• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Although for the record, the small square pugski sticker fits perfectly on the heel piece.

With a little triming they absolutely do!

IMG_0305.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Everything Philpug said above. The one thing I'd add, I love the low stand height, at 17mm. This adds to the solid interface described above. It makes it so you can really feel the ski, and gives you a solid, stable platform to menuever the ski with.

This may not be the desired feel for everyone, on every ski. A binding with a taller stand height will allow you get a ski on edge easier, with less torque on your knees. However, I think many people negate this spec based on how well this binding performs.

I haven't verified this, but the more popular Aaatack 13 AT is taller in the heel and toe. It has an additional lift under the heel which is there to compensate for the variable AFD height necessary to accommodate WTR and AT boot soles.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: ease of clicking in. They are *so* easy to step into compared to the Marker Griffons I'd been buying, sort of by default, before. I can't tell you how many times I needed help getting back into a Marker in soft snow.

This season, while my knee recovers - by the end of the day, even stepping into the Attack13s is painful. But it would be literally impossible for me in a Marker.

The Marker 'Royal' family of bindings does have a very difficult heel to step into. It is aggravated by grippy soles. The Aaattack is definitely easier to put on.

I used to scratch my head over the S500/600/Z10/Z12 series until I heard that, for light users, they test fairly consistently with age. Pure hearsay with no further backing evidence - but if true then I really respect Solly's corporate choices.

As a frequent binding calibrator, I'll say that most bindings from this century calibrate fairly well regardless of age. Key factors to repeatable, consistent release are the cleanliness of the binding and the boot sole. That is why I use YakTrax SkiTrax on all my boots. Even my Lange FreeTours. Dirt on the sole is the enemy. Dirt can mess up your Teflon AFDs, too. If you put a dirty boot into a binding, the dirt can embed in the Teflon creating a less than optimal release condition.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Mickey

Mickey

Booting up
Skier
@Philpug , do the 13's and 16's share construction, or do the 16's share more with the 18? I know the 18 has the spindle forward pressure adjustment, while the others all use the tab.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
16 and 18's have a metal stirrup on the heal piece and I believe you're right about the screw vs. the tab.

Saller

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does anybody have problems with the brake arms not folding up ?
mine do not and are a lot wider than the skis, so you can get hung up. maybe brakes are too wide`?
could try to bend them or get narrower brakes. they sit on a 110mm ski

also, they are attack11s, is there a difference to the attack13s, other than the spring ?

edit: on their website they show that they fold up
https://www.tyrolia.com/de-DE/technology/aaattack/
https://www.tyrolia.com/fileadmin/c...0-50_Desktop_600x500px_Attack2_tech_brake.png
mine definitely do not (or is this only for the attack11s?)

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
also, they are attack11s, is there a difference to the attack13s, other than the spring ?

The Attack 11 has a 2 piece heel while the attack 13 has a 3 piece heel which offers smoother easier entry.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Am I wrong or do the look and shape of the Attack binding toe piece very closely memic the look of the current Marker bindings?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
mine do not and are a lot wider than the skis, so you can get hung up. maybe brakes are too wide`?

https://www.tyrolia.com/fileadmin/c...0-50_Desktop_600x500px_Attack2_tech_brake.png

What ski is it on and what is the brake width ?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hopefully you have the 110 brakes and not the 130s

Saller

Skier
Hopefully you have the 110 brakes and not the 130s
i´ll measure the brake arms tomorrow (hopefully :) ), and make a pic.
its on a enforcer 110. the binding was basically really cheap and i thought its the same as a attaack13. i only need 8-9 DIN.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Am I wrong or do the look and shape of the Attack binding toe piece very closely memic the look of the current Marker bindings?

Superficially, yes, but there's more elasticity in the attack toe... pivot point position allows for longer wings.

Saller

Skier
FF9039B5-0D0F-4EFA-B9D4-C7FE732C1FB5.jpeg 9DE275EB-F28A-4F73-8615-665CB48BE1FB.jpeg 55A0A6DF-FAA3-464C-8A9D-FA72FB2E6F1B.jpeg E61C2071-9D7D-4A3D-B9C7-9C594BC212C3.jpeg FF9039B5-0D0F-4EFA-B9D4-C7FE732C1FB5.jpeg 9DE275EB-F28A-4F73-8615-665CB48BE1FB.jpeg

Ok, some pics, seems like the brakes are quite wide.
However the arms dont fold up.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
i´ll measure the brake arms tomorrow (hopefully :) ), and make a pic.
its on a enforcer 110. the binding was basically really cheap and i thought its the same as a attaack13. i only need 8-9 DIN.

Yeah, the 11 is not the same....I install a lot of 11,12 and 13’s......I totally recommend the 13 for most adults....it is a great binding install and most Pugs prefer it.

I will say, the 11 we are putting on a lot of our youth/intermediate typical NEPA ski packages....great option for this type skier.

But again, IMHO the 13 is a nicer/burlier option for more advanced skiers.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The issue with those Attack 11 bindings is that they are not using the correct width brake. Looks like the 90mm brake for the Attack 11 that has been bent poorly to try and fit around the 110 ski. If the brake was the correct 115mm width in the Attack 11, it would easily clear and then tuck in.

Honestly, my advice would be to swap out the Attack 11 for the Attack 13 with the 110 brake(different brake sizes than the 11s come in) and you’d get a much better heel piece in the 13 with a lower heel stand height. Uses the same holes so just hand loosen, add glue and put on the 13s. Sell the 11s on Craigslist after bending them straight again. Would be about $40 I bet for proper 11 brakes vs a bit more to swap out for a new set of 13s.

Sponsor

Staff online