• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Who, if anyone, accurately predicted the 2019-2020 ski season weather?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
BA has an interesting article about the accuracy of the weather predictions last season.

This fun fact from the article made me chuckle a bit:
When I first started forecasting I remember being taught, "the forecast models lose 10% of their accuracy for each day they forecast out into the future". That would mean 0% accuracy beyond 10 days!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-

This fun fact from the article made me chuckle a bit:
When I first started forecasting I remember being taught, "the forecast models lose 10% of their accuracy for each day they forecast out into the future". That would mean 0% accuracy beyond 10 days!
Forget 24hour 10%, every time I checked OpenSnow's snow cast for resorts in the NE, they were dead wrong up to the day of the forecast, 100% wrong.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
After March, who cared?

Looking back from May was pretty accurate.

That's exactly the problem - the retrospective overall average can be accurate with a few major storms, even when in any given 10-day, 15-day, 30-day cycle the "forecast" is completely useless.

Put another way, these things really shouldn't be evaluated on season-long averages (which the article is attempting to do). They should be evaluated on how much deviation any given 2-3 week cycle incurs from the predicted values. Much more useful, East or West.

Pretty much the only people interested in season long average accuracy are going to be firefighters and water control boards.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was pretty accurate, minus the dry spell in early 2020. We got hammered in March with enough snow to carry through April into at least early May with proper snow management. Yep, I missed my calling. Or not.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
f486ffba4cdc07cc040428fc310e18a1.jpg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
9/10/19 2019 - 2020 Winter Forecastasy

9/11/20 2020 - 2021 Snow Forecastasy

Forecastasy a horrorscope unfortunate cookie writer would be proud of;\

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That makes my hair hurt.
Think of it this way. If you start with 100 and reduce by 10% you now have 90. If you the reduce 90 by 10% you have 81.

Now reduce 81 by 10% and you've got 72.9. Do that 7 more times and you get 34.86784401.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Based on how mother nature has been messing with us (COVID, natural disasters and extreme weather) I’m going with an extremely hard winter or extremely soft winter, like in the areas that it is opposite to what’s required.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Based on how mother nature has been messing with us (COVID, natural disasters and extreme weather) I’m going with an extremely hard winter or extremely soft winter, like in the areas that it is opposite to what’s required.
D@ng Direct Weather hacks set the Jinx :duck:

James

Out There
Instructor
Well at least in the Northeast, it looked like Spring was going to be a bust last year. Sat March 14th was a really sunny, nice day. We started wodering how we’d make it another month. It looked like no way. That evening everything closed.

Ironically, it got cold again and we could have gone into May. I even hiked and patched skied on May 17th. A week earlier I could’ve done it continuously till pretty far down.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This guy nails it:

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Just putting in my own thoughts on the seasonal forecast :)

1. We see a better than average season for the PNW/BC in terms of snowfall, including into the Northern Rockies (MT, ID, WY)
  2. We see an average or slightly above average winter for Utah and Colorado.
  3. We see a below average season for the Sierra Nevada (CA).
  4. A strong season for the Midwest and Northern US.
  5. A mildly above average season for New England.
  6. An average snowfall season for the Mid Atlantic to NYC.
  7. A below average snowfall season for the Southern half of the US.

Sponsor