• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wide Womens All Mountain Skis

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Currently ski Nordica La Nina 161 113 under foot, rocker camber rocker, powder ski that handles quite well when there's not powder. Also ski Kastle FX 95HP 165. I call these my ice skates and bring them out when I know it will be firm. Recently I've not been as excited with these as they felt like they had a life of their own. Not sure if tuning, conditions, or user error. I've had them for at least a season and generally enjoyed putting them on edge and relatively easy turn initiation.

I'm looking for something in between these skis. I recently demoed Nordica Santa Anna 100 and Atomic Backland FR 102 W. I like something I can get on edge, but also has some rocker to pivot and maneuver in trees and bumps. I preferred the Santa Annas on the firm day at Loveland and they were pretty easy to slide through bumps. Santa Annas had a lot of the aspects of the La Nina I liked, but without tail rocker, smaller waist, and metal. Heavily leaning toward these, but want to investigate other choices.

I'm also interested in some fully rockered skis (something different for me) like the Volkl 100eight and Moment Bella. Anyone have experience with these or the mens version? Am I crazy to think I could use this as a daily driver? Will try to demo to just get a feel.

As a reference point, I ski quite a few days out of Front Range CO skiing from A Basin to Steamboat. Really like tree skiing and sometimes steeper stuff. I'm short 5'2" on a good day and like longish skis 160-165, below feels like not enough, and beyond that is a lot of ski to move in tight spaces. This would be a strictly resort ski. Thanks for the consideration. Open to other ski recommendations too!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've been skiing my Santa Ana 100s all week in Tahoe. The metal makes a difference on the groomers and they are fantastic on the bumps and in the trees.

I've also demoed the 100eights but just on groomers and found them fantastic.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Currently ski Nordica La Nina 161 113 under foot, rocker camber rocker, powder ski that handles quite well when there's not powder. Also ski Kastle FX 95HP 165. I call these my ice skates and bring them out when I know it will be firm. Recently I've not been as excited with these as they felt like they had a life of their own. Not sure if tuning, conditions, or user error. I've had them for at least a season and generally enjoyed putting them on edge and relatively easy turn initiation.

I'm looking for something in between these skis. I recently demoed Nordica Santa Anna 100 and Atomic Backland FR 102 W. I like something I can get on edge, but also has some rocker to pivot and maneuver in trees and bumps. I preferred the Santa Annas on the firm day at Loveland and they were pretty easy to slide through bumps. Santa Annas had a lot of the aspects of the La Nina I liked, but without tail rocker, smaller waist, and metal. Heavily leaning toward these, but want to investigate other choices.

I'm also interested in some fully rockered skis (something different for me) like the Volkl 100eight and Moment Bella. Anyone have experience with these or the mens version? Am I crazy to think I could use this as a daily driver? Will try to demo to just get a feel.

As a reference point, I ski quite a few days out of Front Range CO skiing from A Basin to Steamboat. Really like tree skiing and sometimes steeper stuff. I'm short 5'2" on a good day and like longish skis 160-165, below feels like not enough, and beyond that is a lot of ski to move in tight spaces. This would be a strictly resort ski. Thanks for the consideration. Open to other ski recommendations too!

You and I pretty much ski the same areas. This year I found myself using my Head Monster 88's most days. I used my Moment Deathwish (112mm wide) very little. Only on days with more than 5-6" fresh did they come out. That said, I added a pair of Black Crows Navis Freebirds (102mm wide) which are awesome in the backcountry but work well at the resort. They are a bit too light for me as a resort ski since I am 190 lbs (6-2) but for someone much lighter they would be superb as a resort ski for Colorado.

That width (102mm) along with mostly camber underfoot and some tip and tail rocker is really nice for a OSQ for here. I would not want something much narrower if I were to encounter powder from time to time. The Camox is also a great option.

I would not just look at the women's versions of skis since a lot of "men's" skis are available in 165ish lengths. That gives a lot more choices! As a bonus, usually men's skis in the shorter lengths can be had for low prices!

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd add the Atris Birdie to your list! I haven't skied them in powder yet, but was really surprised how stable they were in crud and good edgehold on the icy groomers. I originally thought the Santa Ana 100 was going to be my ski, but I demoed the Atris based on the fact that Powder Mag and Freeride Mag both rated them as the best ski for women overall. The changes between softening them, but extending the turn radius makes for a really good balance between pop & stability.

I still haven't demoed the Santa Ana, but I think the Atris and a Santa Ana 93 could be a really nice west coast quiver.

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
I'd add the Atris Birdie to your list! I haven't skied them in powder yet, but was really surprised how stable they were in crud and good edgehold on the icy groomers. I originally thought the Santa Ana 100 was going to be my ski, but I demoed the Atris based on the fact that Powder Mag and Freeride Mag both rated them as the best ski for women overall. The changes between softening them, but extending the turn radius makes for a really good balance between pop & stability.

I still haven't demoed the Santa Ana, but I think the Atris and a Santa Ana 93 could be a really nice west coast quiver.

Analisa, how do you think the Atris Birdie would work for a very light teen? Looking for something new for my youngest daughter. She’s 5’3” and just over 80 pounds, pretty good skier who spends a lot of times in the trees and likes to find ramps and jumps to make small fun jumps when on the groomers. If the Atris Birdie is fairly stiff that may be disqualifying, given her size and the fact that going fast is not really high on her list.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier

Thanks I'll try to get a hold a pair, especially now they make a 160 length. Earlier this season I demoed some Camox Birdies (not very exciting) and some Daemon Birdies. The Daemons were too long of a length for me, but very solid ski and probably lighter than something like the Volkl Auras.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@ChrisFromOC - I'd be a little on the fence about it depending on what she's skiing now, where you ski, and I'm guessing you're buying for next season, so how much she grows.

