• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was just reminded of an article that I first read in 2011 and thought it was worth sharing....again.
The joy of sliding: Why our feet make skiing feel so sexy

Skiing’s sexy mojo might just be a marketing ploy combined with a sharky singles scene and Hollywood hype,
but a close look at the neurological relationship of the feet
and the brain suggests that skiing and sex may be more intimately related than we might suspect.

Pulitzer Prize-winning author of “A Natural History of the Senses,” Diane Ackerman, found scientific evidence that stroking, sliding and caressing motions are therapeutic. “The touching can’t be light, or it will tickle…, nor rough, or it will agitate …, but firm and steady, as if one were smoothing a crease from heavy fabric.” Great advice for the execution of the ideal ski turn: not too light; not too rough.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
When I skied with Horst Abraham at the PSIA National Academy thirty years ago, he termed the powder off the top of the Snowbird tram orgiastic. I'm reminded of that every time I get into eight to ten inches of freshies.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
On the best of days, I don't notice my feet. Most days, I am actively trying to ignore the messages the nerves in my feet are trying to send my brain.

But - pressure - skiing - yes! I just had a great lesson last Thursday with my favorite instructor, Jenn Losch, and she commented (paraphrased), "Stop pressing so hard into the snow! Everybody does that, but I've never seen anyone float into the air because they weren't pushing the snow hard enough."

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the best of days, I don't notice my feet. Most days, I am actively trying to ignore the messages the nerves in my feet are trying to send my brain.

But - pressure - skiing - yes! I just had a great lesson last Thursday with my favorite instructor, Jenn Losch, and she commented (paraphrased), "Stop pressing so hard into the snow! Everybody does that, but I've never seen anyone float into the air because they weren't pushing the snow hard enough."

as another Hoosier once said:

"Hurts soo good" - John Mellencamp

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was just reminded of an article that I first read in 2011 and thought it was worth sharing....again.
The joy of sliding: Why our feet make skiing feel so sexy

Skiing’s sexy mojo might just be a marketing ploy combined with a sharky singles scene and Hollywood hype,
but a close look at the neurological relationship of the feet
and the brain suggests that skiing and sex may be more intimately related than we might suspect.

Pulitzer Prize-winning author of “A Natural History of the Senses,” Diane Ackerman, found scientific evidence that stroking, sliding and caressing motions are therapeutic. “The touching can’t be light, or it will tickle…, nor rough, or it will agitate …, but firm and steady, as if one were smoothing a crease from heavy fabric.” Great advice for the execution of the ideal ski turn: not too light; not too rough.
hum, maybe why @Philpug is a bootfitter?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Ya know, we were just floating down a perfect 6" of silky side trail pow on a long green roller yesterday in the late afternoon and the word that came to mind was 'sexy'. Did it 3 times.

This was as opposed to wacking frozen whales under a wind load of fresh for much of the day, which was decidedly unsexy, unless the humor of watching me eat it was more of a turn on than foot sensations.

Which it may have been. :0

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Bump this thread, because....
giphy.gif

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
There isn't any sexuality in this person's feet but it is a most important part of our body's for bipedal movement. Well...if a nice looking woman wants to grab my feet, the rest of my body my feet connect to, is sure to smile. The foot and ankle anatomy and its nervous system control into the mammalian brain is a wonder of nature. Most of its actions once learned, occur automatically without we creature's needing to think about what it does once landing on its next foot step location. Our brains learn by experience and repetition to what feels normal and correct and is then able to repeat such efficiently via our semi subconscious movement brain.

Young kids happily enjoy sensations of bouncing on a bed, a board between cinder blocks, or a trampoline. With we adults, there can be similar skiing pleasureable sensations bouncing atop snow and rebound in turns, as well as feelings of acceleration, de-acceleration and sensations of direction momentum change that are felt throughout our musculoskeletal system via sensory proprioceptors. And of course the feet are part of that. Other movement sports like surfing, skateboarding, and dancing derive similar happiness pleasure from like smooth balanced varying movement. In any case, describing foot sensations while skiing with sexual terms at most is only an analogy.

Last edited:

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's all those 'S' words IMHO. Sliding, Snow, Skiing, Sexting, Suave, Svelte, Slinky, Supervoluptuous, Strong, Slick, Sonorous, Serpentine, Slitherin

just kidding! back to work now....

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's all those 'S' words IMHO. Sliding, Snow, Skiing, Sexting, Suave, Svelte, Slinky, Supervoluptuous, Strong, Slick, Sonorous, Serpentine, Slitherin

just kidding! back to work now....
Hmm....let's see.
Feet and S words (lke skiing) equals sexy?

Let's not forget the biggest "S" word of them all.

I mean what about when we step in $#!+

How enjoyable is that? And that can be soft, smooth, silky, and slippery not to mention stinky, sloppy, and last but not least steamy.

Last edited: