• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which two ski trips would you take?

Which two trips would you take?

• Alta/Snowbird (mid-December)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whitefish (late January)

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Schweitzer (late January)

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Jackson Hole (late January)

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Grand Targhee (late January)

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Red Lodge Mountain (late January)

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Tamarack + Brundage (late January)

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Big Sky (late March)

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Copper Mountain (late March to early April)

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Alta/Snowbird (early April)

Votes: 22 40.0%

• Total voters

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Fascinating that more voted for Targhee than Jackson.
Not that surprised, it was a big hit for the 2015? Gathering.
I like Targhee a lot (though I only skied 1 day there), but I only picked it over Jackson mainly because the OP has been to Jackson pretty recently. And has never been to Targhee.

James

Out There
Instructor
I only picked it over Jackson mainly because the OP has been to Jackson pretty recently. And has never been to Targhee.
Well the question was which one would you pick. Though the long walks on the beach shaggy dog story does make it blurry.

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
I skied Jackson Hole late January and Big Sky in late March this year and can't gone wrong with that itinerary other than JH was fairly crowded with Covid restrictions. But if they're loading to full capacity, shouldn't be an issue. For alternatives, what about Lake Louise in March? Can't beat the scenery, great cruisers, not crowded and if you want to challenge yourself, there's plenty there. It's a gem and from MN should be fairly easy to get to.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am curious as to why the locations are tied to dates…
Mostly just my research on when each place peaks for conditions, mixed with dates that work for my travel.

I skied Jackson Hole late January and Big Sky in late March this year and can't gone wrong with that itinerary other than JH was fairly crowded with Covid restrictions. But if they're loading to full capacity, shouldn't be an issue. For alternatives, what about Lake Louise in March? Can't beat the scenery, great cruisers, not crowded and if you want to challenge yourself, there's plenty there. It's a gem and from MN should be fairly easy to get to.

I left out Canada mountains just because of all the unkowns about their COVID restrictions. Would rather wait a year or two... don't want to plan a trip and have them close the border or something.

Rainypm

Booting up
Skier
Due to the unpredictability of getting across the border into Canada I scheduled my late January ski trip through WA, ID, MT, WY.

On your list I'll be hitting Schweitzer, Big Sky and Grand Targhee.
I've skied a lot at Schweitzer in January and had great luck with catching the storms. Missed the storm last year at Targhee but had an amazing time with hiking to get first tracks with some locals. Because of the distance between those two location and the fact I picked up an IKON pass, I'll be adding Big Sky as a stop. I'll hit a lessor known resort for weekend skiing with the plan to ski the bigger resorts during the week.

Here is a link to weather info I use for the area. In addition to his blog, I'll watch his youtube videos

If you need someone to ski some trees with on your visit in January let me know.

Sponsor

Staff online