I'm 5-3/115 and riding the 169s. They're really playful and have a lot of pop, so I've noticed they're easy to flex, but they definitely don't flop. (I'm also comparing flex against the Sheeva 10, QST/Stella 106, men's Atomic Backland, and men's ON3P Kartel 98).

I'd be less worried about the flex than the geometry. I finally got the ski out in powder yesterday and they're amazing, but I'm not sure if I need all 108mm underfoot to float. At 80lbs, my first reaction is that it might be a little wide, but then again, the Line Sir Francis Bacon is pretty much the same width. And I've noticed that I really have to be leaning into my boots and skiing aggressively for them to feel best. It's hard to back off, poke around, or explore a new line without them feeling off balance and like they're mounted a little far back. They also don't flex much when you're not moving, and suddenly you really feel the 20m turn radius trying to get it through tight spots.

At her size, I'd also recommend checking out Line Pandora 95s. I skied them as my only ski inbounds & out for the past year and they're still my touring setup. I bought them based on reviews that they're good for the lightweight crowd, and the fact that they have a turn radius that serves quick turns but enough stiffness for stability. I progressed a ton on them. They do surprisingly well in powder for being under 100mm. They're getting a redesign to mirror the Sick Day line starting next year which aims to make them a little more hardpack friendly, but I won't get to ski them until the end of the month. A part of me is worried I'll like the 104s so much I regret the Atris. But that also means the current 95 and 110 versions should be on a deep discount.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Black Pearl 98, Sheeva 10, or even Sheeva 9. The Sheevas are a hoot even on the groomers.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Analisa, how do you think the Atris Birdie would work for a very light teen? Looking for something new for my youngest daughter. She’s 5’3” and just over 80 pounds.
Getting rather OT here, but my daughter is the same size, bit heavier (98 lbs) and skis the K2 Pinnacle Jr 85mm in a 149 this year. See jr skis thread:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/skis-for-11-year-old-similar-to-mantra-but-with-camber.7864/

https://www.pugski.com/threads/sizing-a-tall-skinny-tween.9029/

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I love the 100Eights!

They are quick in the trees & bumps, love athe powder and quick to edge on the groomed runouts.

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
@ChrisFromOC - I'd be a little on the fence about it depending on what she's skiing now, where you ski, and I'm guessing you're buying for next season, so how much she grows.

I'm 5-3/115 and riding the 169s. They're really playful and have a lot of pop, so I've noticed they're easy to flex, but they definitely don't flop. (I'm also comparing flex against the Sheeva 10, QST/Stella 106, men's Atomic Backland, and men's ON3P Kartel 98).

I'd be less worried about the flex than the geometry. I finally got the ski out in powder yesterday and they're amazing, but I'm not sure if I need all 108mm underfoot to float. At 80lbs, my first reaction is that it might be a little wide, but then again, the Line Sir Francis Bacon is pretty much the same width. And I've noticed that I really have to be leaning into my boots and skiing aggressively for them to feel best. It's hard to back off, poke around, or explore a new line without them feeling off balance and like they're mounted a little far back. They also don't flex much when you're not moving, and suddenly you really feel the 20m turn radius trying to get it through tight spots.

At her size, I'd also recommend checking out Line Pandora 95s. I skied them as my only ski inbounds & out for the past year and they're still my touring setup. I bought them based on reviews that they're good for the lightweight crowd, and the fact that they have a turn radius that serves quick turns but enough stiffness for stability. I progressed a ton on them. They do surprisingly well in powder for being under 100mm. They're getting a redesign to mirror the Sick Day line starting next year which aims to make them a little more hardpack friendly, but I won't get to ski them until the end of the month. A part of me is worried I'll like the 104s so much I regret the Atris. But that also means the current 95 and 110 versions should be on a deep discount.

My bad, I was talking about the wrong ski. The one I’m considering for my youngest is the Captis Birdie at 90 mm waste width. I’m concerned about going too wide as she’s been on a Völkl Pyra Jr twin for a few years which is somewhere around an 80. Captis Birdie at a 149 may be a ski that works for a few years for her.

chris

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Volkl 100 Eights would make a good one quiver ski for the front range. Carve like you'd expect from a Volkl on the groomers and do well in powder and are predictable in crud. So +1 on that recommendation. They have a different feel, though, because they shave weight by making the edges thin, so I found it takes a little getting used to to trust them. Really great ski.

Mine got ruined and I wasn't able to replace them, so ended up with a Liberty Envy. It is 105? underfoot and 167 or 8. And I found I liked that ski even better! It does everything the Volkl did on the groomers and bumps, but is even more playful and quicker and easier in the trees. More forgiving too, (the Volkl will let you know when you get back) yet just as capable at speed or on hard pack, even in the wind polished, refrozen hard-pack groomers at Winter Park a few weeks ago. I actually had better edge hold with the fatter Liberty skis than I did with my 80 something Scotts in those conditions. (I am 5' 3 1/2" and still shrinking and 117 lbs.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 100Eights get a ton of love, but I really enjoyed the DPS Zelda 106 a ton. That is my go to option for powder days these days.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm looking for something in between these skis

Just curious why you're going so wide for your "narrow" ski. Why not look at something in the 85 - 90 range?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Just curious why you're going so wide for your "narrow" ski. Why not look at something in the 85 - 90 range?

Yeah, I always think my 98mm wide Blizzard Bonifides ski the groomers just fine...until I get on my Kastle MX 83s.ogsmile

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On first glace I parsed the title of this thread as: "Wide Women's All Mountain Skis" -- as in "Skis for wide women" Not "Wide All Mountain Skis for Women".

Yeah, I chose not to go there. I hate it when my grammar police side gets mistaken for sexism. :)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid