• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why are there no small men testing skis?

ski-ra

Love them Steamboat trees!
Skier
Possible post hi-jack...

Phil I'm gonna challenge you about how well all of these Pugski thumbnail reviews provide guidance to the full range of skiers. I continue to feel that my stats have fallen between the cracks. Ok so maybe a 125lb, male 5'5" skier represents less than 1% of the market so why test skis with this niche in mind? Well because I'm selfish and think that I deserve to get a better idea from y'all about what might work for me or someone like me.;)

Your thumbnails do sometimes acknowledge that a ski might be good for a lighter skier, but these are skis which did not perform well for me at all (e.g., the Rossi Sky HD which, unless it's substantially improved from the totally unstable Sin 7, is just for low-speed and/or intermediate skiers; and the 90Eight would not flex into an arc for me - it needs either to be skied stupid short in the women's version or stupid fast only, or by "lightweight" you mean 140lbs+). I'm not convinced that a heavier male tester on a 180cm+/- ski can determine whether that ski (in a shorter length) might be appropriate for a lighter expert vs. a heavier intermediate skier - there is a difference: I regularly overpower or find unstable any ski that's meant more for an intermediate (i.e., one that's meant for a skidded turn and/or low speeds only).

I've also looked at the female tester thumbnails. However, I run into trouble there too since SkiNurse seems to prefer sub-160cm skis (which feel like WC SL ice skates to me, provide drastically reduced float, etc., but might allow me to ski the 90Eight like a hero not that's not any victory...and don't take any of this personally SkiNurse). SBrown probably comes the closest to providing some useful input for me but she still has 15lbs. & 4" on me (again - nothing negatively personal intended here Susan), so, and perhaps because her technique is also very powerful, she finds joy in many skis that I don't (though she does attempt to extrapolate her results to lighter/shorter folks but with mixed results for me).

Of course, regardless of the variety of skier types, sizes, genders, abilities...involved, no ski test will ever be perfect, but I'd still say that there's a glaring lack of a "lightweight male" (skiing shorter length skis) in your tester team:(

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Possible post hi-jack...

Of course, regardless of the variety of skier types, sizes, genders, abilities...involved, no ski test will ever be perfect, but I'd still say that there's a glaring lack of a "lightweight male" (skiing shorter length skis) in your tester team:(

Well, there's always SBrown ;):0

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Possible post hi-jack...

Phil I'm gonna challenge you about how well all of these Pugski thumbnail reviews provide guidance to the full range of skiers. I continue to feel that my stats have fallen between the cracks. Ok so maybe a 125lb, male 5'5" skier represents less than 1% of the market so why test skis with this niche in mind? Well because I'm selfish and think that I deserve to get a better idea from y'all about what might work for me or someone like me.;)

Your thumbnails do sometimes acknowledge that a ski might be good for a lighter skier, but these are skis which did not perform well for me at all (e.g., the Rossi Sky HD which, unless it's substantially improved from the totally unstable Sin 7, is just for low-speed and/or intermediate skiers; and the 90Eight would not flex into an arc for me - it needs either to be skied stupid short in the women's version or stupid fast only, or by "lightweight" you mean 140lbs+). I'm not convinced that a heavier male tester on a 180cm+/- ski can determine whether that ski (in a shorter length) might be appropriate for a lighter expert vs. a heavier intermediate skier - there is a difference: I regularly overpower or find unstable any ski that's meant more for an intermediate (i.e., one that's meant for a skidded turn and/or low speeds only).

I've also looked at the female tester thumbnails. However, I run into trouble there too since SkiNurse seems to prefer sub-160cm skis (which feel like WC SL ice skates to me, provide drastically reduced float, etc., but might allow me to ski the 90Eight like a hero not that's not any victory...and don't take any of this personally SkiNurse). SBrown probably comes the closest to providing some useful input for me but she still has 15lbs. & 4" on me (again - nothing negatively personal intended here Susan), so, and perhaps because her technique is also very powerful, she finds joy in many skis that I don't (though she does attempt to extrapolate her results to lighter/shorter folks but with mixed results for me).

Let's start a 5'5", 125 lb. ski tester club. :nono:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know why my post has the mad guy in it, it was supposed to be the funny laughing guy! :roflmao:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Possible post hi-jack...

