• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Whistler vs Aspen

DucE

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
If you had to choose between going to Whistler or Aspen for a week, as part of your "bucket list", which one would you choose? I am asking in the context of the overall experience for a married couple- lodging, food, people, experiencing the culture and of course, skiing.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Oooo, that's a tough one. I love Whistler. But never been to Aspen and probably will never get there - altitude problems.

Whistler is a great town. There is more to do than just ski too. Food is great, skiing is great. They have some really neat festivals all year too. But we have a resident WB pugskier so he should really chime in here.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
What kind of terrain do you and the better half like to ski?

Whistler may have more snow if chasing snow is important. But Aspen will have more consistent conditions.

Really can't go wrong between those two.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I like Aspen. Usually consistent conditions because of the altitude, but not so high that I can't sleep. Great town.
I've never been to Whistler, mostly because I make plans weeks or months ahead of time, and there's too much risk of rain at lower altitudes.

dm

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I've been to both and you could have a fantastic or a terrible time at either. If altitude is a question, I'd say go to Whistler -- but it could rain. Both will cost you, roughly equal in terms of travel PITA factor. Toss-up at the end of the day. Didn't dine in Aspen, but Whistler has some excellent fine dining (tho assume Aspen does also, just can't say myself). Helpful, no doubt. :roflmao:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't tell you until March 12.
(End of the Whistler gathering.)
I do know that I loved Aspen so much I went there 2 years in a row.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been to both. Whistler in terms of snow (especially this year if La Nina materializes as it favors NW). Aspen for the town. Whistler has dining etc. but it is a contrived resort town. Aspen is a real western small city and has tons of off slope ammenities and world class restaurants (you will pay). That said, Aspen may cater more to an older crowd and Whistler may have a more raucous night life.

As to terrain, I'd say it's a toss up. Aspen has four mountains to choose from that comprise everything from beginner heaven (Buttermilk) to scare-you-hike-to (Aspen Highlands). All mountains are on a very good free bus system. Whistler is humongous and you can find whatever you want, but because it's so huge a mountain tour is highly recommended. Yes it can rain and be icy on the lower part of the mountain, but you can go down on a gondola and skip that part.

Even though Aspen is a small city, the mountains there are more likely to have a less crowded feel. I found the lift lines at Whistler to be like a Russian subway. Sharp elbows needed. Whistler is more diverse in demographics. Aspen leans toward the very rich.

Whichever you choose, you will undoubtedly think you made the right choice as both are great.

TS
DucE

DucE

Skier
Very helpful and interesting perspectives.

We are looking to ski in mid-January, so it is interesting to hear about the potential rain at Whistler.

It sounds like we would enjoy either resort / amenities.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Aspen has superior snow quality and is less crowded than Whistler and a way better chance for sunshine at Aspen.

If you are looking for nightlife, nobody out parties Whistler.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen has superior snow quality AND A MUCH LOWER LIKELIHOOD OF RAIN and is less crowded than Whistler and a way better chance for sunshine at Aspen.

If you are looking for nightlife, nobody out parties Whistler.

Agreed, with small enhancement provided, based on first-person experience!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
What's the going rate for a 1 bedroom condo rental with walking distance to lifts in Aspen?

I can't quote you the rates or remember the names of the lodges,:huh: but there are a couple of older lodges at Snowmass that are reasonable, located near the bus stop, and about 200-300 feet from skiing to a lift.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Re: Aspen rentals. Check VRBO. Options 2-3 blocks from the base of Ajax. Prices for one BR will be about $350 a night, on up, all in. The core is pricey, and prices spike on busy weeks.
Bus system is great in Aspen. Closer to the hill would normally mean Snowmass. Not s bad option, at all.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Also check the Tyrolean Inn and the St Moritz for less expensive housing right in Aspen itself.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been to Aspen many times and never to Whistler, but I grew up skiing in the PNW so am familiar with the coastal conditions and weather.

If you have to make plans ahead of time, Whistler has a bigger chance of poor weather.

If you have never been to either, I would reccomend Aspen for weather and snow quality.

GettingThere

Booting up
Skier
Have not been to Aspen, went to WB last season. One thing that I found very interesting was just the eclectic mix of nationalities there (lots of different accents to be heard on the slopes and slopeside - brits, aussies, others). Did not feel like a US resort from that point of view. Terrain was tremendous. Also a day of skiing in their "fog" was character building.

Muleski

Inactive
Meant to weigh in on this earlier. I have been to both. Four times to W-B, more to Aspen. I think that you should aspire to see both at some point. As others have mentioned, while different, you will certainly whichever you pick.

Right now, with current exchange rates, W-B is a relative bargain. Weather can be iffy, but snow is normally great. It's huge. We don't really love the "village", but it has everything. Yep, people party hard. Very diverse.

Aspen is iconic. It's got tradition, charm, history. It was a town long before skiing. But, as an example, this is the 80th anniversary of the ski club. Yes, a lot of the rich and famous head there. But it's not all like that. We love the skiing {we're serious skiers}. Pretty minimal lifelines, if any. And weather? It either snows, or it's bluebird for the most part. It is just beautiful. Elevation has never bothered us.

If Canada was not a bargain, I would say Aspen. I could probably make a strong hands down case. But I think I could be just as persuasive about W-B!

No bad choice. Two great choices. Visit one, then think about when you can visit the other. I doubt if we'll go back to W-B. We'll visit Aspen quite a bit. Part of it is that travel for us is much longer to W-B. That does not mean that we didn't like W-B.

You kind of find your favorites, in our case, over decades. Aspen is one.

Have fun!

TS
DucE

DucE

Skier
Based on the feedback so far, Aspen appears to have a slight edge over Whistler. Snow quality, the town itself, and more consistent weather seems to be a common theme.

That said, they both seem like good "bucket list" destinations. :daffy:

Sponsor

Staff online