• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why are too many parking lots unpaved and often a mess because of it?

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
When it comes to skills and ski frequency, we're indeed not exactly "average".

But with regard to walking in ski boots on hard surfaces, how "unrepresentative" do you think we are from the average skiers?

Not just skill or frequency (and not all of us here have either or both of those) but also more the in depth interest that differs from the average masses.
Id suspect quite a number of the occasional weekend families and first time families (of which both make up for a large percentage of weekend crowds and general populations at resorts) would rather walk on smooth surface than gravely uneven, bumpy muddy mess if presented the choice. But that's not a pole we would ever know the real answer to and honestly within the discussion itself this doesn't really matter imo as we can still talk about what we may or not prefer and/or why it is or isn't so that they exist. Right, wrong, or indifferent its just conversation imo. Its all good.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Here's my observation on ski area parking lot (which may not be an accurate reflection of the skiing public).

A lot of families would drive up to the skier drop off and dump the kids and all the gears at the drop off while the driver go park the car. So there's one person per family walking back in street shoes.

In the parking lot, I saw most of the skiers, adults or children, were walking in their ski boots.

(I used to walk in street shoes and carry all my crap to the lodge to boot up. But as ski boots gets more comfortable without scarifying performance, I now boot up in the car and walk in ski boots)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry guys, but is this a "joke" thread? I've been seeing it from afar, and the original question as a topic for discussion kind of makes me have a weird feeling in my stomach - dizzy maybe?......So, hopefully this is the British/dry humor section of the forum ....

... Continue with the conversation/debate...Just felt like I had to say something here...

I'm just going to repost this.

It's a valid question, but it's been answered about 400 times. There is no need to keep asking.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
There are two conversations herein, Goose's OP about his dislike of common raw dirt and gravel parking lots that he would like to have paved and my related issue of wear on ski boots walking to lifts atop abrasive surfaces. Goose has not found any sympathetic members about the lots and some have noted resorts on national forest lands of which there are many in the West, cannot easily do so due to environmental issues.

Wearing down our expensive ski boots plastic soles probably should have been on a separate thread. I do think providing a less abrasive surface for customer's to walk to lifts is is a valid feature ski resorts ought to consider when designing parking lots. It is discussion about such subjects on snow sports boards like this that can alert resorts to issues they might not have considered important enough in the past but upon reading our reasoned ideas may act.

Despite my input above not liking carrying Cat Tracks in my pockets because they are bulky, nor leaving them at the base of lifts because they would need to be secured lest they disappear, I thought of something that could solve those issues at least for this person. Thus spent $20 buying a pair yesterday morning before getting on the Heavenly gondola. What I did was after removing them from my boots up on the mountain, put them into one of those common thin white plastic retail bags (blends in with snow) and easily buried it under snow next to pine branches at a spot not in view of others I would be passing by at the end of the day. Went well. Beyond my own awkward solution, it is something resorts could improve on.

Also note, the issue is beyond resort parking lots. At some resort lift bases are town lodging and commercial areas especially restaurants, streets etc that have the same problem when people wearing ski boots are walking around.

Last edited:

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
nor leaving them at the base of lifts because they would need to be secured lest they disappear
After years of putting them in my pocket (inside a ziplock bag), I keep hearing people just LEAVING it on the ski racks with no ill effect.

So I've been leaving them at the bottom from time to time. They've not disappeared.

In my case, my boot had such a small sole my cat track only fits kid's boots. But I think the real reason they never disappear is everyone who wants them had their own. For the rest of the skiers, they don't even know what it's for. So they won't be taking them.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry guys, but is this a "joke" thread? I've been seeing it from afar, and the original question as a topic for discussion kind of makes me have a weird feeling in my stomach - dizzy maybe?......So, hopefully this is the British/dry humor section of the forum ....

... Continue with the conversation/debate...Just felt like I had to say something here...

I'm just going to repost this.

It's a valid question, but it's been answered about 400 times. There is no need to keep asking.
I don't even get the question.
But you know whats humorous to me? Is when one comments in a thread they have no interest in or think is ridiculous. I don't know why id ever participate in something I thought was ridiculous or that I had no interest in. Or just to let people know either one of those. The most Id ever offer in that case is just to say I don't have a preference. The topic and/or related stuff has spawned 5 pages of thread so there is enough interest in participation. No one doing so needs to know that another thinks the topics are a joke to discuss. Just sayin.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't even get the question.
But you know whats humorous to me? Is when one comments in a thread they have no interest in or think is ridiculous. I don't know why id ever participate in something I thought was ridiculous or that I had no interest in. Or just to let people know either one of those. The most Id ever offer in that case is just to say I don't have a preference. The topic and/or related stuff has spawned 5 pages of thread so there is enough interest in participation. No one doing so needs to know that another thinks the topics are a joke to discuss. Just sayin.

I comment because it's my job. Thanks.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Cheaper, requires less maintenance, safer in terms of less slippery, more environmentally friendly, less prone to people hanging around,...not really an issue for most people. Most skiers would rather the mountains invest that money in a new lift or in more snow guns.

On point.......also taxes....some municipalities calculate their tax assessments based on "improved areas" and a parking lot would certainly qualify as a "improved" and hence a taxable area. have not seen many towns, ski towns in particular that have a seasonal revenue stream, that don't want more money!!!!

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I comment because it's my job. Thanks.
Your job is to let others who may be discussing something know that what they are discussing is like a joke to you? even though the discussion was perfectly civil and people were/are still discussing it with some thought? With due respect (as for this specific thread) that sounds much more personal than it does job related. Not trying to be a disrespectful wise guy at all there. Seems to me preventing the mocking would be the job but while also enhancing it? is then the personal opinion. And so my response was on behalf of what seems a personal opinion by you and not of the job by you. And so I responded from one posting person to another posting person, while the other I would understood. Hope that makes sense.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Your job is to let others who may be discussing something know that what they are discussing is like a joke to you? even though the discussion was perfectly civil and people were/are still discussing it with some thought? With due respect (as for this specific thread) that sounds much more personal than it does job related. Not trying to be a disrespectful wise guy at all there. Seems to me preventing the mocking would be the job but while also enhancing it? is then the personal opinion. And so my response was on behalf of what seems a personal opinion by you and not of the job by you. And so I responded from one posting person to another posting person, while the other I would understood. Hope that makes sense.

That wasn't my comment, and it isn't personal ... but yes, when tedious things get tedious-er, and users remark on them, we pay attention. Few want this website to turn into a repository of 12-page pedantic threads. Twenty 4-page threads would be preferable to four 20-page threads.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
That wasn't my comment, and it isn't personal ... but yes, when tedious things get tedious-er, and users remark on them, we pay attention. Few want this website to turn into a repository of 12-page pedantic threads. Twenty 4-page threads would be preferable to four 20-page threads.
no worries, and I assure I wasn't trying to be difficult. All good I hope

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Took this just today after skiing in the Midwest...
46BEE4B5-6F05-43CA-B655-459CAD0DEF84.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't really have a preference between paved and unpaved, and usually boot up in the lodge. I do think walking in ski boots, when I've done it, is easier without paving. That said, where I usually ski, the main lot is paved and the auxiliary lot is gravel/dirt.

If I go on a busy warm day where I might wind up in mud I make sure to have a towel or rag to wipe down my boots and plastic bag to put them in. (Or if i boot up in the lodge, i can wipe down my street shoes.) That's a bit of a pain, and does make me wish I was in the paved lot.

Sponsor