• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Copied and pasted from my “Journey” Thread:

Today was a a very enlightening experience. So @Mrs. 53 and I go into Park City to get ZipFit liners and heaters for our boots. She goes first and gets in the funky socks for the 3D machine. Very cool technology, of course she is in the wrong boots (I knew that the day she got “fitted” for them). So first it is a new shell that fits her foot. Turns out to be a cool all white Nordica Pro Machine 105 W that was a perfect fit. Then the footpads/orthotics which were custom made on a machine and finally the ZipFits. of course the alignment came next, Her left knee was 2* off and her boot is getting a wedge.

My boots it turns out were perfect for me (yeah mine were fitted by the Nordica Rep) and they needed a slight punch below both inside ankles. Same thing, did the orthotics and the ZipFits.... Then the alignment... OMG is all I can say. I must have been a cowboy in a previous life. Both of my knees were 3* off outside of neutral. It was an amazing feeling to feel properly lined up, and I can’t begin to imagine how it will make a difference on the slopes.

Note: @Lorenzzo is both a good and a bad influence
I'm a little off to the outside too. With a shim you'll be working the front of the tongue instead of the side. I'm hoping I'll notice a difference too.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Andy Mink

With the shim under the boot I was amazed at the feel of the boot. A lot of the challenges I had last year make a ton of sense now that I understand proper alignment and what it will allow me to do and how I will be able control my edges much better in a balanced manner. I am SO excited to try them out.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Copied and pasted from my “Journey” Thread:

Today was a a very enlightening experience. So @Mrs. 53 and I go into Park City to get ZipFit liners and heaters for our boots. She goes first and gets in the funky socks for the 3D machine. Very cool technology, of course she is in the wrong boots (I knew that the day she got “fitted” for them). So first it is a new shell that fits her foot. Turns out to be a cool all white Nordica Pro Machine 105 W that was a perfect fit. Then the footpads/orthotics which were custom made on a machine and finally the ZipFits. of course the alignment came next, Her left knee was 2* off and her boot is getting a wedge.

My boots it turns out were perfect for me (yeah mine were fitted by the Nordica Rep) and they needed a slight punch below both inside ankles. Same thing, did the orthotics and the ZipFits.... Then the alignment... OMG is all I can say. I must have been a cowboy in a previous life. Both of my knees were 3* off outside of neutral. It was an amazing feeling to feel properly lined up, and I can’t begin to imagine how it will make a difference on the slopes.

Note: @Lorenzzo is both a good and a bad influence

I need to learn more about this 3D scanning technology that matches your foot to a shell. I had this very idea over 5 years ago, but never acted on it. Of course it was too good of an idea to not have come from somewhere else. Off to Google this...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink

With the shim under the boot I was amazed at the feel of the boot. A lot of the challenges I had last year make a ton of sense now that I understand proper alignment and what it will allow me to do and how I will be able control my edges much better in a balanced manner. I am SO excited to try them out.
When @Philpug was helping me out with boots the other day, after he shimmed under the boots he had me raise my arms to horizontal and pushed down on them. I felt pretty strong. Pull the shims out, repeat, and down the arms came. Totally bizarre what a degree or two under your feet can do for core and balance.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The 3D scanning technology is super cool, but I can see some definite holes in this approach when it comes to ski boot fitting.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I need to learn more about this 3D scanning technology that matches your foot to a shell. I had this very idea over 5 years ago, but never acted on it. Of course it was too good of an idea to not have come from somewhere else. Off to Google this...

That machine was pretty scary, as in scary GOOD! After it did the scan, Brian brought up a list of boots on the right side of the screen and a graph showed how each boot matched up to your foot shape. Clicking on a boot from that list brings the boot up on the main screen and the contact points show up in different colors relative to the amount of contact.

I had previously had each of my inside ankles punched out due to pain, but the area he punched out today was below the inside ankle (I fail to remember the anatomical name of that area) and he explained that by opening this up a bit it would allow me to better move my ankles and tip the skis better. This was far beyond just finding boots that fit our feet.

Was it cheap? NO, in the big scheme of several seasons of skiing (boots) and a long time (Zipfits) this was not expensive. Geez, we moved from Florida to Utah, so this was a must do rather than a luxury :)

Having given this whole alignment thing several hours of thought, and both legs being 3* off neutral, it is amazing I was doing as well as I had. I expect things to get much easier.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The 3D scanning technology is super cool, but I can see some definite holes in this approach when it comes to ski boot fitting.

That is not the machine we were on today. The one we were on had a thing that slide around the platform taking the image for all angles, not from just the four corners as the one above.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was never able to do sideslips, now I know why, I was 3* tipped to the outside edge already and then when I “flattened” my ski to slideslip I now had my outside edge dug into the slope prohibiting me from slipping downhill. This also makes it very easy to understand why hockey stops were not easy either.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
3 degree is a whole lot. I am surprised your instructors never pick up on that.
15 years ago, a ski shop put the wrong cant on my skis. I had really bad foot pains on that pair of ski. It was off by half a degree.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It definitely will make it lots more fun with way less effort. :beercheer:

Enjoy the journey. Getting your gear dialed in is part of the fun.
Don't obsess too much about it though. Takes the fun out of things.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm. Mine are more of a shoe-type style, but they've lasted years. They need to, at their price ...

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/haflinger-gz-classic/27950

I've been wearing those for yeeaaaarrrrss (well, I've had a few different pairs) but discovered the shearling version a couple years back. Aaahhhhhhhhhhhh
59222c9d-ea60-4afd-8669-3681470a1709.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
3 degree is a whole lot. I am surprised your instructors never pick up on that.
15 years ago, a ski shop put the wrong cant on my skis. I had really bad foot pains on that pair of ski. It was off by half a degree.

This is the EXACT reason I suggest instructors should a attend Masterfit.

Who Will Benefit?
  • Ski instructors and coaches. You may benefit the most by attending these courses: you will be able to evaluate if an athlete is being limited by an alignment issue, to determine whether a student is being held back by boots that are too soft, too stiff, or simply don't fit right. Your students will be grateful, and who knows, a client might even cover the cost of the course with an appreciative tip. Check also with your PSIA-USSA region to see if these courses count toward your continuing education.

I agree, 3* is a ton. When I get someone that is that far off, I measure, remeasure and also take a look at possible leg length discrepancies along with bringing another set of eyes in to assess.

Reactions: Ron

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I've been wearing those for yeeaaaarrrrss (well, I've had a few different pairs) but discovered the shearling version a couple years back. Aaahhhhhhhhhhhh
59222c9d-ea60-4afd-8669-3681470a1709.jpeg

Ooooh.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@KingGrump
I am trying to get my head around how much of a difference this is going to be. I feel like this will be a major game changer for me

BTW, it was off half a degree on only one ski.
This alignment thing will rock your world. Often you will have to go back for a tweak or two.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And just like that, STP has the wool versions now. Both the scuff and the cork. Tempting...

Gaah.

Money tight. But birthday upcoming ... hm.

Sponsor

Staff online