• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Whistler vs Aspen

TrueNorth

Getting on the lift
Skier
Don't be too scared of rain in Whistler. With more than 5000 ft of vertical, rain in the village usually means snow on the upper mountain, and that's what you're going there for, right?

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Based on a US ski crowd Aspen should get more votes , but if you look up both weather patterns historically WB is actually colder and receives more snow (4 times more snow on ave). Like other said if you hit that weird Jan rain you just ride up a bit and you still have 4 times the runs over Aspen.
I love both BTW. WB due to a strong dollar in the US right now is a steal and may not stay this was for long so the next trip will cost more to WB

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Check Airbnb.com for lodging. Depending on how many paying members of the ski part, can be a great deal. I guess statement doesn't make sense for the OP, but maybe for others.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vail Resorts owns Whistler. I received an e-mail blast from VR advising me Whistler will recognize the Epic Pass beginning this season not next.

Aspen.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I went to Whistler in its "worst year ever" (2 wk of Jan rain) and still had a blast. I would go more often except it just takes so long to get there, and it's really easy to go to SLC, JH, even Reno.

Muleski

Inactive
We've had tremendous skiing at Whistler. Even when the weather has been less than the best. Rain in the village. The weather and snow at elevation was great. Have gone with friends, and we've always had fun. I'll echo SBrown's comment that it's a hike to get there. It's a REAL hike from the East Coast. I've been there, skied there over 25 days, and won't rush back. NOT because it isn't great. It is. It's a must do at least one, if you can. Being one who looks for deals, with the exchange rate, this might be the year. And if you have an Epic Pass.....go for it!!!

However, again, depending on where you come from, it's pretty hard to beat CO weather. For we New Englanders, it's the best. As I said earlier, when we visit, it seems to either snow, or be bluebird. And for my wife and I, it's very, very nice to be doing off the hill "stuff" in great weather, and not risking rain. Could be just walking around and grabbing a cup of coffee. Could be walking to dinner. Whatever. Watching the sun set, seeing stars, all of that is pretty neat. Walking through fresh snowfall is fun as well. We have hit a fair amount of rain at Whistler. Have never walked around anywhere in CO during ski season in the rain. Small thing........

I guess when I think of a special destination trip, I think it all through. I also like "old" and traditional. Some ski history. One of the reasons why we love Sun Valley. Whistler is new. And awesome. Maybe it's because we're old!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Talking to my ski instructor friend at lunch. Cloud level at 1,000m. Snowing on top. Nice in the village for temps. Like SBrown I've been out on bad years....so new snow in forever. I did need to get my skis tuned towards the end of the week because of the rocks. But it was a bad year. Shit happens. It can rain all week on the golf trip too.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I can't quote you the rates or remember the names of the lodges,:huh: but there are a couple of older lodges at Snowmass that are reasonable, located near the bus stop, and about 200-300 feet from skiing to a lift.

FWIW, I am a light sleeper, and I could *not* deal with our cheapo rental slopeside at Snowmass. After two overnights, I checked out and ate the cost of the final day. Very very very very loud. I think people were moving furniture in their ski boots in the room above ours. Others ( @Rainbow Jenny ) were prepared, brought ear plugs and such. If I'd had any idea, knowing how hard it is for me to sleep, I wouldn't have rented there.

But if you weren't featured in the story The Princess and the Pea, it's probably great!

it's pretty hard to beat CO weather. For we New Englanders, it's the best. As I said earlier, when we visit, it seems to either snow, or be bluebird.

Having lived here for 14 years now, I honestly stared at this for a few seconds, wondering what other weather conditions could possibly pertain.

Then I remembered. R-word. Ew!

Muleski

Inactive
Hah!

Well, having spent a bunch of my life in Northern NE, it can be really overcast and real gray. For days on end. And damp, and frigid. When we were in Maine, we'd sometimes tell friends that it was "maining" outside.

Our son brought a group of U14's East from CO for their first long distance race trip. Early April. They learned what mixed precipitation was!

So when you leave that,and have ten days or so of great snow, sun, and maybe one overcast day, you tend to appreciate it! Skiing in it, and just hanging around!

TS
DucE

DucE

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The Whistler fans are coming on strong :thumb: It's a tossup now.

Lots of great insights, which is making my decision more difficult, but enjoyable.

Muleski

Inactive
DucE,
I may have missed it, but where will you be traveling from? Where is home?

Might get some more thoughts out there! No bad choice on this one.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Been to both. Like 'em both. If I had to pick, I'd pick Aspen 8 out of 10 times.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's why I try to get a room on the top floor when I stay somewhere cheap (read, frequented by young adult males).

I didn't need ear plugs, we only had one noisy night (out of 7) from above when a family checked in. Top floor would have made carrying gear a pain, a tough trade-off. What a great time having MDSkier and Kara nearby to go hot tubing after skiing!

Everything is relative. The Snowmass Inn was posh compared the night I spent in a snow cave built with a partner in February, without sleeping bag. I haven't taken a warm and dry bed for granted since...

TS
DucE

DucE

Skier
DucE,
I may have missed it, but where will you be traveling from? Where is home?

Might get some more thoughts out there! No bad choice on this one.

I will coming from NY metro. Either resort is going to take some effort to get there, but it would interesting to know your thoughts.

