• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why oh why do we hang onto stuff?

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe there's a book titled,"Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Big?"

I circle around from hobby or interest to hobby or interest. I haven't bought any ski gear or music gear in over a year but really LOVE the collection/assortment I have. I've got about 8 guitars and two basses but I totally SUCK at guitar. Only got one massive drum set and do pretty well there. Guess I was trying to buy a chord for awhile. Son is a decent guitar player and plays in his high school guitar ensemble. Thinking someday me may want to have my guitars. The best one I have belonged to my father, which he bought in Madrid in 1956. It's worth quite a bit of money now.

I did buy more skateboards and skate shoes this month. Told my wife at least my mid life crisis hasn't put a Corvette in the driveway hahaha. I've lost count of how many Vans shoes I have, started collecting them around 2001, long before the cool kids started wearing them again. They remind me of my high school days.. but damn!
I've bought several more pairs since this photo was taken..
13043372_1275470679135134_7625309959475198835_n.jpg

I guess I can take some satisfaction in the fact that I actually wear them pretty much every day.

I am curious. What do you love about your collections? Do your collections impact your living space? Will your children want your collections when you are gone?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am curious. What do you love about your collections? Do your collections impact your living space? Will your children want your collections when you are gone?
Good question, I could justify a lot of answers like "saving them from the landfills" but it is really for fun and nostalgia . Yes. Hell no.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It is amazing how many Luddites try to keep ancient PCs on life support.
It was just the disks for the program, not an entire PC. I am down to just a stand alone laptop running Windows 10 and a smart phone running Windows 8.2, yes a Nokia Lumia Windows phone.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My board colelction and music gear are in the living room hanging up as wall art. Son plays guitar so me may want them. I've already put small price stickers on each thing so if I'm hit by a truck wife will know what to haggle with the pickers over more and what to just let go. I've also told wife I'm 100% fine with wife and kids just tossing it all in a dumpster or Goodwill if they don't want to be bothered trying to sell any of it.

61339266_2677220208960167_9219945099629166592_o.jpg

I actually still have a totally functional skateboard mini half pipe along side the house. All my boards are 100% functionable/ridable. I do ride several of them... about every other week or so often.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In addition to the typical clutter in the house (and in the basement, the barn, the garden shed and the tool shed), Shamora set a one-day record for plant purchases on Saturday, 42 (auspicious number if there ever was). It was a wholesale nursery sale to clear out remaining plants and they were reportedly ridiculously low-priced. Then we go on a garden tour Sunday, and stop by my sister’s (who is a landscaper and plant addict) to pick up another few dozen plants she was clearing out.

So I have no idea what the weekend haul totaled, but it is a lot. Some seedlings, some ready to go into pots, some rhododendrons and trees ready to go into the ground. Lots of ferns. As if we have time for this, we can’t even keep up with everything we already had..... I mean, we have to work and everything.

I have coined the term, “plant-polar” as this mimics the manic phase of bipolar. I guess I can’t call it a “disorder” but “plant-polar syndrome” works.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Until it is actually part of your collection, it is pure fantasy. A collection is fantasy made real.

Real particularly in the sense of describable to others. Without the reification, it is all subjective blah-blah no one else really relates to.

My fence space is reserved for the kayak collection.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm pretty good about stuff except the garage is a mess. My wife is pretty ruthless and I like to keep the house clean so we're a pretty good team. But you should see my daughter's barbie room and craft room, not to mention she has the biggest bedroom with the biggest closet which she manages to make impassible.

Uncle-A

Skier
I have inherited from my mother a part of her collection of these small ceramic figures from Germany called Hummel's. Some she received as gifts from my sister and I. When my wife and I were in Germany we purchased a few more of the Hummel's each of these figures relate to an important part or our travels. So as a child of a collector and a bit of a collector myself I understand how people feel about their stuff. Now my daughter will probably get rid of all our stuff and my wife has said she would dump all my ski stuff which is not much since the move to our new home.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Uncle-A

Skier
Usually at a 2:1 ratio.
When it comes to ski jackets my wife has me on a one for one ratio. I can't buy a new one till I tell her which one I am purging.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Seems as I purge old stuff, new stuff makes its way to the house.
Seems as I purge old stuff.. more OLD JUNK makes its way to the house.. Fixed it for ME..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have the ticket stubs from almost every live music and sporting event I've attended since the late 80s. Got t-shirts from most of the concerts as well. I'll even buy reissue t-shirts when the OG ones get too frail to keep wearing... and the OG ones that are see through but not quite falling apart are folded up in a tub at the bottom of my closet..

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
42 (auspicious number if there ever was)
This made me laugh, although I couldn't get through the book. I need to try again.

My "collections":
- Zox wristbands - I have about a dozen, then stopped buying because it was truly a silly black hole. At least my collection is small enough that the money I spent is not huge. I wear them all, and I've stuck to a theme of one subject, so I enjoy having what I have.
- Sneakers - nothing to rival the photo above (whew!)

I keep things more for sentimental reasons rather than wanting to have a collection. I keep lace antimacassars and doilies tucked away in drawers, my father's hankerchief, plastic bins filled with stuffed animals, those old "Little Books". Sometimes it's nice to have a rabbit hole to go down in going through the plastic bins in the garage.

Books don't feel like a collection to me although they do collect.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Who has hung onto some weird stuff for a really long time? For some reason I have some really old cologne. I guess it gets stuck in a medicine cabinet and never used. I'm not much of a fragrance guy.
From right to left: I think I got the Hai Karate around 1972. It's almost gone, I'm afraid of what might happen to me when it all evaporates. The stuff from the Virgin Islands was from my honeymoon there in 1980. The Reve d'or is from a trip to Martinique in 2015.
The beanie baby turkey is about 25 years old.
cologne.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online