• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which way do we turn our legs?

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
humm.. on slopes where I can pure carve without worrying about speed control.. i'll countersteer not with my legs however but it's more like pointing the toe out as i find it helps me get on edge quicker, moves me inside quicker.. Knees still stay square to my hips.. on steeper where i need to control speed.. i'll either not steer and actually finish the turn across the fall line or skid the top of the turn (steer slightly into the turn) to slow before i'm directly down the fall line. everything in moderation though.. the movement is minimal.. then again i'm on groomers 99% of the time. when things get hairy, i'll get into a full leg steer to quickly haul down the speed and change direction.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
so this thread never really took off....I mean it was the end of ski season.

Lets rephrase the question.

Which way do you perceive your legs turning? or which way do your students perceive their legs turning?

@LiquidFeet your welcome to chime in, heck I encourage it, I hope I am not making up what I saw in the bombers group today(12/7) when I asked the impossible of them, which was to tip their feet right and turn their feet left and instantly saw leg steering with no or much less hip twisting. I bet in some way this goes along with @epic s inside foot pullback thread. I am also curious how it felt to you as well.

I am just going to go out and say it. I think the notion that we perceive are legs twisting into a turn is actually wrong and not how the vast majority of people perceive the fundamental of the legs turning more, than the upper body. The way I personally perceive and what I have been teaching for about 2 years is on right edges to try to turn your feet left.

Before you armchair quarterback at me, please go try it on snow. I would take video but its an internal feeling of how you perceive your movement. I think the vast majority of dedicated to getting better skiers who are chronic hip twisters have been told phase such as "turn your leg where you want to go", move your hips against the skis so they dont twist, or PMTS you need more CA/CB. When the reality is with out understanding how most humans perceive their own movements its impossible to teach supposed "leg" steering.

@Josh Matta I would like to know if your feeling about this has changed since making the cuff adjustments on your KR2s. If you are not sure, try it tomorrow and tell me if it feels different or the same.

Sponsor