• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which Stockli Ski for Me?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree to a point, but I had my Elan SL race skis out on Sunday morning and I came away with a realization. Choice of ski isn't so much about sidecut as it needs to be about width (surface area). Most true SL skis are narrow. A narrow ski really wants to be on FIRM snow. As things softened up, as they usually do in the Spring, I became less and less relaxed. Nothing to do with the sidecut. Everything to do with insufficient platform. I flipped to my Hart Pulse (77mm underfoot) and I immediately relaxed. A 66mm waist just wasn't enough for the softening snow that started peeling away with high angle carving.

You can blame me for @James bad habit of spring skiing with a pair of FIS SL. Turn him on to that a few years back on EpicSki.

I came to that revelation a few years back when I was spring skiing at Taos for 18 days. Traveled with 3 pair of skis. Atomic FIS SL 158 cm., Volkl Kendo and Volkl One. I logged my ski days and the skis used. I find myself on the FIS SL more than the other two skis. They are wicked fun on the groomers and in the bumps. Round turns are a must.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
You can blame me for @James bad habit of spring skiing with a pair of FIS SL. Turn him on to that a few years back on EpicSki.

I came to that revelation a few years back when I was spring skiing at Taos for 18 days. Traveled with 3 pair of skis. Atomic FIS SL 158 cm., Volkl Kendo and Volkl One. I logged my ski days and the skis used. I find myself on the FIS SL more than the other two skis. They are wicked fun on the groomers and in the bumps. Round turns are a must.

I think there's also some validity to the old guidance of matching the ski flex to the snow density. So stiff skis go with firm conditions and more pliant skis with softer snow. The SL race skis I was using on Sunday aren't FIS level, but still fairly stiff. They were fighting the snow more than getting along with it. Of course some of that could also be the skills of the driver. ;)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think there's also some validity to the old guidance of matching the ski flex to the snow density. So stiff skis go with firm conditions and more pliant skis with softer snow. The SL race skis I was using on Sunday aren't FIS level, but still fairly stiff. They were fighting the snow more than getting along with it. Of course some of that could also be the skills of the driver. ;)

I am not much of a thinker when it comes to skiing. Mostly I go by how I feel. When things aren't right, I vary tactics until it feel good. A longer, rounder turn with a bit more speed on slushy groomers works well. Skiing the bumps off the top also eliminate the sinking feeling.

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
Stockli makes a great ski and from what you describe I really think you’d enjoy Laser AX.

I’m 54 years old, 5’ 10”, 170 lbs and have the Laser AX in 175cm. (I’m also a former instructor). I get out on my skis 80 to 100 times a year. There’s times I wish I had the AX in 182cm, but that’s only for really fast, 50mph+, frontside groomers. (Think Alpine Bowl at Alpine Meadows with no one in front of you; which doesn’t happen too often.) For your height and weight I’d lean toward getting the AX in 182cm.

I’m excited about the new Stockli AR model coming out next year and will probably get a pair, but I feel I’ll always keep a pair of AXs in my quiver. It’s an amazing ski. As I said in another post the AXs reward you for everything you do right, and doesn't punish you for mistakes.

Another Stockli ski I’d like to try, and it seems to fit into your overall requirements, is the SX. That sounds like a great ski to rip groomers with.

My current quiver for reference:
- Stockli Laser AX (175cm)
- Stockli Stormrider 88 (177cm)
- Stockli Stormrider 95 (183cm)
- Stockli Stormrider 107 (183cm)
- Kastle FX 95-non HP (181cm)
- Blizzard Rustler 9 (180cm)
- Volkl One (186cm)

Skis that come to mind that I’ve had in the past:
- Head Super Shape i.Rally (177cm)
- Head Monster 83 (177cm)
- Kastle FX94 (178cm)
- Kastle BMX 98 (178cm)
- Volkl Mantra (177cm)
- Volkl Kendo (177cm)

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Really wish Stockli would make like a Rustler 9 or Bonafide in a 184. Very nice skis, but I dislike the glassy nature of them. They need some baby seal skin or fur and a little flex refinement.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Really wish Stockli would make like a Rustler 9 or Bonafide in a 184. Very nice skis, but I dislike the glassy nature of them. They need some baby seal skin or fur and a little flex refinement.

Agreed, but Stockli is traditionally conservative and slow to move in more "progressive" directions. For other manufacturers, they may know the Stockli "secret sauce", but are unwilling to bring it into their production because it truly is a more costly build.

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier

This!

I wish my Rustler 9s and my Stormrider 95s could somehow mate. I think the resulting lovechild would be the perfect ski for me.

And “glassy nature” is a great description. I dislike that feel too.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a premium ski that does fit the bill...the Augment 88 Ti...the power of the Kastle with the shape of the Stockli.