• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Sad that you've had such a collection of poor experiences Sally. For everyone out there buying a lesson; private, group, etc... if you're NOT satisfied with the product, let the ski school know. In my humble experience, schools I've been associated with will comp you a lesson. Be clear up front what you want. Tough love? Let the instructor know. Coaching/teaching is both knowledge and art. Who clicks with who is by no means predictable. That said, it always bums me out when 'my' skill set is described in blanket form on line as sort of a 'since you did all the stupid exam tricks, you got a pin and now you're going to throw gobblty guck tecno babble at me and you suck.' It's sad because for many of us, that gold pin from PSIA is only a part of our ski experience, who we are, and what we bring to the hill. And yes, there's no getting around it.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
This is my card. I've had instructors at our hill, and at other hills, tell me that they received them. I give the guest their "homework" assignment on the cards, which they often relay to the next instructor. I'm also the only instructor at our hill (my old employer) who skis with an iPad and does video analysis of most guests. It is a big point of differentiation, and has built my repeat business.

Oversized, 4-color, and relatively cheap.

MG-s-Ski-Instruction-Business-Card.jpg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
You're allowed to operate as an independent on this hill?

Nope, but I promoted the hell out of myself. Ski school supervisors recognized that I had a ton of repeat business so they often sent privates to me. I always referred guests to ski school desk to book with me. I owned / built a few companies in the industry, so that marketing thing is just in my DNA. Ski instruction is just hobby for me - like it is for everyone else.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is my card. I've had instructors at our hill, and at other hills, tell me that they received them. I give the guest their "homework" assignment on the cards, which they often relay to the next instructor. I'm also the only instructor at our hill (my old employer) who skis with an iPad and does video analysis of most guests. It is a big point of differentiation, and has built my repeat business.

Oversized, 4-color, and relatively cheap.

MG-s-Ski-Instruction-Business-Card.jpg
I owned / built a few companies in the industry, so that marketing thing is just in my DNA.

Good work. No. Great work!

Anyone who is confident that they know their stuff as an instructor but doesn't have your marketing savvy should be asking you lots of questions. (In school they call it cheating. In the real world it's called market research.)

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bravo for martyg! Just think what would happen if all instructors made this kind of effort with their clients. Everyone taking a ski lesson should be able to see a video of themselves (along with comparison of their skiing vs. a top level skier doing the same thing) and get constructive comments, drills etc., to do their homework beyond the lesson. Video and other electronic analysis tools are used extensively in golf teaching with great effect. 'bout time that ski instruction got out of the stone age.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January