• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Whose excited about Patrolling this upcoming season?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I hope you have plenty of PPE, at least KN95s. Not easy to socially distance while strapping someone to a backboard.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Excited about patrolling. Excited about skiing. But patrolling this year, it's gonna be weird. And tough.

I am not looking forward to having to tell people to put their masks on all day.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Doing refresher right now.

Hope I can be on Wed nights again, so I can focus on the skiing part.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking forward to it with mixed feelings. Love patrolling but it is going to be a challenge. Not sure how we are doing it yet. Do not want to be mask police. But I'am sure we will be.Thinking riding the chair in a buff and having N95 in pocket for first aids etc. Going to be a pita keeping first aid room and T-bog clean everytime. Not sure whats happening there yet. See the OR masks are rated well, have one them already. Should be strange staff wise. Aussies won't be coming up this year and they are a large part of the staff normally.

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
Very exited, looking forward to my first season - https://www.pugski.com/threads/joining-patrol-the-french-way.19811/.

A few differences here.

Patrol is First aid and Snow safety, never policing duties - we have police for that. For covid rules its a job for ALL workers in the Resort environment, patrolers are some of the least likely to have to do this -more lifty, servers and instructors as they interact with the public a lot more.

We don't have a first aid room at the bottom of the slopes the way USA, NZ and Canada might. There is (in France) a Cabinet Medical or doctors office, in many resorts its atached or very near to the ticket office. In those that don't it's patrol sled to amblulance for a 5 min transfer.
Yes there are patrol rooms on the hill that are more than happy to treat the walking wounded but they tend to be at the top of the mountain and rearly deal with more than a bleeding nose.

We just got 6" to a foot of fresh on the hill - might try and ski some of it soon.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
On our mountain here in BC the lift operator would usually ask the Patroller or mountain management to have a word with the guest if they don't respond to there request.
However we try to be as chill as possible. We are all there to have a good time.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I am the Ambulance, not the Hill Police. :ogbiggrin:
On our mountain here in BC the lift operator would usually ask the Patroller or mountain management to have a word with the guest if they don't respond to there request.
However we try to be as chill as possible. We are all there to have a good time.
Will you call the police on people asked to leave for refusing mask compliance the same as you would for intoxicated people who've been asked to leave but refuse?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Where I usually patrol, we report those who need to leave to the hill staff, and hill staff is in charge of kicking them off the property. It wasn't always so. I like it that way; I never was one who enjoyed laying down the discipline.

If I see someone doing something that endangers others, like flying out of the trees onto a marked trail without regard for others skiing or riding down the hill, or going over blind jumps without a spotter, or loitering in a landing zone, etc. I will have a talk with them, but I don't threaten them with anything. If I see them doing it again, I report them, mentioning that I've already had a talk with them. We also report folk doing stuff that only endangers the naughty skiers themselves (e.g. skiing off-trail out-of-bounds lines). I don't like doing it, having been there and done that myself too often many years ago (I'm reformed!) and believe in personal responsibility and that people should be free to decide on their own risks, but it's part of the job, and if I do a job, I do the whole job and do it right.

I also caution folks who are using "adult" language in the lift line with kids present, otherwise I will be interpreted as giving my tacit approval.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Where I usually patrol, we report those who need to leave to the hill staff, and hill staff is in charge of kicking them off the property. It wasn't always so. I like it that way; I never was one who enjoyed laying down the discipline.

If I see someone doing something that endangers others, like flying out of the trees onto a marked trail without regard for others skiing or riding down the hill, or going over blind jumps without a spotter, or loitering in a landing zone, etc. I will have a talk with them, but I don't threaten them with anything. If I see them doing it again, I report them, mentioning that I've already had a talk with them. We also report folk doing stuff that only endangers the naughty skiers themselves (e.g. skiing off-trail out-of-bounds lines). I don't like doing it, having been there and done that myself too often many years ago (I'm reformed!) and believe in personal responsibility and that people should be free to decide on their own risks, but it's part of the job, and if I do a job, I do the whole job and do it right.

I also caution folks who are using "adult" language in the lift line with kids present, otherwise I will be interpreted as giving my tacit approval.
So you will report not wearing the mask where required guests the same as you would report overly intoxicated guests. Makes sense..

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Will you call the police on people asked to leave for refusing mask compliance the same as you would for intoxicated people who've been asked to leave but refuse?
No I will not. That is managements responsibility. Pretty sure there won't be any calling the police for mask refusal here.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm dreading the opening weeks.. my local area is usually the first to open in Alaska and it has been crazy land the last couple of years. We've got limited parking, school buses for a lift, and opening weekend is not fun. That said, management has not officially announced if they are opening yet this year. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to the actual skiing part! If my area doesn't open for me to patrol, I'm getting a season pass for the other place in town and just acting as a trained layperson and I'll help out their patrol if needed (usually end up doing sweep with them when I ski over there on past ski days).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No I will not. That is managements responsibility. Pretty sure there won't be any calling the police for mask refusal here.
Seeing that Wisconsin made the national news this morning for the highest positive rate in the country, 20% :geek: , you'll be lucky to be skiing at all. Good luck if they're still not requiring or enforcing masks in common areas there. I woldn't want to be tasked with kicking people out who refuse to comply. I'd just wear a GOOD mask and let Darwin sort the rest of it out if I were you.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January