• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok, I'm clueless. What is Abysinnia? Is that a beer created from the hops fertilized by Abyssinian cats? Or brewed by naughty nuns in the Abyss root cellar ?
Oh, I thought you'd heard me using that: it's really "I'll be seeing ya", 'cos @raisingarizona has got the beer ... ogsmile . However, tell me more about these naughty nuns of your acquaintance - I never remember you mentioning them before?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
“quite a lot of people’s ski trips were already more or less like this before the pandemic — not everybody is looking to play mouth beer pong on their ski vacations — and since ski resorts will likely need to operate at significantly reduced capacity in order to maintain social distancing, it’s for the best that resorts primarily be serving people who live within driving distance.”

I resemble that remark. :ogbiggrin:

But the “not getting on a plane” part will impact on my motivation for buying a pass. If I’m not going out west, there’s not quite the justification to renew my Epic pass.

Ever since the mega-pass came onto the scene, I’ve “short changed“ many of the independent mountains not on the mega-pass. But as I was going out west, it made more sense to pay for the multi-mountain pass and get the main cost out of the way. Then, it’s hard to justify paying daily ticket to ski outside of the mountains not on my pass.

My indecision on renewing my Epic Pass may be further swayed by my wish to revisit many of the independent mountains nearby. I can also easily supplement trips to indie mountains with XC skiing. May even do a few days of BC skiing if condition warrant it.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The very idea of anybody knowingly, with an active virus, breaking quarantine and going out into the population spreading this life taking disease is preposterous and akin to manslaughter. Unfortunately there are ultra selfish people who would do this very thing!
Just watched “Frontline” on PBS. It’s about the agricultural workers. It makes me think...

These are low wage workers. They have no health insurance, no paid sick leaves. So what do you expect them to do when they get “symptoms”? Stay home, no work, not get paid? May even risk getting fired if they‘re out for multiple days?

And what if they got something else that‘s not contagious? They stay home and risk their job for nothing?

This has been one of the selling point of universal health insurance, which is if you let the mildly sick get sicker because they can’t afford to see a doctor before it gets worse. it actually cost more overall. And as us insured are effectively subsidizing the uninsured, we ended up paying for it after all.

In a pandemic, it comes into much sharper focus. Instead of staying home, or going to the doctors early, they go to work instead, infecting the rest of their crew.

(you would have thought ”the crew” could chip in to let the unwell to stay home instead of risk getting everyone infected. But wait, isn’t that the definition of insurance?)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
School is like this. What do parents do? You can't be as productive when you are dealing with two kids at home. But if they go to school an outbreak is just a matter of time. Damned if you do. Or don't..

Sponsor

Staff online