• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

White pass (Norwegian) turn vs. Ligety race turn

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
2nd day on the snow, again with my kids & the pistes were pretty crowded so I could not practice as easily as I wanted to - but JEEZ, talk about commitment! Leaning over & balancing on the new inside ski only scared the sh*t out of me. Couldn't do it in the few tries I had. Realized it feels super weird because of all the drills on weighting the outside ski, plus scary as there is no "other leg" available to step on in case you lose balance.

I think I need several more tries and some in-between steps (no idea how - maybe gentle carving on one ski only etc.).

lol.... That's exactly how I felt when 1st had to do this drill - in the middle of some-one's assessed teaching. I'm thinking this is nuts but didn't want to throw the person undergoing assessment under a bus.

Stick with it. A couple of things that help...
1. Pick an easy pitch - you'll pick up speed at 1st
2. Wait until there's plenty of space both from the edge and other people - it will be harder to control your path precisely and the potential to run into some-one/something will interfere with you doing the drill.
3. If having trouble getting the new inside ski to start turning try:
i. Having your poles lightly in contact with the snow - that extra bit of contact helps balance
ii. Do a little hop on that ski to get it turning

Well worth the effort.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Baby steps.
Do LTE traverses.
Drag the uphill pole if you're working on not getting aft. I know, I know, bad idea, but for some reason it works.
Drag both poles if you don't have a problem with getting aft and want to balance on the LTE with angulation.
Do LTE side-slips.

TS
Mike-AT

Mike-AT

Booting up
Skier
Thanks everyone ... @LiquidFeet @geepers @4ster @Rod9301 ... really encouraging to read that this move is not easy stuff. I have completely underestimated it.

You need to be able to switch the weight from the new inside ski to the outside at any moment.
I *think* I am able to shift the weight to this inside ski during the turn... after all, I had to cure a bad habit on having too much pressure on the inside ski during right hand turns few years ago when I did some instructor-led runs. But flipping over from a flat ski to the LTE is scary!

@LiquidFeet - when you are talking about two ways to release, are referring to the classic flex/extend to release movements?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
^^Right. Extend the new outside leg.
Or flex the new inside leg. Two pathways.
Of course we do both, but which comes
first makes a big difference.

Last edited:
TS
Mike-AT

Mike-AT

Booting up
Skier
^^Right. Extend the new outside leg.
Or fex the new inside leg. Two pathways.
Of course we do both, but which comes
first makes a big difference.
Got it, thanks. I was a classic "extender" until recently, now I finally got flex-to-release working. Not second nature yet, but I am happy with my results. Youtube and forums esp. Pugski were really helpful to get the drift (pun intended :) ).

Sponsor

Staff online