• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Whoa - This 1972 magazine ad is so politically incorrect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKI Jan 1972 Okemo.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
IDK. Who skis at a place named "Squaw"??? Double un PC hahahahaha...

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My college's sports teams were the "Warriors" with a Native American as the logo/mascot (1980s).

A few years ago I guess school officials thought that was politically incorrect so the logo/mascot became a Viking. As a Scandinavian should I be offended?;)

Honestly, though, I think Native Americans deserve everything and more the government does for them.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My college's sports teams were the "Warriors" with a Native American as the logo/mascot (1980s).

A few years ago I guess school officials thought that was politically incorrect so the logo/mascot became a Viking. As a Scandinavian should I be offended?;)

Honestly, though, I think Native Americans deserve everything and more the government does for them.

Here's a cool story about how one high school dealt with that. More here: http://www.littletonpublicschools.net/schools/arapahoe-high-school/arapaho-relationship

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

I think the government has done more than enough. Genocide of an entire people....

trust.jpg

And we were just getting warmed up... :eek: :nono:
It's embarrassing to be an American...well, not a Native American... just one living under this government for say the last 240ish years.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup, most people will agree Native Americans were screwed over big time.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ultimately, it is up to the Native Americans themselves and not us to label what is offensive to them. My high school was The Braves with a very noble looking image. To me that was paying homage to those that we stole the land from there in Minnesota.
aaf8696a3c63d41c12b075a87214a525

They asked that it be changed so we are now "The Blaze".

I do agree that words that are racial slurs to them and ridiculous cartoon character logos should definitely be changed and never considered again.
I'm talking to you Cleveland, Washington, and Atlanta.

Tributes, obvious tributes are OK with me as long as the Native American organizations are also OK with it.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Washington Redskins football team absolutely refuse to change their name. They were picketed by
a few Native Americans last year in San Francisco.

James

Out There
Instructor
Back in the early 90's when there was a brou haha over the Atlanta Braves and their name I was around some Apaches in New Mexico. They didn't have an issue with it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Back in the early 90's when there was a brou haha over the Atlanta Braves and their name I was around some Apaches in New Mexico. They didn't have an issue with it.
Me either.. But, the image on this logo has been deemed offensive by several..

images

James

Out There
Instructor
^^ Yeah that image is another thing.
Didn’t remember this thread. Really bad ad. Were they trying to capitalize on that anti-littering ad on tv?

Okemo got rid of many of the Indian related trail names many years ago. Geronimo was one. But then names like Quiver went too.
They still have Chief, Wardance, Arrow, Tomahawk.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorta-local high school tried to change their name/mascot from Redmen to something else. 80% of school, plus BOE, plus citizens voted to drop it. Then.... hide-bound conservatives got control of the Board of Selectmen and reversed that decision. Quote from news story below: “This is the first time I’ve ever encountered a situation where a school board, school and alumni have a conversation, reach a point, adopt a new mascot and then go backward,” Ms. Houska said. “Basically they’ve said, ‘Yes, we know it’s racist and offensive, but we’re actually going to go back to that because we like it more.’ ”

James

Out There
Instructor
Sorta-local high school tried to change their name/mascot from Redmen to something else. 80% of school, plus BOE, plus citizens voted to drop it. Then.... hide-bound conservatives got control of the Board of Selectmen and reversed that decision. Quote from news story below: “This is the first time I’ve ever encountered a situation where a school board, school and alumni have a conversation, reach a point, adopt a new mascot and then go backward,” Ms. Houska said. “Basically they’ve said, ‘Yes, we know it’s racist and offensive, but we’re actually going to go back to that because we like it more.’ ”
Heard that story on npr. Just bizarre.

—————————
"I'm even, like, embarrassed that I have Redmen on my gym floor right now," said sophomore Jessica Long, referencing a big school decal stuck to the hardwood of Killingly High School. "It's embarrassing to be connected to a school that, even though they did the right thing before, they went back to the wrong thing."
—————————-

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I knew I told that story here before! but I couldn't remember where

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Should I be embarrassed for what others did 150 yrs ago or for that matter for what anybody does that I was not involved in or had no control over.
Certainly not. We should endeavor to listen to individuals, especially those who historically have been maligned and much worse, and in so doing, consider perspectives different from our own and, if persuaded, change our social policies. But there undoubtedly is something Orwellian and frightening also going on that should be identified, castigated, and rejected, as it threatens to define and then derail an otherwise laudable movement. Unfortunately, there seem to be too many powerful people and institutions too invested in one side or the other for reason and good faith to prevail. I hope and pray I am wrong.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Trish's Irish grandfather was in the US Calvery. He suddenly left the Calvery June 26, 1876 the day after Custer was killed fighting Native Americans
at the Battle of Little Bighorn. Reason unknown.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Should I be embarrassed for what others did 150 yrs ago or for that matter for what anybody does that I was not involved in or had no control over.

You shouldn’t be embarrassed. But, you should be able to recognise what was and still is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online