• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Whitefish, stay in town or at the resort?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi,
A friend of mine is planning a family trip to Whitefish this March. He will have a rental car and is staying for about 4 days. They also want to visit Glacier and do some XC skiing. Would you suggest staying at the resort or in town?

They don’t care about shopping or nightlife.

Thanks for any suggestions/info you have.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'd pick town. The only benefit to staying at the resort is if you have kids with you or a big bunch and no one is on the same schedule. Most of the action is downtown unless you are really a fan of the Bierstube.

BUT, this guy HAS a family (how many? how old?). There is some cross country skiing at the resort, but they also have it downtown at the golf club. Glacier is a drive anyway you look at it, so really no impact on the decision. Most of the resort lodging is condos, most of the town lodging is hotels. VRBO is everywhere. Need more info to say more than that.

Are they planning to XC at Glacier? Just wondering, there's not a huge amount open and it's more XC or snow showing. Can be some classes at the Glacier Institute.

You might also want to look into the dogsledding. (Yelp reviews) I've never done it, but the guy used to have his dogs hanging out by the base lodge. I haven't seen that lately and I think after a snow mobile accident where a visitor (NY lawyer if I recall correctly) sued the resort even tho that operation is separate and was only BOOKED through the resort as a matter of convenience that the resort has downplayed those activities.

Last edited:

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd pick town. The only benefit to staying at the resort is if you have kids with you or a big bunch and no one is on the same schedule. Most of the action is downtown unless you are really a fan of the Bierstube.

BUT, this guy HAS a family (how many? how old?). There is some cross country skiing at the resort, but they also have it downtown at the golf club. Glacier is a drive anyway you look at it, so really no impact on the decision. Most of the resort lodging is condos, most of the town lodging is hotels. VRBO is everywhere. Need more info to say more than that.

Are they planning to XC at Glacier? Just wondering, there's not a huge amount open and it's more XC or snow showing. Can be some classes at the Glacier Institute.

You might also want to look into the dogsledding. (Yelp reviews) I've never done it, but the guy used to have his dogs hanging out by the base lodge. I haven't seen that lately and I think after a snow mobile accident where a visitor (NY lawyer if I recall correctly) sued the resort even tho that operation is separate and was only BOOKED through the resort as a matter of convenience that the resort has downplayed those activities.

What would you know? You make it sound as if you live there. :P

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well, we did come here once on a ski trip after we bought the land and before we lived here. Plus while we were building (admittedly not skiing) I came every few months to meet with the builder.

Beyond that, I've shepherded LOTS of visitors around and heard their opinions on where to stay.

But yeah, don't ask me for specific hotel advice. I've only stayed in one (seven visits).

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Gonna go against the grain here and say on the hill. With it being a family trip and no interest in nightlife they can avoid driving up and down the mountain every day and have the luxury and convenience of ski in ski out. That way you don't have to load your families stuff in and out of the car, you boot up in the condo and ski on your own schedule. One caveat though, restaurants are limited at the resort but if they are cook in the condo types it would be easier IMO to stay on the mountain.

I am a nightlife, go out to see live music, kind of guy and would stay in town myself next time we go. (we are probably going to hit Whitefish this season) However, when we skied there we stayed at the Kandahar with our club and it was wonderful.

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Family of four, 9 and 12 year old girls. Cooking in condo, maybe dinner/pizza out once or so. Not looking for fine dining or shopping.

For XC would you pick town or resort trails in March? Is town likel to be poorer conditions later in the season like that? (Assuming it’s lower altitude).

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Family of four, 9 and 12 year old girls. Cooking in condo, maybe dinner/pizza out once or so. Not looking for fine dining or shopping.

For XC would you pick town or resort trails in March? Is town likel to be poorer conditions later in the season like that? (Assuming it’s lower altitude).
Like Crank said, with this group stay at the resort.

I'm not a cross country skier, but I'd pick the resort trails 2nd week of March onwards. However, I have never done those trails to know their level of grooming, difficulty, etc. I would really recommend lots of Googling on that one.

Sponsor

Staff online