• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My 12 year old son needs new ski boots because his Dalbelo Menace 4's are too narrow. Is there a particular brand that runs wide?

He skied a 25.5 last year and told me they were too tight now. Turns out the length is fine, even a little long, but they're pinching down on the sides.

I'll take him to a shop but I'd like to do a little research about options ahead of time

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does he need a youth or adult boot?

Based on his normal shoe size, which is 6 right now but getting tight, I'm guessing a 24.5 or 25 mondo. I think that means junior/youth.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I saw those. I've been reading up since posting and Salomon, Tecnica and Nordica all seem to have good options in the 104mm range. Looking at a 70-80 flex.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
Let us know how you get on. We had the same issue last year in a 22.5 and had a really hard time finding something. Ended up with a dalbello scorpion in a 22.5 which were eye watering expensive. His feet have grown two sizes in one year so we are about to begin the process again

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Based on his normal shoe size, which is 6 right now but getting tight, I'm guessing a 24.5 or 25 mondo. I think that means junior/youth.
I am in a 25.5, we have a few other "adults" here that are in 24.5's. Yes, there are junior boots that go that big, many to 27.5 but most adult boots also start in that range too so you will have a bunch of options. At 12, he is not done growing yet but becareful of falling into the trap of getting a boot for him to grow into. As a boot gets bigger it also does get more volumous but it also get perportionally larger in that the widest point of the boot now does not match the widest spot of his foot.

What does he weigh? How aggressive of a skier is he? Many junior boots are significant compromises in materials because they need to keep the prices down. Yes, there are junior race boots but they will tend to be narrower so you will be avoiding them. You might be looking at entry level adult boots that are more volumous and give you more options.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He weighs 105 lbs and is 4'-10". Very athletic low intermediate but learning fast (he's a natural). He was on a gymnastics competition team for 5 years and now does parkour regularly. It's weird having a 'jacked' muscular 12 y.o. ogsmile

Aggressive? Sometimes but not always, depending on the trail and his confidence level. He's working on making his turns smaller and linked but doesn't have a lot of body movement yet.

I'm open to any boot for him, assuming the price isn't insane. I'm trying to avoid the 'get one size larger' trap you mentioned and that's easier to do with a cheaper boot.

Anyway, below are the boots I've found so far that are wide, in no particular order.

http://www.skis.com/Salomon-Quest-Access-70-T-Kids-Ski-Boots/397606P,default,pd.html

https://www.levelninesports.com/salomon-quest-access-80-ski-boots

http://www.skis.com/Tecnica-Ten.2-70-HVL-Ski-Boots/473874P,default,pd.html

http://www.skis.com/Nordica-Cruise-80-Ski-Boots/443822P,default,pd.html

I'm thinking that this one might be too stiff for him:
http://www.skis.com/Salomon-QST-Access-70-T-Kids-Ski-Boots/493370P,default,pd.html

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let us know how you get on. We had the same issue last year in a 22.5 and had a really hard time finding something. Ended up with a dalbello scorpion in a 22.5 which were eye watering expensive. His feet have grown two sizes in one year so we are about to begin the process again

Will do. He's likely going to go through a growth spurt approximately 5 minutes after I buy the boots :doh:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup. Hopefully I can find them locally.
Keep in mind that a good fitter can punch the boots to make them wider if its more of a Jr boot or adult boot, but not as easy with the plastics in kids boots.
Reiterating what Phil said above, there are tons of options in smaller men's boots with softer flex and bigger Jr boots that are targeting tweeners

MattZ

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Apologies for bumping this thread, but its the exact same situation I'm wrestling with currently and hopeful I can get some additional advice. My son is 12 yr old, WIDE hobbit like forefeet, size 8 to 9 street shoe (today haha), shell fits reasonably well a 26/26.5 boot. He's 4-11, 85 lbs (for the next few minutes anyway). My question, which isn't really addressed in the above great advice... what's an appropriate boot flex for him? I want to support his love of skiing and choose equipment that can help his progression, but not overdue it. He's comfortable on blue's today and enjoys taking on a black here and there, enjoys pushing the speed, but is very much still working on form. As he's quite light, I'm thinking around a 50 flex max. But very interested in feedback, guidance please! Related question... perhaps I should be considering a wmn's boot for him... as there are multiple options meeting lightweight, 50ish flex, and wide lasts (104ish)? thanks in advance!

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Wow! Does anyone out here think the OP should have his son go into a professional boot fitter and determine what his actual length, width, and instep measurements are?

Or should he just burn time and money researching useless boot sizes and models, then throw darts at the wall and guess what to do? And then after he buys a boot that does not solve the issue, go visit a professional fitter at a ski shop. Pennywise and pound foolish... Value is not that hard to find...especially when it is right in front of you.

Moderators, do you like how this is working out?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Apologies for bumping this thread, but its the exact same situation I'm wrestling with currently and hopeful I can get some additional advice. My son is 12 yr old, WIDE hobbit like forefeet, size 8 to 9 street shoe (today haha), shell fits reasonably well a 26/26.5 boot. He's 4-11, 85 lbs (for the next few minutes anyway). My question, which isn't really addressed in the above great advice... what's an appropriate boot flex for him? I want to support his love of skiing and choose equipment that can help his progression, but not overdue it. He's comfortable on blue's today and enjoys taking on a black here and there, enjoys pushing the speed, but is very much still working on form. As he's quite light, I'm thinking around a 50 flex max. But very interested in feedback, guidance please! Related question... perhaps I should be considering a wmn's boot for him... as there are multiple options meeting lightweight, 50ish flex, and wide lasts (104ish)? thanks in advance!

Two things you can't buy on the internet: a haircut and a boot fit. Just go to a reputable shop. Yes, there are wide jr boots. Yes, they can be punched.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

My kid was about the same size and weight last year. He might spend a bit more time on the black diamonds and 60 flex was good for him for two season, 11 and 12. Others have suggested that their children have higher flexes but I suppose there are several reasons for that. If his feet are that wide I think you need to go to a shop or try to get lucky at a ski swap. You want short cuff at that height. A lot of women with size 9 are quite tall.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! Does anyone out here think the OP should have his son go into a professional boot fitter and determine what his actual length, width, and instep measurements are?

Or should he just burn time and money researching useless boot sizes and models, then throw darts at the wall and guess what to do? And then after he buys a boot that does not solve the issue, go visit a professional fitter at a ski shop. Pennywise and pound foolish... Value is not that hard to find...especially when it is right in front of you.

Ehh, that's kind of unfair. A lot of these "what boot" threads wind up with the OP going to a boot fitter and listening to them, even if it doesn't match their research. They just feel uncomfortable going in ignorant. It doesn't necessarily mean they are going to buy something off the internet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

As I said here...
You have some ideas, now its time to see what actually fits and will work for him.

It still will come down to what fits his foot. People are trying to be helpful with some ideas. You know what the choices are for fitters...Not all boots are created equal and neither are all fitters. Yes, a good fitter is the best option, but thats not always an option.

Sponsor