Phil I'm gonna challenge you about how well all of these Pugski thumbnail reviews provide guidance to the full range of skiers. I continue to feel that my stats have fallen between the cracks. Ok so maybe a 125lb, male 5'5" skier represents less than 1% of the market so why test skis with this niche in mind?
Well, there's always SBrown ;):0
...works for me;)
Let's start a 5'5", 125 lb. ski tester club. :nono:
How about we expand that to 5'5" - 5'-8" 125lbs - 140lbs "men's skis" class.
I'll nominate Tony S as a official ski tester. :daffy:

We need Phil Pug to send our testers credentials to access the trade demo days, they do that right :huh:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
...works for me;)

How about we expand that to 5'5" - 5'-8" 125lbs - 140lbs "men's skis" class.
I'll nominate Tony S as a official ski tester. :daffy:

We need Phil Pug to send our testers credentials to access the trade demo days, they do that right :huh:

No! We already have a lot of the women on here testing men's skis. I want more women's skis! Honestly, though, I am finding out the best tester for a ski I will like is me, anyway.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ira,
Greatr question. Actually, I thought of asking a few smaller guys who have written good reviews in the past if they wanted to test for us but there were prior commitements, @Tony S is one of them. Also, the test this year came upon us first quicker than we expected and we were also limited to the amount of testers we could invite and we already committed to our core testers fromt eh previous seasons. There are reviews here by testers that are in that 150lb range, @dawgcatching and @Brian Finch that did go to tests and did post reviews but I cna understand that these two guys are powerful and strong skiers that although you may not commect with them, do a good job reviewing.

We will explore more options next season and see what we can do to get more testers to the satellite events but there are limitations.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
@ski-ra
I find that I trust reviews of people who ski like I do as opposed to skiers who are my size. I am 5' 7" and over the past 3-4 seasons have ranged between 135-150 lbs depending on my workout mix between weight lifting and bike racing (right now I'm around 145). My preference in skis has not changed during that time. My favorite daily drivers are stiff flex Fischer race stock skis (165 SL and 190 GS) and my new favorite all mountain ski is a 184 Head Monster 98 mounted up with a Tyrolia WC race plate and full metal 16-DIN bindings.

My guess (and I could be wrong) is even though I'm only slightly larger than you are, you probably wouldn't really enjoy skiing on any of those... and it probably has nothing to do with our size difference and everything to do with the differences in our skiing. This is not at all a reflection on ability, rather that skiers who share similar skiing backgrounds (racing for example) tend to gravitate toward similar skis when making their selections because they use them in the same way.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
It's just physics. If you need E to turn skis, you'll get a lot more of that from V-squared than you will from M.

With that in mind, you might want to give some of the Head SuperShape skis a go, I find that the Rallys are as easy to turn and stable at slow speeds as they are at speeds that might get me yelled at by ski patrol. :eek:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Brian (Irip) and Scottskier are not exactly giants in stature, but they have provided some pretty good reviews and insights about plenty of gear there and assuming to be here as well. I used to weigh 125 back when I could actually ski.. then I got married LOL!

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
@ski-ra
I find that I trust reviews of people who ski like I do as opposed to skiers who are my size. I am 5' 7" and over the past 3-4 seasons have ranged between 135-150 lbs depending on my workout mix between weight lifting and bike racing (right now I'm around 145). My preference in skis has not changed during that time. My favorite daily drivers are stiff flex Fischer race stock skis (165 SL and 190 GS) and my new favorite all mountain ski is a 184 Head Monster 98 mounted up with a Tyrolia WC race plate and full metal 16-DIN bindings.

My guess (and I could be wrong) is even though I'm only slightly larger than you are, you probably wouldn't really enjoy skiing on any of those... and it probably has nothing to do with our size difference and everything to do with the differences in our skiing. This is not at all a reflection on ability, rather that skiers who share similar skiing backgrounds (racing for example) tend to gravitate toward similar skis when making their selections because they use them in the same way.

The bolded part made me smile. Unless they grew up in a race program, nobody skis like HelluvaSkier. OK, there may be a very select few, but, he has unique skills. He is 50 lbs lighter than me, but, will pull more G's on a turn than I ever will. Pedestrian skiers, like me, will never know the high end performance ability of any ski.

Sponsor

Staff online