• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Daniel , love that first shot of the Porky. Have you ever heard of anyone getting stuck by their quills?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Daniel , love that first shot of the Porky. Have you ever heard of anyone getting stuck by their quills?
We used to have an Irish setter who was quite adept at finding porcupines and skunks. You'd think he'd have learned after the first time. Or the second. Or the third...

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not familiar with anyone who has been stuck with porcupine quills although no doubt it does happen. As Andy Mink indicated, dogs have been known to have run-ins with porcupines and I've seen photographs of both dogs and mountain lions with faces and mouths full of quills.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Yeah, I've seen lots of those pics... it doesn't go well for the dogs.

1594510997671.png

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is a Blue-winged Kookaburra, which was perched on a low-hanging branch at the kayak hire concession at Nitmiluk National Park in Northern Territory, Australia. We were in the process of renting kayaks to paddle Katherine Gorge and this Kookaburra remained present (and silent) for the entire transaction. Kookaburras are Kingfishers and, if you've never heard what they sound like, here's a link to a sample:
They can go on and on and on and make it totally impossible to sleep in the morning when camping in the bush, which we did for months on end.
kookaburra.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This is a Blue-winged Kookaburra, which was perched on a low-hanging branch at the kayak hire concession at Nitmiluk National Park in Northern Territory, Australia. We were in the process of renting kayaks to paddle Katherine Gorge and this Kookaburra remained present (and silent) for the entire transaction. Kookaburras are Kingfishers and, if you've never heard what they sound like, here's a link to a sample:
They can go on and on and on and make it totally impossible to sleep in the morning when camping in the bush, which we did for months on end.
View attachment 106137
What a racket, I think that is why 12 gauge bird shot was invented.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
What a gorgeous photo! Lovely hummingbird, and that shot clearly required some skill and patience too!
It is a great picture, I imagine a little bit of luck is also involved.

Sponsor

Staff online