• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can tell you Yakima does not. I bought their "Carbonite " box for the Atlas, fortunately I got it at REI. The first one showed up cracked right out of the box. I got that replaced, and was pleased how light it was, but it did seem pretty flimsy. This week we had a windy day. Driving in slowly town, it got hit with a side blast and even though it was latched and locked it popped open and the lid was torn in half. Returned for refund.

They are proud of making it from 80% recycled plastic. It is thin brittle garbage. REI said they are all made that way.

The Thule with the smooth finish feels like a less brittle plastic. Our old Packasport would not hold much, but was indestructible fiberglass. Anyone have a recommendation? I'm looking for a half rack box, to leave room for a paddleboard next to it.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I can tell you Yakima does not. I bought their "Carbonite " box for the Atlas, fortunately I got it at REI. The first one showed up cracked right out of the box. I got that replaced, and was pleased how light it was, but it did seem pretty flimsy. This week we had a windy day. Driving in slowly town, it got hit with a side blast and even though it was latched and locked it popped open and the lid was torn in half. Returned for refund.

They are proud of making it from 80% recycled plastic. It is thin brittle garbage. REI said they are all made that way.

The Thule with the smooth finish feels like a less brittle plastic. Our old Packasport would not hold much, but was indestructible fiberglass. Anyone have a recommendation? I'm looking for a half rack box, to leave room for a paddleboard next to it.

I have an INNO box on my subbie. Love it. http://usa.innoracks.com/product-category/cargo-box/wedge-series/

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hmm with 50" bars I have room for two bike trays and a Thule Pulse Alpine. Pluses: it will fit 210 classic skis ; it has a very resilient plastic that has not cracked or torn in our extreme ozone conditions. Minuses: definite salt ingress which is why the original owner only used it for a month ; the resilient plastic flexes so that closing the lid is an exercise in lining up the lock holes with the locking bar otherwise the key won't turn ; absolutely horrible aerodynamics that cause noticeable lift at the front wheels.

Point here is that the materials and the size were nice but it all came with a passel of problems that made it a project box rather than a mount and forget. Overall, B-, that is including the extra credit for not cracking in the collision that totaled both the car under it and the aero fittings I had rigged.

Sponsor

Staff online