Muleski

Inactive
The good news is that you can fly direct from NYC to Vancouver. It's a long flight {six hours}, but if you've checked out options, flights with layovers can add the time up considerably. My preferred plan is to try to get to Vancouver as early in the afternoon as possible. The transfer and drive to Whistler takes, in our experience, longer than planned. I think three hours.,

If the weather is nice, the drive is just spectacular. So, depending on how much you want to spend to get there, there are plenty of options. Bus, to a Suburban with driver. You do not want a car while there. You also want to pay attention if you are driving. And the weather can be unpredictable. I know some people who do zipcar. I wouldn't.

On the way back, you can ski half of the day, down to Vancouver, spend the night, fly home the nexf day. No way in hell will I ever fly on a red eye that far, even in the front of the plane.
Keep in mind, Vancouver is expensive. So with the current exchange rate, might be the time to do this trip. I say that preferring Aspen. Canada is affirdable.

So, flying out of NYC is a plus.

Aspen is one of the few ski towns that I would fly into, but I don't love the Denver to Aspen flight. I'd check out flying to Chicago, and Chicago to Aspen. The airport is right in Aspen. You do not need a car in Aspen. First time there, I would stay in Aspen. The bus service to get to Highlands or Snowmass is great. Everybody uses it.

You could fly into Denver, and depending on how we are paying for flights, we do. Southwest, for sure. Then it's a hike to Aspen. I drive in a lot of heavy traffic and crappy weather, but I'll never drive I-70 out of Denver on a winter Friday, in a rental. Nor will I drive back on a Sunday. So if you're driving, I'd avoid those days. It can be frustrating for a visitor, especially in snow. A shuttle takes a lot more time, but somebody else is driving. And you don't need to deal with the car, parking, etc. in Aspen.

You need to shop hard for car rentals, if you do go that route. They are stupid expensive in the winter at standard rates. Renting in Denver is often worth it over the DIA prices. Seriously, the car rental piece is a challenge.

Last time we were in Denver we rented from Silvercar {Audi A4}. With a coupon, it was about $60 a day. Had a ski rack. We were not headed to Aspen, and needed a car.

Plan on a day getting there, and one getting back home. From either spot. Unless you are an iron man!

At any rate, flying out of NYC makes things a bit easier. Particularly to Whistler. We like arriving both at the destination and home not feeling exhausted.

Both great vacations. You'll love either one.

TS
DucE

DucE

Skier
The good news is that you can fly direct from NYC to Vancouver. It's a long flight {six hours}, but if you've checked out options, flights with layovers can add the time up considerably. My preferred plan is to try to get to Vancouver as early in the afternoon as possible. The transfer and drive to Whistler takes, in our experience, longer than planned. I think three hours.,

If the weather is nice, the drive is just spectacular. So, depending on how much you want to spend to get there, there are plenty of options. Bus, to a Suburban with driver. You do not want a car while there. You also want to pay attention if you are driving. And the weather can be unpredictable. I know some people who do zipcar. I wouldn't.

On the way back, you can ski half of the day, down to Vancouver, spend the night, fly home the nexf day. No way in hell will I ever fly on a red eye that far, even in the front of the plane.
Keep in mind, Vancouver is expensive. So with the current exchange rate, might be the time to do this trip. I say that preferring Aspen. Canada is affirdable.

So, flying out of NYC is a plus.

Aspen is one of the few ski towns that I would fly into, but I don't love the Denver to Aspen flight. I'd check out flying to Chicago, and Chicago to Aspen. The airport is right in Aspen. You do not need a car in Aspen. First time there, I would stay in Aspen. The bus service to get to Highlands or Snowmass is great. Everybody uses it.

You could fly into Denver, and depending on how we are paying for flights, we do. Southwest, for sure. Then it's a hike to Aspen. I drive in a lot of heavy traffic and crappy weather, but I'll never drive I-70 out of Denver on a winter Friday, in a rental. Nor will I drive back on a Sunday. So if you're driving, I'd avoid those days. It can be frustrating for a visitor, especially in snow. A shuttle takes a lot more time, but somebody else is driving. And you don't need to deal with the car, parking, etc. in Aspen.

You need to shop hard for car rentals, if you do go that route. They are stupid expensive in the winter at standard rates. Renting in Denver is often worth it over the DIA prices. Seriously, the car rental piece is a challenge.

Last time we were in Denver we rented from Silvercar {Audi A4}. With a coupon, it was about $60 a day. Had a ski rack. We were not headed to Aspen, and needed a car.

Plan on a day getting there, and one getting back home. From either spot. Unless you are an iron man!

At any rate, flying out of NYC makes things a bit easier. Particularly to Whistler. We like arriving both at the destination and home not feeling exhausted.

Both great vacations. You'll love either one.

A really good and helpful write-up. Either destination has it's challenges in getting there quickly / easily. It's all part of the journey, however. :)

54-46

"Hold my beer - Watch this!"
Skier
All good points above. Short version: Been to both Aspen and Whistler about 8x each and clearly love both.

Always have a fantastic time in Aspen. (Profile pic is from Aspen airport looking at X-Games)

Whistler is hit and miss: 2x totally sucked (rained out); 2x epic dumps and endless bowls; and 4x good.

Sponsor

Staff online