• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

White pass (Norwegian) turn vs. Ligety race turn

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Wedge step swings, wedge edge locks, World Cup wedgies, crab hops, all a little different in my experience but all related.
YA-YAS sound good ogsmile.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Playing around today with white pass turns and some other stupid ski instructor tricks (ogsmile) reminded me of these. I always referred to them as ”moon walks“ but I have heard them called ”hanger turns“ Or even confused with a converging step turn. In some respects they are similar and contain elements of the white pass turn.
View attachment 86336 View attachment 86338

& back to ski turns
View attachment 86339
Whatever a drill is called it doesn’t really make much difference, it is how they are implemented to enhance someone’s skills or improve on weaknesses. I am with Marko, most drills can be anything you want them to be.
These yo yos had fun doing ya yas with you today! Your videographer must be one awesome skier ⛷⛷
Thanks for working with me for a bit. I get lazy and bored with drills. I need to be pushed sometimes!

4ster

Instructor
These yo yos had fun doing ya yas with you today! Your videographer must be one awesome skier ⛷⛷
Thanks for working with me for a bit. I get lazy and bored with drills. I need to be pushed sometimes!
Here is part of what you shot.
7E51DE04-9771-416A-A1AD-97C71D04B66D.gif
F6C2D2ED-547F-4DFC-935A-EFFED5BD03A7.gif

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

4ster

Instructor
Here is a high level white pass turn performed by Kilde from today’s super G at beaver creek.
3F87232E-54E1-451D-A52F-EE697859E56A.gif

James

Out There
Instructor
Did he pull that out? Hard to tell, the outside dki is wobbling so much.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Kilde had that run won, "going away" until that.....and he only lost the win by .10 sec. That was a real save. Kilde is a strong as a bull. Look for good season, now full dialed in with his "new-old"company. Sorry for the thread drift.....

4ster

Instructor
Did he pull that out? Hard to tell, the outside dki is wobbling so much.
Yes, he pulled it off.

Well... I like that he brings the ski down by leveling his hips. :geek:

Kilde had that run won, "going away" until that.....and he only lost the win by .10 sec. That was a real save. Kilde is a strong as a bull. Look for good season, now full dialed in with his "new-old"company. Sorry for the thread drift.....
I think my leg would’ve snapped off! :crutches:

James

Out There
Instructor
I love that he makes the turn at the gate totally on the inside ski. If anything, the outside ski at that point is trying to destroy him.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Here is a high level white pass turn performed by Kilde from today’s super G at beaver creek.
View attachment 86601

Freakn 'ell. Guess his leg is now certified for 'flutter'.

I like this performance WP, especially the little hop at entry. Note the leveling of hips. Axel?
MwKqQP.gif

The hop entry can be useful for those new to the drill having difficulty getting the inside ski to start turning.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Really shows his strength. I hear that he is and has been the strongest on the Norwegian speed team when they test, which says something when being compared to guys like Kjetil J and ALS.

Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ted Ligety had his best year when the new GS ski specs required the large radius (35m?). Head was the first to bring out well performing skis for the new FIS spec that year, and Ted really knew how to use them. The next year all the other ski makers also had very well performing GS skis.

Ted's movement of shifting to the outside edge of his old inside ski is to start bringing his body across the skis. That rolls the ski to its inside edge as it becomes the new outside ski.

The White Pass turn isn't a turn...it's a balance drill. As with any drill, every coach may put their own 2¢ into it. The drill may have had its origin in the 1980s when Steve Mahre was racing, hit some uneven snow during a turn, and the skis did a little dance under him. The Mahre brothers were from the White Pass ski area near Yakima, Washington.

TS
Mike-AT

Mike-AT

Booting up
Skier
So, have you started working on White Pass turns yet?
If yes, how's it going? Have you gotten any success in doing it the way that Bobby is doing it?
What is working and what is not?

2nd day on the snow, again with my kids & the pistes were pretty crowded so I could not practice as easily as I wanted to - but JEEZ, talk about commitment! Leaning over & balancing on the new inside ski only scared the sh*t out of me. Couldn't do it in the few tries I had. Realized it feels super weird because of all the drills on weighting the outside ski, plus scary as there is no "other leg" available to step on in case you lose balance.

I think I need several more tries and some in-between steps (no idea how - maybe gentle carving on one ski only etc.).

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
2nd day on the snow, again with my kids & the pistes were pretty crowded so I could not practice as easily as I wanted to - but JEEZ, talk about commitment! Leaning over & balancing on the new inside ski only scared the sh*t out of me. Couldn't do it in the few tries I had. Realized it feels super weird because of all the drills on weighting the outside ski, plus scary as there is no "other leg" available to step on in case you lose balance.

I think I need several more tries and some in-between steps (no idea how - maybe gentle carving on one ski only etc.).

Yep. Gotta deal with the release first (there are two ways of doing this), then the sustained balancing on that LTE. Both are doozies to learn.

4ster

Instructor
Try learning/practicing sideslipping on your inside/uphill foot/ski.
As LF says "little toe edge"

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Try learning/practicing sideslipping on your inside/uphill foot/ski.
As LF says "little toe edge"

For the longest time I could do this LTE sideslip only on my left ski. When I tried it on the right ski, the ski would travel forward and my body bent over and twisted into some kind of pretzel shape, all against my will. Dunno why. Got that fixed, dunno how. Now working on doing it without the whole body uphill lean; trying to work some counter and angulation into it. It's surprisingly difficult to do, but repeat attempts do produce improvement.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier

You need to be able to switch the weight from the new inside ski to the outside at any moment.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dave Petersen
    Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid