• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Who Are the Best Manufacturers?

Jelder

Putting on skis
Skier
OK, here's an off-season question because I miss skiing and thought this would be fun to get opinions about.

What companies have the best manufacturing practices? Not "what skis are best", but which companies seem to be the best in terms of quality control? Like, for example, excellent fit and finish on a consistent basis. Or good, flat bases from the factory across different lines.

I don't personally have an opinion on this because I've only owned a couple pairs of skis, but I'll be curious to hear from folks who know.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If the mainstream brands I would say Head has been one of the most consistent. Of the premiums, Augment has blown me away with their base and edge finish. Binding wise, any of the Tyrolia's with the dual stage heel, (12 DIN on up) tend to test perfect. Boot wise, Nordica is hitting on all cylinders at the moment.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To be fair I’m not in the industry, however, its a flavor of the Month type thing and what the objective is at that moment (at least of the majors) and what brand of their multi-brand portfolio they want to push. As to the minor players, I think where you can see the biggest difference, as it really a make it or break it type issue.

As to which brands are doing what, I’ll go with our resident insiders and their insightful views. :beercheer:

TS
Jelder

Jelder

Putting on skis
Skier
If the mainstream brands I would say Head has been one of the most consistent. Of the premiums, Augment has blown me away with their base and edge finish. Binding wise, any of the Tyrolia's with the dual stage heel, (12 DIN on up) tend to test perfect. Boot wise, Nordica is hitting on all cylinders at the moment.

Thanks- I suppose another way I could've asked the question is who's the Toyota of ski gear manufacturing? And conversely, who's the Fiat? ;)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

Pretty close to this. Add Stockli and a very few others.

It all boils down to QA practices at the factory, from incoming analysis of raw materials o in-line QA to end of line and how management has strucyured that arrangement i.e. QA is a totally different unit with different direct reports than line workers. However any line workers should have the ability to shut the line down due to QA issues.

Keep in mind that the supply chain is hugely consolidated. In boots for example the factories of consequence can be counted on one hand. A few families sew all of the liners. One factory produces most of the buckles. Then everything is shipped to another country for assembly. Delbello and Scarpa own their owned their own factories as of a few years ago. Counter seasonal they do other footwear and injection molding for European auto brands.

A brand will, in all cases, only be as good as their contract factory. That factory that is (for example) producing for Target will not be able to suddenly amp their QA processes and workers' skill level up to produce for Arc'teryx.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I did enjoy these.. build quality was very nice.

D691C8F2-19AC-40EB-969F-68E1967DD6AA.jpeg

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll cover for you, OP; Swap Toyota for Lexus, re-start discussion.
If that doesn't work, you'll just have to go European.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I'll cover for you, OP; Swap Toyota for Lexus, re-start discussion.
If that doesn't work, you'll just have to go European.
I've noticed that the best Toyotas wear a Lexus badge. I own too few skis (don't we all?) to answer that question with any degree of certainty, but anecdotally My Fischer SCs are Great, as were my antique Kästles (both in initial quality and finish and attention to detail and in durability). I hope the revived Kästle brand continues with the high quality approach.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I own too few skis (don't we all?) to answer that question with any degree of certainty,...

As does everyone. Unless you are directly involved with the manufacturing process as a designer, product developer, or auditing QA processes and social compliance, the opinions expressed here are just that.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Liberty has been producing some very nice skis with good bases and tunes out of the box. For a mid price ski, they do a great job.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for ON3P's quality control. Also the tune and waxing from the factory was superb.

Reactions: BC.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For Race skis, Augment is from my experience by far the best quality and finish. Ready to go, out of the box without requiring several hours of work

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I suppose another way I could've asked the question is who's the Toyota of ski gear manufacturing?
In that context, you need to measure the dimensions and mechanical properties of a lot of skis, of each model, from any one manufacturer. Toyota’s definition of quality is very high consistency in the manufacture of very large quantities. They have processes that are “in control”, https://www.isixsigma.com/dictionary/in-control/

And you “thought this would be fun“.
:)

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting to see on3p on here several times. I coached a kid who snapped several pairs within a week of mounting. He wasn't the type that could tell a 1/3 from a 3/1, but he was small (light). Also worth noting he spent a lot of time in the park, for whatever that's worth, and that he really liked how they felt otherwise.

In the shop we were impressed most with Fisher and Augment race product.

Last edited: