• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why are there "women specific" skis?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just as an anecdotal data point, my daughter tried the Head women's offerings years ago. She tried the Head Lightning. She found them very scary at speed, and was unable to keep up. She even took them off to descend steeper runs. Got her a pair of (unisex) Volkl Porsches (basically a SL carver) and she was much happier.

Shrink it and pink it and make it lighter and to hell with high-speed stability is not the correct way to build a women's specific ski.

Just say'n.
Well...to be fair though, I suppose it possible that specific pair of woman's skis simply just didn't suit her. Not all pairs of skis (even in the desired type of ski) we seek are a good fit for anyone. Just perhaps there are other pairs (brands and models) of womens skis that would make her very happy. Possible no?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just as an anecdotal data point, my daughter tried the Head women's offerings years ago. She tried the Head Lightning. She found them very scary at speed, and was unable to keep up. She even took them off to descend steeper runs. Got her a pair of (unisex) Volkl Porsches (basically a SL carver) and she was much happier.

Shrink it and pink it and make it lighter and to hell with high-speed stability is not the correct way to build a women's specific ski.

Just say'n.
I tried women's skis back then and didn't like them either, but Women's skis have come a long way. I have an inkling that her experience on more contemporary choices would be very different.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Im curious as to a couple things.

Firstly as i recently researched ski this season for my wife I of course went to different makers websites. And while my wife is not at all the "skier" I did take notice of the different skis offered for woman at all abilities.

With that said....... I noticed that Elan seems to make a number of models of womans skis in the all mountain (front side bias) category. And some of those higher end models "seem" quite capable to suit highly advanced woman skiers as for materials and tech. Ive also noticed in that same category of elan skis where woman models top out in mid 160's the mens only top out in the mid 170's. So I wonder how that elan line up serves well (or not) for even more advanced woman skiers?

And also note that imo unless one is a tall woman why wouldn't mid 160's be enough length for most when their mens line up only runs a few inches longer?

And honestly in that same category (all mountain - front side piste bias skis) with a number of makers its not like Ive seen many mens skis exactly getting much up into the high 180's. So im not quite getting where womans skis are being considered too short on average. By that logic we can also say what is a man to do when he stands 6'2 or 3 or taller? There wouldn't seem to be many skis for that either.
Im 6'1" and my blizzard xpower 810ti skis maxed out at 181 and for my height I think that's about the shortest (give or take a little) I would go. What would a man 1, 2 or 3 inches taller than I do if he wanted that ski? I suppose we can say there aren't many choices for the taller than average man either. No?

And getting back to the elan question as for their womans lineup there also fwiw seems to be a number of makers that make what appears to be pretty darn good womans skis tech wise in their upper scale models. Id speculate they are not all the floppy light and short noodles some are suggesting. Doesn't really seem that way. Just honest and curious questions here coming from one who is no expert on skis except for what I read and research and have a curiosity to hear about. . Is it really that hard for even the above average and even advanced performance recreational woman skier to find good pairs of womans skis? Are they mostly only decent skis (shorter floppy noodles) for only the average less knowledgeable few day a year woman skier? Now that i think more about this Im finding that just a little hard to process especially nowadays with all the R&D tech and info the makers of skis have. It just doesn't make much sense they would ignore the more avid, more educated, and more advanced woman skiers in their line ups completely.

Is there also just perhaps some placebo affect that some woman might obtain by shying away from a womans specific ski? Or simply feel an ego boost by not going with a womans ski? men do this kind of ego stuff all the time so why not woman too? Not accusing anyone of anything but just honest questions and conversation.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know one of the K2 team women - she rocks! Not many skiers, male or female, work a ski like she does. My wife needs a different ski from her (and so do I!). But she does have the skills and analytical ability to assess skis.

I'm a light freak. When they made a good male ski lighter and pinked it, I'm all over the women's version!

As a cheap shi - thrifty person, the long skis for big women are often heavily discounted and sized perfectly for me. I'm happy enough to score deals on sweet performing skis that happen to be pink. (K2 Inspire, K2 T-nine, Head Joy)

Along those lines, I bought some pink razors that were $1 more than the identical men's razors. I was complaining to my wife about how men always pay more and she showed me several studies where identical women's items were typically way more expensive (especially razors - I must have found a great sale). While I've always gotten deals on women's gear for me, I guess that's not normal.

My wife likes junior skis. Seriously lightened over even the women's versions, the right size and fun graphics (a parachute and a snowmobile?). Often, less expensive too.

I like my Head Joys. I'm secure enough to take advantage of them. I do normally mount in front of stock. With the Joys, I'm a little back.

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January