jpg

Maybe that's not a good comparison, as modern F1 has become very boring & ski racing is still exciting, except for those infernal podium skis...

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Even with all that being true, you'd still have height friendly podium skis that allow the logo fit nicely in the camera frame. Honestly, I only ever noticed the change in length, not the change in the model. Guess I'm not very observant.

TS
Y

YolkyPalky

Skier
Even with all that being true, you'd still have height friendly podium skis that allow the logo fit nicely in the camera frame. Honestly, I only ever noticed the change in length, not the change in the model. Guess I'm not very observant.

I only noticed it because I've recently been reading/viewing a lot about the Head SuperShape line, and in fact have a 17/18 iRally coming my way! So when I saw the Head racers holding up or posing with an iSpeed ski from the SuperShape line (great ski to be sure) I was like, hey those aren't the World Cup racing skis they just used lol.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The bindings are like 30 DIN too on the skis they ski. Meanwhile us bump skiers get to see the real ski they used held high overhead.. not because the ski the very top skiers use is exactly the same as the ones you may or may not be able to find available for retail consumption.. but because there are far fewer bump skis produced for retail consumption..

Fake bumps, fake air jumps, but real skis!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The whole "podium ski" process, and tradition continues, but it's marketing value is, I'm told negligible these days.

Back in the day, racers did step on the podium with their actual race skis, boots over the shoulder, goggles positioned just right, poles in hand. Then there were some fairly significant gaffes when what showed up in the press was very clearly nothing like what that company was producing for sale, which led to "get those boots" out of the picture", get him a pair of something we want to sell, etc.

I recall being at a WC race, and there Lange crew being excited at a podium sweep and furious when the pictures showed all three guys in custom carbon fiber Lange boots, with custom leather foam liners {actually made by Stroltz}. For the rest of the season there was one guy who had "podium boots" to swap out while he guarded the real boots.

As @Philpug mentions, there as almost never been much in common between what a true WC race ski is like, and what recent skis any of us could obtain were. Even if you had an R {race stock} serial numbered VO with an identical flex tag, chances are the layup was a bit different. I can attest to that. I had a pair of KVO's, used by WCer, and I had a couple of other pairs that were still R stock. None were a thing like the KVC which they looked like. The real ones had a laminated wood core. Even Ed Chase would dispute their existance, HaHa!

Today, the Atomic "thing" is really interesting. Forget what the two big guns really ski on. Every single little ski racing girl wants to be on Atomic, just like MS. And she wants all of the look. Absolutely understandable!

So when those little girls become maybe U12's or so, perhaps in "better" programs where a lot of thought goes into what boots might be best, and then, long before they might get a deal, when it's explained that NO kid needs to be in the same boot and ski brand, the Atomic love may cease. Some coaches may make the recommendation. Depends on the kid.

But younger ages? Give me Atomic, or give Mr Head......if it's US hero worship.

Chuckling thinking about the podium stuff. Somewhere I have some LEKI and Komperdell ski straps that have loops on them to hold poles to the ski{s}. Made just for that purpose!

In Europe, I do think it results in some more ski sales. Not like it once did.

Freestyle is a whole different thing. Friends of my kids would have to affix sponsor stickers to the topsheets of their skis, all camera worthy, just in case.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The whole "podium ski" process, and tradition continues, but it's marketing value is, I'm told negligible these days.

Back in the day, racers did step on the podium with their actual race skis, boots over the shoulder, goggles positioned just right, poles in hand. Then there were some fairly significant gaffes when what showed up in the press was very clearly nothing like what that company was producing for sale, which led to "get those boots" out of the picture", get him a pair of something we want to sell, etc.

The debate and criticisms, damned if you do, damned if you don't have gotten resurgence as of late thanks to practically everyone having big screens with full HDTV. In the past, back in the analog days folks out of the competition loop only noticed on the podium close ups that the gear didn't look stock.. So, they switch to stock gear for the podium close ups. Now everyone has big screen HDTV, and with the ability to freeze, rewind, and play super slo mo to see that the podium close up ski isn't the ski run ski.. i.e. damned if you do. damned if you don't now.

TS
Y

YolkyPalky

Skier
....Now everyone has big screen HDTV, and with the ability to freeze, rewind, and play super slo mo to see that the podium close up ski isn't the ski run ski....

Well, Head makes it pretty easy without HDTV when the Race ski is this:
1200.jpg

And the Podium ski is this:
1200.jpg

LOL ogsmile.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually. I am pretty sure the race skis are taken away by FIS immediately the racer finishes to check them for compliance with Regs
You would think that would be done prior.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You would think that would be done prior.

No, because then you would have too ensure a secure chain of custody between them being checked and the racer getting into the start gate, too many opportunities to switch. And remember the serviceman will typically have several pairs ready to go at the start so it may be a very last minute decision, based on course reports, which pair the racer uses. So the skis are taken at the finish to ensure it is the actual pair used. Can happen at all levels of racing. There were several kids from Diamond Peak DQ'd at a USSA race at Mammoth last year for using illegal skis (they were not on the >30m skis mandated)

Sponsor

Staff online