• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any thoughts on 18" vs. 20" wheels on a second-generation Sequoia (or Tundra)?

The Sequoia Limited that's likely to be parked in my driveway soon has the 20" wheels. They look nice but are not so great for off-road.

The vehicle needs new tires for winter. I was thinking I'd get studded Hakka's and put them on the 20" wheels.

I'd then look for some used 18" TRD wheels taken off a Tundra or Sequoia and put KO2's or a similar AT tire on for summer. They'd be better for the bit of off-road that I do and improve the looks.

Does anyone see any issues with that plan or have any suggestions? There wouldn't be many benefits to running the winter tires on 18" wheels, would there? Might as well use the 20" wheels that it has with for winter?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I honestly don’t see a lot of difference in the 18’s vs the 20’s on mine. The Sequoia may do a little better in the snow than the Tundra due to the weight being a little better balanced over all 4 wheels than the Tundra but not a crazy amount better. Certainly not enough that I choose 1 over the other in bad weather.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
can anyone recommend a winter biased truck/suv tire that also can handle off road driving? I don't think I will be going to dedicated snow tires this season on my Tacoma as I want off road capability during the winter. The sharp rocks here ate up snow tires on my Outback.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
can anyone recommend a winter biased truck/suv tire that also can handle off road driving? I don't think I will be going to dedicated snow tires this season on my Tacoma as I want off road capability during the winter. The sharp rocks here ate up snow tires on my Outback.

The hybrid thread linked above for sure. The new Goodyear Ultraterrain is my current favorite. So far, that tire is astounding and insanely quiet. The manager at my local Discount Tire just shakes his head, he can’t believe how good it was last winter.

I can’t say how it will handle sharper rocks as I haven’t wheeled it hard. It should be good given it is a modern AT, but sharp AZ rocks tend to pick on certain tires. Guy I know down there swears by Cooper. The STT Pro is just a bad ass tire and I have used it in everything, hard, including ice (see the other thread).

The Falken AT3W and BFG ko2 are both heavier duty tires in terms of sidewall, but the Ultraterrain is the just the most modern tire of the bunch. I also have 60K on a set of AT3W and they still have 8/32 of tread. I think I will get a fourth winter out of them on the Sequoia.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Hi,
Um, is this the Pugski Land Cruiser club? I was directed here . . . ;)

Picked up my Aunt's 2008 with 160k on it, glorious highway miles. Will become my DD when the GLS550 goes back to Merc off lease. I feel so sensible now.

We have big, big plans. Trying to work out the logistics of getting her shipped out to Dissent in Auburn, CA for a full monty armor up, with a drive back through Ski country. Get em while you can! No more after 2022? Crazy talk.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All the older 4x4 Toyotas are becoming collector's trucks. It is so hard to find a good used one for a reasonable price.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
We have big, big plans. Trying to work out the logistics of getting her shipped out to Dissent in Auburn, CA for a full monty armor up, with a drive back through Ski country. Get em while you can! No more after 2022? Crazy talk.

There's an avid skier I know who owns a LandCruiser shop in Idaho just out of view of a ski hill if you need another shop as an alternative.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
There's an avid skier I know who owns a LandCruiser shop in Idaho just out of view of a ski hill if you need another shop as an alternative.

Well, we're in Charlotte, NC with a couple good local options - the reason I dropped Dissent name is their aluminum bumper and rack work is exquisite - and they're not shipping the 200 series stuff . . . yet. We're aiming for an overland build, as opposed to rock crawler direction (where steel would be the preference). I love the bling factor, but being realistic 90% of the driving will be on roads, paved or gravel, and rarely will be fully off road.

Idaho would be a bit of a commute for some work ;).

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be test-driving this V8 4Runner tomorrow if I didn't already have too many Toyota 4x4's:

160K miles and comes with KO2's and a good-looking carfax!

1639625870287.png

That MB dealer near me gets some great trades, so I keep email notifications coming from them. That search found my neighbor a great FX35, and he got dirt cheap just before they wholesaled it after it was on the lot a month. It seems like they try to move the lower-priced used vehicles quickly to make room for higher dollar stock.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'd be test-driving this V8 4Runner tomorrow if I didn't already have too many Toyota 4x4's:

View attachment 151457

That MB dealer near me gets some great trades, so I keep email notifications coming from them. That search found my neighbor a great FX35, and he got dirt cheap just before they wholesaled it after it was on the lot a month. It seems like they try to move the lower-priced used vehicles quickly to make room for higher dollar stock.
I have found that there can be some great deals to be had on all sorts of used vehicles at "luxury" brand dealers that they received as trade-ins and just want to clear off their lot.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier

View attachment 151457

I have a 2006 Limited with the V8. Just hit 255k miles with no major problems so far. Highly recommend. My dad has a brand new Tacoma and its crazy how much better the V8 is than the newer V6 engine, fuel economy ignored ;) .

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have a 2006 Limited with the V8. Just hit 255k miles with no major problems so far. Highly recommend. My dad has a brand new Tacoma and its crazy how much better the V8 is than the newer V6 engine, fuel economy ignored ;) .
Your dad needs to go on the Tacoma World forum, KdMax tuning thread, and then arrange for an aftermarket ecu tune for around $300.

The ecu tune addresses the wimpy power (torque) at low rpm that plagues the Tacoma's 3.5 V6. He or you can thank me later....says this owner of a 2019 tuned Tacoma.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Your dad needs to go on the Tacoma World forum, KdMax tuning thread, and then arrange for an aftermarket ecu tune for around $300.

The ecu tune addresses the wimpy power (torque) at low rpm that plagues the Tacoma's 3.5 V6. He or you can thank me later....says this owner of a 2019 tuned Tacoma.
Why do factory tunes have to be so abysmal for drivability? I understand they are going for fuel economy and low emissions but it seems how the vehicle behaves in the real world has become a secondary or tertiary consideration.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Why do factory tunes have to be so abysmal for drivability? I understand they are going for fuel economy and low emissions but it seems how the vehicle behaves in the real world has become a secondary or tertiary consideration.
The next gen Tacoma is likely to be a 4cyl turbo as well as a hybrid option with an electric motor between engine and transmission, similar to the new Tundra. Both turbo and electric motor offer low end torque and good to great fuel economy, so problem solved at the factory, with improved drivability coming soon.

In the meantime, I am thankful that aftermarket solutions are available at reasonable cost.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

View attachment 151457

Sweet! 4th gens have had some silly price appreciation, but it’s flat out the best application of the 2UZ engine.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Just taken possession of one a few hours ago, so, at last, I can post here! Teeeheeee
Toyota RAV4 AWDi, 2.5 litres petrol/electric hybrid. Blue cyan (high observation colour!).
Alas it has been entrusted to me with summer tyres, so I need to wait till the snow tyres will arrive before actually driving up the mountains (due to go there dec 27th...grrrr, let's hope tyres will arrive on time) or even driving any mid to long distance anywhere (even to work). So basically stuck at home or max driving to carry /pick up the kid to school via back roads (Nov 15 till April 15th is compulsory snow tyres season here, or at least snow chains on board - which I do not have either and need to order anyway...grrrr)

Edit : I asked the tyres shop to get as much as possible of an M+S set of tyres but, being a company car I will have to make do with whatever the lease company will select for my car...sigh

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have found that there can be some great deals to be had on all sorts of used vehicles at "luxury" brand dealers that they received as trade-ins and just want to clear off their lot.
Absolutely. In addition to great deals, the used vehicles at luxury dealers often have dealer services like clockwork, with fluids changed more frequently than the schedule.

My wife's recently acquired GX was traded to an Infiniti dealer. They had two almost identical GX's that were both traded in for the big three-row Infiniti (whatever it's Qualled). It had perfect service at the Lexus dealer and would have been a CPO if traded there as confirmed when they did the pre-purchase inspection.

I bet we'll be seeing an Escalade size Lexus shortly to hang on to those folks that want something bigger than an LX. And, also a stretched option of the next Sequoia to compete with the Surburban.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@tball ,

My bed is 5'. The box is about 6.5'. Long enough for 215s. I put a piece of white reflective tape around the overhanging section to avoid the 'I couldn't see that black thing in the dark!' It works great, no issues with the overhang. It is more pleasant to walk into that than a hitch. :eek:

My future plan is to build a capper for the truck that has an 8' roof with overhang fore and aft. I'll send images as I build. My goal is a capper, not a camper, but the roof will pop up like a Westfalia and have a sleeping platform that will allow me to stretch out comfortably.
Same Truck but with said capper now installed.

IMG_20210925_100005_DRO.jpg

I've used a number of times as my base lodge lately.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
EPA fuel economy is out for the new engine and transmission.

Here's a comparison of the new Tundra with the 3.4TT V6 vs the old Tundra with the 5.7 and 4.6 V8's:

1639783740160.png

But, will it go a million miles?

Last edited: