• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Skinnier than your 88mm boats. Likely under 75. Probably a slalom ski. He won't stop moving dammit.

Are you saying the op should man up? It's taken like 10pgs to get there.

So, Quebec has no trees either?

You can't tell the skis are Rossi Pursuit 18 Elite 170 2013/14 edition? Sheeesh, what's the world coming to?

76mm under foot. (Then again, the pilot is not just anybody.)

Reckon the OP is on the right path. Size appropriate width.

James

Out There
Instructor
You can't tell the skis are Rossi Pursuit 18 Elite 170 2013/14 edition? Sheeesh, what's the world coming to?
That was before they became Heros or you left the term out for savings? Just for one day...

So tired of Rossi's "Hero" plastered over everything. Couldn't they make up their minds which skis were heroic?
Then, they use the David Bowie line on their ski straps. Almost as questionable as Alfa Romeo changing the name of their US edition car to "The Graduate". That didn't go well, but not much did for Alfa in those days.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
At this point with 280 posts, I am not sure there is a ski that hasn't been mentioned. ;) But the VMT76 should be on the short list.
It’s an ordered list :ogcool:

(ordered by potential)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They have been competing for an award the last few years as the best snowmaking and grooming in NE (un-specified NE acronym). They won it two seasons ago, not sure if it has been awarded yet for this past season.

I think they have stepped up their grooming effort recently, along with their snowmaking. Or maybe they are just getting it down to a science now. On a really big dump, it can take more than one day to cover the whole mtn. I think weekdays they take it a little easier as well. I spent two different weeks there this past season and enjoyed the experience. Trees hold good snow for days, they don't get tracked out nearly as quickly as the groomers.

We ended up in Maine a lot this year and I don't agree with the Sunday River overgrooming statements. Given the large viewership here it's not very friendly to pick on one place for overgrooming when it's really not an accurate statement, imho For getting around the mountain it's more efficient to stay on one side all day rather than go across to Jordan Oz.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
My Killington/ Vt season by width.

96 Volkl M5 - 75 days
76 Stockli SC - 39 days
106 Faction Dictators - 25 days
98 Renoun Endurance - 14 days

Only surprise from normal is the almost 40 days the Stockli SCs were pulled out of the truck. Friend in our daily posse commented that they were making me a better skier.

Volkl M5 is the winner for the daily driver.

For the op recommend - Stockli AX

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier

96 Volkl M5 - 75 days
76 Stockli SC - 39 days

Only surprise from normal is the almost 40 days the Stockli SCs were pulled out of the truck. Friend in our daily posse commented that they were making me a better skier.

Just curious - why the M5 over the Renoun?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Just curious - why the M5 over the Renoun?
The Renouns were getting tired after 161days and a couple of million vertical feet. They were my #1 ski the previous two seasons. The M5 has won the battle of this season but a lightly used pair of Renoun Endurances just joined my quiver. Cage match between these two skis that I love will resume next season. For now the M5 is the king and I still am a Mantra guy.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Too turny.

Skis can never be "too turny".

Interesting skiing in the spring glop. I'm out on my light Goode 74s. Being narrower, they don't pick up as much slush weight when you have to turn. Also, they have less area to get unburied from digging into the glop. Quick turns are necessary because the fun snow is on the steep bumpy pitches. Of course on the flat runouts, the narrow skis don't glide as well. Tradeoffs.

The guys I'm skiing with are making their big fat heavy Bonafides work in the same snow. They might be working harder (but they are younger, stronger and more skilled than me) and they get tired too. But they glide better so spend less time on the flat runouts.

Turning in the air between bumps makes edges, shapes and rockers less relevant in such mushy snow. That first turn is the hardest! Ski what you are comfortable riding.

Eric

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just joking around since we're on page 15. Assume op has some carvers and is just looking something all mountain but thin - turny is fun. I hear you about bashing through big soft bumps.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider

96 Volkl M5 - 75 days
76 Stockli SC - 39 days

I wonder who told you to purchase those skis?

:huh:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Eric[/QUOTE]
Skis can never be "too turny".

Interesting skiing in the spring glop. I'm out on my light Goode 74s. Being narrower, they don't pick up as much slush weight when you have to turn. Also, they have less area to get unburied from digging into the glop. Quick turns are necessary because the fun snow is on the steep bumpy pitches. Of course on the flat runouts, the narrow skis don't glide as well. Tradeoffs.

The guys I'm skiing with are making their big fat heavy Bonafides work in the same snow. They might be working harder (but they are younger, stronger and more skilled than me) and they get tired too. But they glide better so spend less time on the flat runouts.

Turning in the air between bumps makes edges, shapes and rockers less relevant in such mushy snow. That first turn is the hardest! Ski what you are comfortable riding.

Eric

Yeah go ski some heavy crud with breakable crust on top on a really extreme sidecut ski and tell me there is not such thing as too much sidecut.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Yeah go ski some heavy crud with breakable crust on top on a really extreme sidecut ski and tell me there is not such thing as too much sidecut.
BTW, what’s “breakable crust” for most of you, is just...crust for me at 120# ;)

(Or, I can just wait an hour till it’s all “broken” by normal sized folks. :)

Just saying.

The one kind of snow I found more demanding for us light weights are “almost” refrozen chopped up powder. We got bounced around a lot more when the heavier folks can just power through. (Until it totally refrozen, then it’s just challenging for all)

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^ What he said.

Next year Dynastar supposedly will have an 80 width Menace. Which is the new name for the Slicer. Currently 98.
Twin tip. Not a lot of sidecut likely.

That would be fun. Sounds like my IDOnes which are 78mm wide.

Sponsor

Staff online