• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
little one yesterday
red squirrel.jpg

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The little one was watching me snap the picture. So subtle ....I didn't even see until after the first two frames were captured. A slick of motion, then it was I who was captured in observation.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Except the background isn't in focus either. Are you sure the lens was clean @Snowfan? This could also be camera movement if the camera used a bit longer exposure to try to brighten the deer - but most phones don't do that often or in normal picture taking mode.

Do all your photos look like this? Have you tried more than one photo app?
Thanks dbostedo , here is todays pic...not wildlife but yes wild life :) Pic of truck next to Canadian River...all out of focus. Will google and search for GalaxyS10e photo info. Lens clear...settings hard to understand...resolution # unfindable.
20200108_174027.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
More birds looking for love....
20200411_122658.jpg

She's ignoring you.
20200411_122652.jpg

Keep trying....
20200411_122713.jpg

Looks like we have a stalking situation.
20200411_122921.jpg

One more time. Psst. She isn't even looking in your direction.
20200411_122926.jpg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
"Seen one, seen em' all"
It was a pretty special encounter. I sat not 20' from it for close to 1/2 an hour while I had lunch. He/she watched me while I watched him/her the whole time. I think it was waiting for me to fall off the cliff ;).

Here are a few more.
View attachment 12018 View attachment 12019 View attachment 12020 View attachment 12021
So often when the gender of an animal is not obvious, everyone assumes it is male and uses the pronoun "he." This is like saying "man" when one means all humans, as if females are OK with being referred to as "men." That habit has gone out of favor, but it still happens when people talk about animals. I'm so glad you didn't do that.

I just now realized your post was made a long time ago. I have no idea how I ended up reading page one. I still want to make the point anyway.

Last edited:

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
We were astonished to find this insect crawling over the snow at Crystal Mtn. It's slightly over two inches long! It would seem large by summertime standards in the PNW, but at 4500 feet in April???

200409 2-inch bug on snow.jpg

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
^^ Interesting. Following along some of the info on the brown bears at Katmai (Brooks Falls), I thought I read that mom is still caring for her cubs in their 2nd season. I think that care is along the lines of defending and teaching, not feeding. I thought maybe that's the norm among bears in general.

Looks like homeschooling is over for that youngster.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
^^^ Yes, it is my understanding that Momma bear is close by monitoring through the 2nd year. Although cinnamon in color, these are black bears in Tahoe.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
^^ Interesting. Following along some of the info on the brown bears at Katmai (Brooks Falls), I thought I read that mom is still caring for her cubs in their 2nd season. I think that care is along the lines of defending and teaching, not feeding. I thought maybe that's the norm among bears in general.

Looks like homeschooling is over for that youngster.
Yeah, as @4ster said these are California black bear even though they range from brown/black/blonde/cinnamon in color. They stay with their mom through the 2nd winter and then separate around 16 months.

Last edited:

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I thought it was odd seeing this guy on the ground at the golf course today:
00ADCFE6-9378-4BEA-8455-33ADB50BB9EE.jpeg

And then I saw this close by:
EDCFCFB3-988B-48F4-8E4A-ABF8B3280CE1.jpeg

There was an attempt, unsuccessful, shortly thereafter. And then I went on to the next hole because I didn’t want to see success.

Sponsor