• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Well, then, I hope it's fast. :D!

Fast cars are my weakness...
It’s not a Toyota, in fact it’s not even Japanese but it is fast...
34526742-31B7-4D9C-97CA-9F2A58508763.jpeg

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Dang, I know my brother needs one more day & we’ve been talking about it but we already have commitments tomorrow. Where & what time are you meeting?

The first parking lot on the right after the Blue Lakes Road turnoff. 8 A.M. Then we'll rally to The Nipple from there.

Joe Strummer

Getting on the lift
Skier
I drive a 2006 RAV4. Bought it new. Now has 250,000kms on the clock. Apart from routine maintenance, I've only had to replace the alternator, water pump and battery. I have the transmission fluid changed once per year since my local ski hill is one you have to drive to the top of.

As the spare tyre is attached to the read door, there's bundles of room in side.

All-in-all I'm pretty satisfied.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Let’s talk about the magic dial.

3165433D-42C2-4144-BFE5-9DF179A9802D.jpeg

Only one Toyota came with both, many Tacos and 4Runners have tended to be offered models with rear only. Locking an IFS diff is a dangerous game in terms of strength and grenading CV axles.

And only one other vehicle has ever had factory front and rear lockers as an option. You can still buy that one, but you can’t mention it in this thread. ogsmile

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I chose a 2006 Volvo XC70 with 4C Suspension which monitors suspension travel 500 times per second and adjusts the shock dampening 200 times per second. The handling of this car is superb.

Sadly, not an available option in the USA. I've ridden in one, and it is astounding. Swallows potholes, then corners flat as a pancake.

I am not sure if Ram Promaster or Ford Transit will ever come from the factory as a 4X4 but it might be worth waiting for or getting an aftermarket 4X4 conversion.
I do not like Mercedes Sprinter vans.
Unlike Ram and Ford, Mercedes dealerships, which means parts and mechanics, are only found in large cities
Some Sprinter campers after being made into an RV have very little remaining weight caring capacity for people and their gear.
I have heard on Youtube but have not verified, that an oil change requires removing a lot of parts and can cost hundreds of dollars.
If you look around it is not hard to spot older Sprinter vans with rust issues.

Disagree heartily. Having owned one since 2007, it has cheerfully lived outside in the PNW with nary a hiccup of any kind whatsoever.

Current Sprinters have payload capacities of 3,500, 4,500 and 5,600 pounds. Not sure what world that qualifies as "very little", and when loading one up heavily, or towing, I'd take it every day over the FWD Promaster (actually a POS Fiat).

But I hear you on the servicing issue. We bought Dodge, which made service easy, but that's long gone. Luckily, my small town has so many Sprinters that one of the indy guys is great with them. Still, if we ever wear it out, we'll go Ford Transit -- partly because of that sweet twin-turbo V6!

I guess this doesn't really belong in a Toyota 4 x 4 thread, so I'll just mention that I've got a good friend with an old FJ that he "re-engined" with an older fuel injected Ford V8. Big fun in the summer!

Reactions: nay

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I drive the honorable Pugmobile to ski. This is a 2010 Rav 4 Sport. V6, 4WD. I wish Toyota stuck to that design. Later years they made it smaller and more like the honda CRV. I guess I'm not hip enough? :huh:

My brother is pissed that the V6 has been discontinued. He has this exact model except maybe old at 2006. He tows a boat in the North Carolina flatlands.
the V6 could tow 2500 to 3000 lb. The V4 they sell now can't tow squat. He wants to buy a new compact sport ute that can tow more than a Subaru Outback.

That's to say he wants better gas mileage when not towing. Doesn't want a midsize like my Highlander that sucks gas. lol

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll refrain from further drifting this Toyota thread, but when I get some time, I'll do a review of the new rig.. It is a Mercedes Sprinter customized by Winnebago, the Revel model

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It’s cool to thread drift. This thread only exists because we started talking about Toyotas in a Subaru thread.

To some extent that’s the point as we evolve our thinking about what we drive and why.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
a little more drift. @nay yesterday the plan was to check out a few trails between Breck and Alma and yikes. Classic example why you always need to be prepared. Temp dropped to 35 degrees and we were in heavy snow/graupel. I felt bad for those without full tops and not the best clothing. Weather was a run killer.

Reactions: nay

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll refrain from further drifting this Toyota thread, but when I get some time, I'll do a review of the new rig.. It is a Mercedes Sprinter customized by Winnebago, the Revel model

So what I purchased was a Promaster, customized by some electrician guy and his woodworker friend; maybe we should start a thread on these things when you're ready to review? Clamp off the drift.

Q%CQmW5jRAu5rTdqdzXmVQ.jpg

lueHSMlgQLCvYLsbuBDidg.jpg
GoC7NGraRv+hzMDK7esFjQ.jpg
YGljwpSVSbq8uN75wT7Q4Q.jpg
DQYyppmVQCCaI5yTqIJzpQ.jpg
J2X2rWsuToqyTvKtdg1YBQ.jpg
fullsizeoutput_5194.jpeg

... back home.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Got the thread rolling.. Post these over there. Nice dog,--- ours was one of the reasons we got a van, this newf is a great car dog. Glad to see yours taking over the better seats.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
a little more drift. @nay yesterday the plan was to check out a few trails between Breck and Alma and yikes. Classic example why you always need to be prepared. Temp dropped to 35 degrees and we were in heavy snow/graupel. I felt bad for those without full tops and not the best clothing. Weather was a run killer.

We were hiking in Vail and it was pretty cold up top as the weather blew through. That’s sweet that it was snowing higher up, it looked like it at times over the gore range.

D63AC83C-DA29-4AF3-9A25-975A17A9CF55.jpeg

Gondolas are warm, though, for the knee friendly descent.

8D54047A-14C5-482E-A65E-CBAE1F9394E4.jpeg

A Toyota 4x4 was driven to Vail. Sequoia in particular. 7 people, 2 Bernese, food for all, and an upgraded suspension that handled it all without sag or loss of handling.

It actually drives better under load because the OME shocks are valved for medium expedition weight. That irritates me generally with OME, but by putting Tacoma struts and coils up front the Sequoia V8 extra weight is like a Taco with bumper and winch, and the 80 series coils and 100 series shocks in the rear (all of this is OME) match perfectly with people and cargo load.

A 1st gen Sequoia is basically a Tundra front half and Land Cruiser rear half and can be outfitted as such for a huge suspension upgrade.

It’s fun to be carrying an extra half ton and still drop Outbacks through the twisties.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online