• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which Swix Sidewall Planer?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

I am looking to purchase a sidewall planer.

I see that Swix has two different ones and an economy model and a racer model:

and

It seems like the economy model might be a better choice as it has adjustments?

Looking for a recommendation on which one to get?

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have both, I'm realizing as I looked at your links. They are both adjustable. The big difference is the shape of the cutter. The top one has a rounded one, whereas the bottom is square (straight line). I have never quite figured out how you're supposed to use the round one. Someone more experienced could advise. I am only using the one on the bottom, it's a bit of faff to adjust, but you should only have to do any sidewall planing once for a given pair of skis.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

Works on all constructions without adjustments needed. Many skis have cap & sandwich construction combined nowadays.
Make sure to soften hard spots from edges with 220 wet sandpaper before use. Pay attention to upper portion of edge.
If you get a chatter, it is usually from a hard spot. Further soften with paper or a 100 grit stone, then continue.

Jacques

Skier
I have both, I'm realizing as I looked at your links. They are both adjustable. The big difference is the shape of the cutter. The top one has a rounded one, whereas the bottom is square (straight line). I have never quite figured out how you're supposed to use the round one. Someone more experienced could advise. I am only using the one on the bottom, it's a bit of faff to adjust, but you should only have to do any sidewall planing once for a given pair of skis.

The round blade is for sandwich skis.
You should plane every time before you file an edge.
If you file frequently, you may not remove much, but you don't want interference.

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
The round blade is for sandwich skis.
You should plane every time before you file an edge.
If you file frequently, you may not remove much, but you don't want interference.
As I said, someone with more experience will do a better job.
I actually didn't think one needed to keep planing. I try to take out a good amount with the first tune and be done - largely because it's the part of tuning that I enjoy least. But it's a very good point, of course.

Jacques

Skier
As I said, someone with more experience will do a better job.
I actually didn't think one needed to keep planing. I try to take out a good amount with the first tune and be done - largely because it's the part of tuning that I enjoy least. But it's a very good point, of course.

You only want to plane off what is needed to file the side edge each time.
Don't worry, as you continue to do your own tuning, you will continue to learn.
If you file a ski edge many times it gets thinner and thinner. This is no worry. As long as the ski has "life" in it, you may need to repeat the filing many times. I have some ski where the edge is next to gone, but the skis still have "life". In other words they still have pop and good torsional strength.
Anyway, sidewall planing is not a one time thing. Best of luck to you! :beercheer:

James

Out There
Instructor
Fk sks pro.
You really shouldn't take off all the support behind the edge the "first time" and apparently only, time you do it.

What's more satisfying than taking a long curl of plastic? I like it. Cap skis with the clear cover smell like some dead animal when you plane it.

If you don't enjoy planing, get the 7drg Beast pansar file tool.
^Switches easily from round to square. Lol, I've always just used sq for sandwich skis.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....It seems like the economy model might be a better choice as it has adjustments?
....You should plane every time before you file an edge....

I am very dissatisfied with the more expensive pro model that I purchased. I've figured out how to use it, but don't like the stress of re-figuring out how every time I use it. It doesn't adjust logically. It has two cutters, a round one and a square one. I've used each on the same skis.

Thanks, @Jacques, for clarifying that a ski may need sidewall planing every time a file is used. I've found that's the case for me, but I've never seen anyone say that before. I thought I was overdoing it.

Last edited:
TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
from what I understand the economy model has a depth adjustment whereas the race model does not?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I can't imagine a planer without depth adjustment. Every sidewall is different and planers don't want to hit metal, just plastic.

This is what a round cutter does. The sidewall is very much out of the way, too much for what I would consider doing today.

IMG_20200128_171614840.jpg

This was done for me a long time ago. While I have no complaints about how the ski runs, I prefer using a file to simply remove a little more sidewall each time, or when necessary. I don't file my skis very often, but when I do, I like to leave as much sidewall to support the edge as possible. Using a Panzer and higher bevel works for me.

As @Jacques points out, you only should plane when filing. I interpret that to mean, if you are just stoning your edges (and did the planing right) you don't need to for stone touch-ups.

Jacques, I would think you could use a square/straight knife on sandwich skis.

You also said "If you get a chatter, it is usually from a hard spot. Further soften with paper or a 100 grit stone, then continue. " Another reason for chatter is taking off too much at once.

In closing, on my skis, I think too much sidewall was removed, possibly weakening the support of the edge. We can't put sidewall back if we take off too much. Likewise, we can't undo bad chatter of the blade. Practice, practice, practice on skis that don't matter to you and know that every sidewall is different. Different shape, different material. They all cut differently.

Last edited:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
The round cutter, when properly adjusted, makes a radius cut that intersects the edge.
This provides more support for the edge than a square cut that leaves the edge unsupported and susceptable to impact.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The round cutter, when properly adjusted, makes a radius cut that intersects the edge.
This provides more support for the edge than a square cut that leaves the edge unsupported and susceptable to impact.
Yes, if you take a square cut in over the edge, it is unsupported. If you angle your square cut (just cut using one edge of the knife) to simulate what would happen if you used a higher edge bevel and a panzer, you don't remove much sidewall at all.

Certainly the goal is NOT to remove all the plastic above the edge but just enough to allow your edging tools to access the entire edge.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the economy one, it's good enough and quick to use - probably better for a "race dad" than the other one. I also use a 6 degree fixed with a panzer file... you kind'a need both - some skis have weird profiles.

Depending on the ski and purpose, I may strip "everything" upfront (serious FIS race skis - I think it helps the edge cut into the ice more, when it's thinner, at big angles).... or not and then just strip a bit at a time, as needed (all other purposes - some support behind the edge *should* lengthen its life).

Jacques

Skier
I can't imagine a planer without depth adjustment. Every sidewall is different and planers don't want to hit metal, just plastic.

This is what a round cutter does. The sidewall is very much out of the way, too much for what I would consider doing today.

View attachment 91594

This was done for me a long time ago. While I have no complaints about how the ski runs, I prefer using a file to simply remove a little more sidewall each time, or when necessary. I don't file my skis very often, but when I do, I like to leave as much sidewall to support the edge as possible. Using a Panzer and higher bevel works for me.

As @Jacques points out, you only should plane when filing. I interpret that to mean, if you are just stoning your edges (and did the planing right) you don't need to for stone touch-ups.

Jacques, I would think you could use a square/straight knife on sandwich skis.

You also said "If you get a chatter, it is usually from a hard spot. Further soften with paper or a 100 grit stone, then continue. " Another reason for chatter is taking off too much at once.

In closing, on my skis, I think too much sidewall was removed, possibly weakening the support of the edge. We can't put sidewall back if we take off too much. Likewise, we can't undo bad chatter of the blade. Practice, practice, practice on skis that don't matter to you and know that every sidewall is different. Different shape, different material. They all cut differently.

I just got some skis given to me.
Sandwich construction.
Some one used a square bit, and put a huge step above the edge. Did not cut into edge at all. I don't get it! Dummy.
I hate that! Some chatter marks too, but that's no big deal.
Anyway, I will only use a 7 degree to plane with on all skis.
Often I use with a cross-cut bastard file.
Easy to file back an aluminum sheet that can be just above the edge.
I like a smooth transition from edge to sidewall. The seven degree is the only way to go in my book.
If one has a hard time with a pazar section, I recommend to try with a cross-cut bastard.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am very dissatisfied with the more expensive pro model that I purchased. I've figured out how to use it, but don't like the stress of re-figuring out how every time I use it. It doesn't adjust logically. It has two cutters, a round one and a square one. I've used each on the same skis.

I really like my Swix Pro. I don't have any issues with its adjustment which are quite straight-forward IMO.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I really like my Swix Pro. I don't have any issues with its adjustment which are quite straight-forward IMO.

That's the World Cup model, not the Pro model.

I suspect that both @LiquidFeet and myself have the same planer: https://www.racewax.com/sidewall-cu...MIo73Y64Ox5wIVj8DACh2lXQtoEAQYASABEgIT4_D_BwE
rc2458__1__17428.1537767259.jpg

It took me a while to learn to use and it hates the "hybrid" sidewalls I have on two pairs of skis. It's fine for sandwich construction.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ I have that one too so now understand the lack of love for it. Much happier with my World Cup TA104.

Sponsor

Staff online