• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why oh why do we hang onto stuff?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was getting a set of base layers out to go ski this morning and started to move some of my heavier base layers to winter storage tubs and get out some summer stuff. The next thing I knew, I had all my summer/winter stuff switched around and a couple garbage bags full of stuff that I'm going to take to Big Brothers/Big Sisters.

The thing is, I moved a bunch of this stuff out here from Michigan, haven't worn most of it, and probably haven't fit into much of it since long before I moved to Tahoe, but had hopes of getting back into it some day. Lets face it, I'm never going to be a size 4 again no matter how I cross my fingers:crossfingers:
Some had sentimental value, like a blouse that my great uncle brought home from Greece for me and the pair of jeans that represented my old life, ....and so on.

This is a snapshot of a sweatshirt that has been worn out for a long time, but I held onto it for no other reason that it was my favorite sweatshirt 20 years ago and I still like it but never wear it because the sleeves are tattered and there are holes in it. That goes in the actual garbage bag.
Nerdy, huh?
IMG_4341.jpeg

The question is, why can't I just move along and let this stuff go easily? :doh:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
We are in the process of moving from our home of 40 years to a much smaller digs without a basement or a garage. Every day, at least 10 times, I pick up something and ask your question "Why did I hang onto this?" The answer is beyond my pay grade! In 3 weeks, we close on sale of the existing, life will be much simpler, without a lot baggage.
Good thing I am not in the Ski industry and world famous for trying new gear. The Pugs have an impossible task of staying lean, and, I'm not talking about eating!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Pugs have an impossible task of staying lean, and, I'm not talking about eating!
The thing about gear, is the manufacturers want us to be on the newest so we do purge that kind of thing pretty well. As for the eating...I started the seasons with 10 lbs to lose and I only have 15 to go.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I don't hang onto things...... I get rid of clothes if I don't wear them often, this includes ski clothes. I have my yearbooks from Junior high/high school and a box that I put in special cards and mementos. Other than that I'm a big purger. My SO isn't...... he's not a hoarder but he has closets full of cloths hes doesn't wear that often. I am the opposite. We keep seasonal stuff in our storage unit. Michael has stuff in there that can go away....

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At least you stored it on-site, and didn't get caught up in the self-storage racket. (which is enjoying quite a boom in Toronto) Too many people want to hang on to their stuff, at several hundreds of dollars rent, for what? Eventually they realize that they have paid way more in rent than the stuff was worth in the first place, and they walk away, leaving it for the auctioneer.
Although I am a bit of a hoarder myself, I do manage to keep it on-site, and use Kijiji a lot to dispose of the excess.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
FEAR

of Want.

We were fooled into it when we were kids.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I inherited a hoarding gene from my dad and really fight it. I'm doing better but still need to make improvements. Part of my tasks this weekend is to get things sorted to make room for the Peloton coming on Tuesday so there will be more purging. I think some of my tendency also comes from when I didn't make enough money to be able to easily replace things so I kept them for maybe I'll want it later. Now, unless there is a real possibility of needing in the near future or a sentimental value I remind myself that if I need it in the future I can buy it again. Until then, let someone else enjoy it when I donate it.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A big AMEN to that sister.

Been clearing out huge quantities of stuff this past year. We ended up with 3 BIG storage units of stuff scattered across 2 states and finally got everything into 1 spot. Last week turned 5 wardrobe boxes into one, the rest went away or some to a son who is built like a younger me. Finding 40 year old clothes, and the kids stuff from nearly 30 years ago. Due to some odd circumstances we ended up with 4 houses full of stuff. Example just gave a way 3 circular saws and sanders, we all need 4 or 5 of those.
I am very proud to report we can now get 2 cars into the garage. :golfclap:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Too much disposable income. I wouldn't be buying replacements and multiple color/style options that aren't needed if I didn't have the spare cash to do so. I am sometimes good about just sucking it up and taking a bunch of stuff I haven't worn or used in over 2 years to whatever thrift store I am hitting over the weekend. I do have some 87mm and 99 mm waist skis in the closet that haven;t seen a run in at least 4 years. Haven't been on anything over 85mm in eons.. Surely I can just get rid of the deep snow skis right??

Last edited:

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I Marie Kondo'd my condo. There were some things I did not want to give up but they had no use so I took some nice photos of them and will have them framed.

My thought is that we want to hold onto certain memories and we believe keeping the "things" will help us do that.

I felt physically and emotionally sick while cleaning out my mom and dad's house where they had lived for 30 years, They were not hoarders but kept so much stuff that no one really wants. I felt horrible taking it all to Goodwill. I still have over 100 Precious Moment statues and don't know what to do with them.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
felt physically and emotionally sick while cleaning out my mom and dad's house where they had lived for 30 years, They were not hoarders but kept so much stuff that no one really wants. I felt horrible taking it all to Goodwill. I still have over 100 Precious Moment statues and don't know what to do with them
Don't feel guilty about getting rid of their stuff. I had a problem with my grandparents stuff. Just out of some sense of responsibility? honour? remembrance? I hung on to a lot of things, through several moves, until finally I said enough. It was their stuff, not mine, their tastes , not mine. It was quite cathartic to get rid of it

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My grandparents came from the depression so they never got rid of anything. My parents are only slightly better, but when they moved to my grandparents place 6 years ago, which is on 10 acres with a large pole barn, they had to build another pole barn to store my parents excess. The good thing is that they aren't paying for storage. The bad thing is, the probably don't need 1/8th of that stuff.
But, I swear, if you asked my dad to get you a fiddle widget, he'd know exactly where to find it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At least you stored it on-site, and didn't get caught up in the self-storage racket. (which is enjoying quite a boom in Toronto) Too many people want to hang on to their stuff, at several hundreds of dollars rent, for what? Eventually they realize that they have paid way more in rent than the stuff was worth in the first place, and they walk away, leaving it for the auctioneer.
Although I am a bit of a hoarder myself, I do manage to keep it on-site, and use Kijiji a lot to dispose of the excess.
I don't get the people that have two $50,000 cars in the driveway and $842.38 in crap that they will never use in the garage. :nono:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I grew up with "goodwill" bags as a continual thing. My mom is a lean, mean, gleaning machine and most of it has rubbed off on me. But, I don't touch the garage/tools. That's DH special zone.... I just suggest different organizational ideas.

Keep up the hard work Tricia! Every little bit helps the whole.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Most of the 'stuff' I hold onto (or collect) is for the memories and preservation of history.

I do have about 150 t-shirts, some as old as 50 years. My ski team stuff is pretty obvious as are some of the skis I used back in the day. Most everything else is coming under the ax as I plan my next stage of life. Think, travel and tiny home.

That said, anyone desiring to collect any of my skis should let me know what they are looking for. I'm getting rid of stuff for the price of shipping.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Having just moved out of my home of 40 years to our new home I had to do a lot of gut wrenching discarding of STUFF. Clothes and household items went to our church, some furniture went to the dumps because when we tried to donate it the different charities didn't want anything with cloth covers. They were afraid of infestation so only wooden furniture was accepted. Also got rid of lots of leftover parts from projects built over the years. The problem is about a week or two after I threw it away I needed it at the new house to fix something or to hang a picture and so on. Still have too much STUFF it will all go to the dumps after I am gone, my wife keeps telling me all my ski stuff and all my fishing stuff will be the first to go. Oh Well

Sponsor

Staff online