• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dorm

Booting up
Skier
What are the conditions like now ... I know it's early but the site is showing 31" base. I might go out given there's a good base and coverage from top to bottom on the cruisers.

Ciao ... Dorm

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well, there's not top to bottom on the cruisers. We're downloading. No real snow in the forecast. Today will be day 1 for me, I'll report more later. That's the summit base. Did you scroll down and look at the base "base"?

Summit (6,817 ft./2,078 m)
Overnight Snow: 0"/0cm
Settled Base: 37"/94cm
Total to Date: 47"/120cm
Temperature: 23°F/-5°C
24hr Snow: 0"/0cm
7 Day Snow: 0"/0cm
Current Conditions: Sunny
Visibility/Wind: Clear - 13

Terrain Status
Open Runs: 31
Terrain Parks: Whitetail
Night Skiing: Closed

Lower Mountain (4,464 ft./1,361 m)
24hr Snow: 0"/0cm
Village Settled: 5"/13cm
Total to Date: 0"/0cm
Temperature: 21°F/-6°C
7 Day Snow: 0"/0cm
Current Conditions: Sunny
Visibility/Wind: Good - 7

And a snip:

Because we need to download our guests on Chair 1, the last ride up will be at 2:30 p.m. We have also adjusted the closing times of other lifts as follows: Chair 5, Chair 11 and T-Bar 2 close at 2:30 p.m. Chair 7 closes at 3 p.m., Big Easy Carpet closes at 4p.m., and Chair 6 closes at 4:30 p.m.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Odd note. On the grooming report they've reclassified North Fork and Outside Road from blue to black. I'll have to fix my site. I tend to agree a bit. North Fork especially. A real fooler that one.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Snow QUALITY is excellent. What's open is more than enough for me for the next couple of weeks, but I wouldn't fly here. Of course I hear myself saying that and realize that what is open here is more than I used to ski on at Camelback when it was 100% open.... But then no one ever flew to ski Camelback, either.

TS
Dorm

Dorm

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Sibbi ... I did read the snow report and was sort of befuddled re: "we will be downloading ... our guests". Does this mean moving/pushing snow from the summit down towards the village?

I looked for a grooming report to get an idea what was open, but didn't see it via the site. Are pretty much all of the groomers open? Snow is in the forecast for Friday and possible over the weekend too. Again, thanks ... I'd just like to get a feel how much of the mountain is open so as to decide whether to come out.

Ciao ... Dorm

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Sibbi ... I did read the snow report and was sort of befuddled re: "we will be downloading ... our guests". Does this mean moving/pushing snow from the summit down towards the village?

I looked for a grooming report to get an idea what was open, but didn't see it via the site. Are pretty much all of the groomers open? Snow is in the forecast for Friday and possible over the weekend too. Again, thanks ... I'd just like to get a feel how much of the mountain is open so as to decide whether to come out.

Ciao ... Dorm

Not sure if this is what you're asking, but "downloading" means you have to ride one of the lifts down to the base, because you can't ski to the base.

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
They have been downloading because the frontside is unskiiable at the moment. Most of the mountain is closed. And lots of brush on many of the groomers that are open on the back. But like Sibhusky said the quality of the snow is pretty nice where we have it. I can not conceive of anyone making a trip for current conditions, but seems like many resorts are even worse off than we are right now.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Ciao ... Dorm

@Dorm, you just need to keep scrolling scrolling scrolling down on the snow report. This new mobile friendly site can involve lots of scrolling. I was sort of wondering where you got this idea that we had top to bottom runs, considering that most of the trails are marked closed. Screenshot_20171210-231623.png Screenshot_20171210-231631.png Screenshot_20171210-231637.png Screenshot_20171210-231644.png Screenshot_20171210-231651.png Screenshot_20171210-231658.png Screenshot_20171210-231704.png Screenshot_20171210-231710.png

Last edited:
TS
Dorm

Dorm

Booting up
Skier
Ok all ... thanks for the feedback and I finally found the lift/trail status info (I thought there was a specific link to a grooming report). And as stated skiing is mostly restricted to chair 5,7 and 11, so not worth a trip for me.

I'm at Wolf Creek, Colorado right now and skied yesterday; will ski today and that's it. I've been skiing here early season for 10-12 years and this is the thinnest snow I've ever seen here. I heard they were making snow at night and pushing it uphill to cover some of the brown. I went to one of the local rental shops that has a great selection, and had to rent a pair of older rock skis ... I didn't want to mess up my gear nor they theirs ogsmile.

Ciao ... Dorm

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
For those wondering about the positioning of the top of the "new" (moved) lift. East Rim lift (aka Chair 5) is the structure over on the left. Ant Hill on right. Will try and get a picture of the bottom next time. I'm afraid I had to reduce the size to meet site rules, but I needed the spread to show the relationship between the Ant HIll and the position of the chair.

IMG_2975_stitch - Copy (1280x340).jpg

TS
Dorm

Dorm

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Sibbi ... and the snow keeps on coming! I've been watching daily snow and weather reports, and may be out that way in January.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Today looked quite nice on the cams, cold and dry with new snow on the ground. Glad to see the front side and chair 2 finally open, hope it keeps it up - I'm ready to ski, Bigly!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
They opened Hellroaring Basin today. Trail count % open now 93%.

Edit. As of 12/28, 98%. One of the two closed runs is a terrain park run. Last is Purgatory, not one of my favs anyway. All the lifts are running as it's Christmas week.

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just got to say, that despite not being able to ski Whitefish anytime soon, I'm eager to do so and to follow along.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
300+ inches so far this year. I've been here 5 weeks and only missed one day of skiing. Today was stellar: 8" of super dry powder, good visibility, reasonable temperatures, a little sunshine, no wind and for some reason no excessive crowds. What a day!

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid