• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, crap. I may very well have a totaled LC ... haven't heard back from insurance yet but I'm preparing for the news. (It doesn't seem that bad, but it's an old vehicle and they seem to declare total loss at the drop of a hat these days....)

I don't need another fancy LC, and this one had definitely become a utility vehicle; I think I would replace it with a truck, something inexpensive. At first I was thinking a total beater, but maybe that's a bad idea. I would like to take it off road a little bit, as well as use for a hauler, stump puller, etc.

I know where to do my research, which I will do, but this place is good for the Cliff's Notes version ... so, I'm thinking 1st-gen Tundra, something with 200K+ mi ... what do I watch out for? Cursory glance shows some clean-looking 2000s with low miles (low meaning under 200K), but that was the first model year. Is it worth stepping up to the 05/06? Looks like a bit more HP. Also, if anyone sees anything within a not-too-awful distance between Denver and Grand Junction, let me know.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, crap. I may very well have a totaled LC ... haven't heard back from insurance yet but I'm preparing for the news. (It doesn't seem that bad, but it's an old vehicle and they seem to declare total loss at the drop of a hat these days....)

I don't need another fancy LC, and this one had definitely become a utility vehicle; I think I would replace it with a truck, something inexpensive. At first I was thinking a total beater, but maybe that's a bad idea. I would like to take it off road a little bit, as well as use for a hauler, stump puller, etc.

I know where to do my research, which I will do, but this place is good for the Cliff's Notes version ... so, I'm thinking 1st-gen Tundra, something with 200K+ mi ... what do I watch out for? Cursory glance shows some clean-looking 2000s with low miles (low meaning under 200K), but that was the first model year. Is it worth stepping up to the 05/06? Looks like a bit more HP. Also, if anyone sees anything within a not-too-awful distance between Denver and Grand Junction, let me know.
Whatja do to it?

What to look for? A good previous owner that maintained the truck. If not, a good mechanic that can give the truck a once over before you buy it. If you want a nice one keep an eye on Bring a Trailer, while they will not be the cheapest but you will find some of the best condition ones.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Oh man, that's sad. I really like www.cargurus.com for shopping for used vehicles. I'll keep an eye out locally as well.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@SBrown take a look at this article and comments if you haven't seen it:
https://jalopnik.com/most-underrated-cheap-truck-right-now-the-original-toy-1744623089

1st gen Tundra is a great truck. Not sure I'll ever get rid of mine. Only have 145K over 20 years of mostly I-70 skiing and it still runs like new and had almost no problems. No major rust issues, but I'm sure you've seen to look out for that as there was a class action lawsuit and rusted frames replaced (along with Tacomas).

Undersized brakes for mountain driving leading to warped rotors has been my only issue. The rotors don't last long after turning them, so I just replace them with the pads each time and baby them on the downhills with engine braking and they do fine.

There is plenty of power in the earlier 4.7 engine. I just did a 25-90 mph acceleration test on the Georgetown hill for a little agro release after a big rig was in the left lane. The Audi behind me seemed to be trying to keep up and couldn't.

Fully loaded it also climbs up to the tunnel just fine. We took the Tundra rather than the MDX a couple of times in severe weather this winter for the 4x4 and studded Hakkas over AWD and X-ice's. With a family of four and dog in the cab, and a fully loaded bed under the tonneau cover, the truck didn't bink climbing the I-70 grades or the time we had to go up Lookout Mountain because all the other roads were closed.

Mileage isn't too bad. I just got 18 mpg on two round rips to A-basin driving fairly fast.

At this point, I think condition and maintenance are more important than the model year, as @Philpug mentioned.

One reason I'd look for a later year is I believe ABS became standard or more common at some point. I wouldn't go without ABS. It was an option on my 2000. Stability control and traction control were not available when I bought mine new but were added at some point. I wish it had VCS and traction control for driving in the snow, but I like to think I make up for it with killer snow tires. Without the tires, it's a challenge deciding when is the right time to switch in and out of 4 high as it's easy to lose the rear end in 2WD when it's slick. With good snow tires, 4 high is usually overkill, and slipping in 2WD is easily controlled.

I love that it's the right sized truck for me. It's big enough for hauling both people and stuff, yet can still be parallel parked downtown Denver or easily navigate the Cherry Creek Mall parking garage. It has been a fantastic mountain and urban warfare vehicle and my Limited has a fairly nice interior for its day.

Kiddos will be too big for the extended cab before long, and I wish there were airbags back there. I'll be looking for a replacement or supplement fairly soon, probably a 5.7 Tundra or Sequoia, but I wish Toyota would add a mid-sized truck with the 4.6. I think I'd buy another one new and be set for another 20 years.

Happy to answer any questions you've got!

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw this overland outfitted 2003 Tundra. $16,000 with 130K miles in OKC. Would be interesting for me at a different time of life. @jmeb?
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/oklahoma-city-outfitted-overland-2003/6903278876.html

01515_hyzkqmlkb7J_1200x900.jpg
00k0k_7HPBjwwd8ev_1200x900.jpg

00g0g_gnWkAQk7B4A_1200x900.jpg

It's nice that skis fit lengthwise in the first gen extended cab bed. The bed is shorter in the second gen double cab, so they have to go sideways, making a platform you can put skis under more difficult and less space efficient.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
That's pretty dope. Unfortunately not in the market right now...and if I was I'd be buying one of the 4 Mitsubshi Delica 4x4 vans my neighbor just imported.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Craigslist score today. I don't know how I managed to get this truck. The guy's phone was blowing up as I was test driving it. 2001 Xtracab 4x4 SR5 with 80,000 miles. Owned by an 82 year old who drove it 2-3k miles for the last 7 years. It is flawless and will now be my adventure vehicle.
IMG_0735.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Toyota Canada offered 1.99% financing for 36 months, so last week I bought this:
It now has a BAKflip hard panel lockable tonneau cover which turns the 6' truck bed into the perfect ski box.

Attachments

• 2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed MT 4X4 (2).JPG
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed MT 4X4 (2).JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
any advice on a shell for my truck for ski season? I'm assuming I need to look for one with water proofing? What about tonneau covers, are they an option? I've also seen people mount up ski roof boxes in their truck beds but I'm assuming that would require some fabrication?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
also any other advice on winter proofing the truck for skiing is appreciated. I'm going to upgrade the headlights and add a light bar for some added visibility. Also will be using snow tires.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Most shells I have used are pretty decent for waterproofing. Leer, Are, Snugtop are the most common brands. Look on Craigslist for a start. New ones usually star around $2 k. Also look for one with the single central locking handle if possible. The ones with a handle at either side are a PITA in my experience. I have mine set up so it locks when I lock the truck

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I made a simple rail mounting system with wood and artificial rain gutters. Of course I had gutter mount towers. The wood is 1 x 3 and is bolted to the rail using existing holes in the rail. It is quite strong. Strong enough that the Thule bars bent instead of the wood splitting when I drove the truck into the garage with a bike on top. Banana for scale. I can take better pictures if you want. It is nice that the Thule box is at the same level as the cab. Access is really easy.

20150410_084759.jpg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Core2 I've got one of these fairly inexpensive Tounouu covers and it works great for skiing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7GDYEQ/

Everything stays dry in the bed. I've got a 1st gen Tundra access cab and I can fit ski and everything we need for a weekend ski trip for a family of four under there. With a Taco I'd think your skis will fit in the bed sideways, yes?

I have this thick rubber mat in the bed which is nice to lay skis and luggage on:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6XAPNS

Most of our ski stuff is in waterproof storage bins like Doug has above, just the right height to fit under the Tonneau Cover. It's never leaked, but if it did everything would still be dry.

I really like how easy it is to remove and store the Tonneau Cover so I can do truck stuff. I"ve done it twice already this summer and it's only 5 minutes or so. The only time I've wished I've had a topper instead is to sleep back there. I almost got one long ago but was also worried about the visibility. For a long time, I just threw my skis in the open bed and had room in the cab for all our stuff, then kiddos came along.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've got one of the world's cheapest roll-up tonneau covers (I paid about $130 shipped to Red Lodge, Montana, so after taking out the shipping cost and profit margin, I think the actual manufacturing cost is impressively low). It does a more than adequate job of keeping hardgoods dry; if I'm going to put stuff in the back that I really want to be dry, it goes in dry bags or plastic containers. If I want to put a motorcycle, lawnmower, etc., in the truck, I just roll up the cover and I have the full length of the bed available. Works great for throwing multiple pairs of skis in the back and having them out of sight.

Aside from the one or two times I wished I had a cap so I could sleep in a trailhead parking lot for an early departure, I'm 100% happy with the roll-up cover. I suppose I *could* sleep under it, but it would feel claustrophobic and not be a particularly great idea in bear country unless I could eliminate all attractants from the area of the truck.