• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
They just posted this up on facebook a bit ago:

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-4_21-51-10.png
    upload_2017-9-4_21-51-10.png
    394.5 KB · Views: 2
TS
John O

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Latest update: Firefighters are evacuating too due to the risk of the road getting cut off by fire.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This could be such a huge loss for the PNW.

There does not look to be any rain in the foreseeable future, and that is about the only thing that will stop this thing. There will be more bad news like this befor this fire season is over.

21317466_10209781056348685_7885414962335004495_n.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I remember fire season all too well. The burnt smell in the air, working from home because the air quality at my office was bad. Seeing the flames in that hill behind my house and having the car all loaded up in case we were next to evacuate. Roads closed due to the fire jumping the freeway. One of my best surfing days was when fires were nearby. Calm air, offshore winds, long rollers breaking far out and that smell in the air. It was a part of my life for a long time. I hope damage is minimal and the fires are contained.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
In 2005 (I think) a wildfire got within 3 kms of Sun Peaks before the advancing flames stopped and were eventually doused by rain. As a precaution while the fire was still advancing, the resort turned on the snow guns and used them to soak down the hotels in the SP village.
Later they re-plumbed things so that the water up in the alpine snow-making gravity feed reservoir could be hooked directly to the village fire hydrants and then used as an additional fire fighting water source.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The fires up there are crazy right now. We drove past the one near Cascade Locks yesterday and it was burning less then 1/4 mile off the interstate. Started by fireworks :(

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I am working no where near any of the fires in Buffalo,WY (where I-25 meets I-90) and the smoke has pretty much been to the point where you can't see the Big Horn Mts. about 3 miles away. It has been that way since early August. Montana is getting toasted.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
So, has Crystal so far eluded the flames and did they get any rain today? It rained all morning into the early afternoon in Victoria.

TS
John O

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
So, has Crystal so far eluded the flames and did they get any rain today? It rained all morning into the early afternoon in Victoria.

They got a small amount of rain up there, but not a lot I don't think. However from the latest post from the Greenwater Fire Fighters Association, it sounds like very good news regarding the fire. No damage to the ski area and looks very promising that it will stay that way: