• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why can't I carve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Repeat after me: stein Ericsson is dead....and so is his style....:eek:

The issue is nothing to do with edge angles/ tuning. If you are also trying to use a 20 year old boot as marko pointed out then you also need to change that out pronto. Josh makes some great points, particularly about the weight distribution . And, while there are lots of recommendations to take lessons, ypu would need to select an instructor very carefully. No offense, some very good ones here who get it, but, you say, you want to be able to carve like your son who is in a race program, there are some important differences between what a race coach will get you doing and what some instructors will show you, as we have some different objectives. (And No doubt this will upset lots of people here :eek: )
The good news is that this is not a new issue, as a masters coach I see this on a regular basis . However, as has been pointed out earlier, you need to be prepared to make the effort to change your style and build it in to muscle memory. This will also involve changes in areas where you think it is currently working. Like a golfer rebuilding his swing you need to use the new one consistently, you cannot just switch back and forth.

Some mis information is being cast about here.
My Head WC boots of more than 20 years experience are as useful today as they were when first new. I ski every day, with no issue.

The latest is not indication of better.

Trying the suggestions of a pro instructor might help, but then they might not. With the background of the OP, it may be better to experiment on ones own.
In skiing, there is no substitute for mileage!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some mis information is being cast about here.
My Head WC boots of more than 20 years experience are as useful today as they were when first new. I ski every day, with no issue.

The latest is not indication of better.

Trying the suggestions of a pro instructor might help, but then they might not. With the background of the OP, it may be better to experiment on ones own.
In skiing, there is no substitute for mileage!
Sad to say, while the same there is a difference and it is enough that it can mess you up.

To be fair I went it alone BUT I had a few very good skiers I could mimic to get the differences and I was looking for them. Without them I would not have made the change easily.

Going from new to old I feel is easy for a good skier as the newer timing and technique works on the old, just requires more effort. The reverse though old to new does require adjustment to take full advantage of the performance of the new shapes and yes it is primarily timing (providing you have all the skills). So unless you skied old school (extremely well) first, you just don’t have the knowledge base to draw on to instruct the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.