• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I went to Whitetail today 1/14/19. Very healthy crowd for a Monday because every school district in the region was off due to about 6-12" of new snow that fell on Sunday throughout the Wash-Balt area. Federal Govt in Wash DC was also closed due to the storm (only about 20% of the Fed Govt has been in shutdown mode over the budget for last three weeks, but today the other 80% got the day off too - due to snow).
I arrived about 1015 AM and the parking lots were already about 65% full. By the time I left at 345 PM the lots were about 85% full. There was a ton of people around the base lodge, but fortunately the lift lines weren't as bad as I feared. Heaviest lines were on the main lift at the resort, the Whitetail Express Quad, as expected. I used the singles line a lot there and never waited more than about 5 mins all day. I skied for about 5 hours with a 45 min lunch break and spent about half that time skiing Exhibition Run off the Experts Choice quad, which always had a small to medium size line, again which I never waited more than 3 or 4 mins because I was taking singles line.
They only got about 5 or 6 inches of natural up there, but they had made a lot of snow and the guns were running across much of the mtn until noon-1PM. Only Exhibition was open off Experts Choice chair, but Bold Decision looked fairly close to opening. All the blue square runs off the Whitetail Express were open. I took a couple runs on the Easy Rider Quad and only Sidewinder was open there, but they were making a ton of snow under the chair and that terrain should be ready in a couple days. I did not get over to the never-ever beg area to far lookers left of resort.
The trail conditions were quite good with fresh if slightly grabby manmade snow everywhere. Exhibition bumped up a bit as the day went on and was a good workout. Although trail traffic was fairly heavy, I was glad I went. Jan 14 is pretty late for me to record my first ski day of the winter:P
It was a pretty day, 32 degs and sunny with no wind.
I qualified for a 4 hr, midweek senior rate of $32, not bad.

View of the slopes approaching from access road, 1015AM. This photo's a little fuzzy, but there were a lot of snow guns going all over the mtn at this time.
DSCN1710.jpg

Base crowd at noon
DSCN1716.JPG

Whitetail Express
DSCN1714.JPG

Experts Choice chair at 1215pm
DSCN1725.jpg

Exhibition Run
DSCN1727.JPG

Jib Junction Terrain Park and base area with distant lots nearly full of cars. 330PM
DSCN1728.jpg

Park action
DSCN1731.jpg

Base area at 345pm
DSCN1730.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Coach, you talked me into W/T. I was a little skeptical when I first arrived and saw the mob, but the lines were manageable (I only went in the lodge once at 1030 and didn't see how busy it might have been later). I hadn't been to Whitetail in 4 or 5 years, so it was good to check it out again.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah... you braved the crowds after all! Looks like things are in pretty good shape. The forecast there for this weekend is 5"-14" of snow... I hope it's on the high end!

I guess you skied Sidewinder too? For some reason, I like that run. :D

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Strangely, one thing I miss at W/T is a run with a little high and low angle mix to it. Everything off the two big chairs is a straight tilt from top to bottom.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Strangely, one thing I miss at W/T is a run with a little high and low angle mix to it. Everything off the two big chairs is a straight tilt from top to bottom.

Exhibition is the most consistent of the "black" chair... Bold Decision and Far Side have a touch more variety, but the whole place is pretty much straight down, or a bit "benchy" (20 degrees, then flat, then 20 degrees, etc.) I've always thought Fanciful, Snow Dancer, and Far Side had the best variety, but it's not much.

One of the things I like about the black runs at Massanutten is they are pretty wide with more variety - some off camber, whoops, etc, depending on which line you take down.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of the things I like about the black runs at Massanutten is they are pretty wide with more variety - some off camber, whoops, etc, depending on which line you take down.

Diamond Jim and Paradise are 2 of the best (and maybe longest) runs in the Mid Atlantic imo.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Diamond Jim and Paradise are 2 of the best (and maybe longest) runs in the Mid Atlantic imo.

Those 2 are fun for sure - like dbostedo said depending on the line you take they can ski differently. Also nice that they tend not to be crowded even on weekends.

Jasmap

Booting up
Skier
I had a chance to ski Whitetail 5 years ago. Its obviously been awhile since then. Smallish mtn but the staff all over were friendly and I never spent much time in the lift line either. I was staying in Harpers Ferry and we had a couple of snow days because D.C. was in a snow closedown so I had a chance to go for a couple of days. Got some night skiing in also. All in all I enjoyed my visit.