• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

Yes. He wrote what became a very influential piece of philosophy as a young man, the Tractatus. When he was older he wrote another piece of philosophy, Philosophical Investigations, which was published after his death. In this work he turned upside down what he had proposed in the first book.

It's one of the biggest flip-flops in the annals of philosophy. Both works are about how we know and understand stuff, and the role of language in that process. They present very different understandings of how we construct meaning. These two theories of knowledge are referred to as the "Early" and the "Late" Wittgenstein.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yes. He wrote what became a very influential piece of philosophy as a young man, the Tractatus. When he was older he wrote another piece of philosophy, Philosophical Investigations, which was published after his death. In this work he turned upside down what he had proposed in the first book.

It's one of the biggest flip-flops in the annals of philosophy. Both works are about how we know and understand stuff, and the role of language in that process. They present very different understandings of how we construct meaning. These two theories of knowledge are referred to as the "Early" and the "Late" Wittgenstein.

I'll have to do some research.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Undergraduate philosophy fades with time, but I remember loving the early Witt and hating the later Witt. If I were to read them both now (I won't), I might have a different perspective.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My terminology when filming "go left! go right! SHIT no the other right! F*** NOT THAT FAR! next turn lay it over more! wrong tree! shit theres someone in your shot!"
Seems to work most of the time...

I just spit on my computer. I can actually hear you say this in my head. Now how do I get the voices out of my head? :doh:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
regardless of the words used, or the attempted communication. The recipient of the expression forms their own meaning and their own reality.
Words are reality.

Until raw experience displaces imagination.

Don't get hung up on the words. And for god's sake, don't use words form some other language and some other culture from those you hope to convey meaning to.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
Extension & flexion, absorption, retraction, crossover, edge change, rotary, pivot...

When I'm talking to friends about ski technique, I hear a lot of these terms, some of which seem to be the same but different.
Lets talk about why terminology matters and when to use one term instead of another.
I can tell you that if you are not a native english speaker it is even worse. Just taker crossover and crossunder as an example. We don't have any terms for this in our local ski literature.
In general I think if there are similar terms that describe more or less the same thing it is better to use the ones that describe a movement, like flexion and extension.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What I object to is people who vent their loquacity by means of extraneous, bombastic circumlocution.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
What I object to is people who vent their loquacity by means of extraneous, bombastic circumlocution.

Indeed, interlocutors of a sesquipedalian bent cause much consternation.

P.S. I love when a super-interesting 2-year-old thread that I missed the first time around gets bumped. Great reading!

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I can tell you that if you are not a native english speaker it is even worse. Just taker crossover and crossunder as an example. We don't have any terms for this in our local ski literature.
In general I think if there are similar terms that describe more or less the same thing it is better to use the ones that describe a movement, like flexion and extension.

Plain English is always preferred. But, after inhabiting Ski School section, I've come to understand that more technical language is needed. For instance, flexion and extension, the context of when and intent is also important. Of course, that can be included in plain English, but a technical term is quicker. At least, from what I've observed, technical skiing terms are truly meaningful, not like those medical or legal terms that doctors or lawyers use that are just latin for something like "pain in the ass"

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
Terminology matters but only to a certain degree. When someone insists on semantic specifications with common terms such as use "weight" instead of "pressure" or use “resist” vs “push”, “inertia” vs “momentum”, etc. they are attempting to manipulate a student's language use and semantic interpretation which is delving into prospects for which there is no time slated in any lesson format that I am aware of. For the highly typical "one and done" teacher student relationship, this only leads to more confusion when they inevitably move on to another instructor. We are not English instructors.Not until ongoing coaching with the same client develops into an intimately aligned rapport and understanding of certain terms such as what "get forward" can/may mean within a specifically understood context, is there any reason to be semantically specific. When I hear instructors say "I only say it this way or that way” relative to common terms, it seems to me to be more about differentiating themselves from other instructors rather than being able to say something in many ways so that a random student has a chance for understanding what we are saying within such a brief opportunity.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
What language has the greatest specificity for movement and intent? I think the language of Sparta would have had pretty high resolution as it pertains to spear and swordsmanship. Chinese, for kungfu?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
But, after inhabiting Ski School section, I've come to understand that more technical language is needed

Speaking of terminology, some here in this section probably think squatting, not inhabiting, would be the better term for my presence. :)