• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which Stockli Ski for Me?

SkiDuzzi

Booting up
Skier
IMG_6300.jpg
I am new to Pugski.
60 year old skier
Former instructor
6' - 220lb - Athletic
Advanced/Expert
Front side skier
40 days on skis this season
Prefer early morning frozen conditions
Mostly ski east with trips West
My every day driver is the Volkl Kendo 184cm.
I am on my 5th pair of Kendos...the ski is a natural fit for me
Also have a pair of Skilogik Ullr's Chariots TT 178cm.
Looking to splurge and add a pair of Stockli skis to my quiver.
Thinking the Laser AX in 175 or 182 for a front side ski to rail groomers?
Also looking at the new Laser AR but may be too similar to the Kendo?
Open to suggestions on other Stockli models?
Looking for advice on ski and size selection given my size, ability and usage
Thank you.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Depends what you're looking for. Railing groomers would be the forte of the newish WRT. Laser SC, Laser SL, CX.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The AX is my every day work ski. It is what I choose if I could be skiing with timid beginners, an advanced skier who wants yo work on carving, or a hard charger on the backside of the mtn.

That said, it is super versatile, but it does compromise something in top end, carving performance. I also have one, or a couple, of each of the Laser line.

If you want shorter radius turns the SC is a great, all mountain carver. The GS if you want something for longer radius turns.

If this is a dedicated carver, I'd highly recommend mounting with the Marker WC Piston Plate.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have Laser AX

Agree that with this fine line, your choice of binding starts to make the difference to tilt the balance which way you prefer it to go.
Putting it on a race plate for more race performance.

Put it on an big mtn demo binding (e.g. i have aaatack2 13demo) with more mass and elasticity it will be more all-mountain-y

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Laser SX (albeit an older pair) 170's with Vist 614 Speedlocks. They rock! Especially on the ice (ontario hardpack) My go to ski when its icy and hard. Nothing else holds an edge and carves like these.

Africa

Booting up
Skier
AX in 182, specially if you are used to the Kendo in a 184. Still a little cross over with the Kendo though.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ll probably get flack for this but my advice is to buy a FIS slalom ski. You have a decent quiver-add a real sports car, not a Lexus. Sounds like you’re already a decent driver and this’ll make you better. What do you have to lose?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lots of good options listed already.

I agree about the FIS 165 slalom ski - IF you want short slalom turn dynamics on a daily basis, and IF you want the greater exertion (for a good part of the time) that goes with that slalom dynamic.

For your back east skiing, or out west, what turn dynamics are you looking for? More SL? More GS-like? Or in between?

I see you have the Kendos in a longer length, not in the 177 or shorter versions for quickness (a usual bump reference, even for big guys); but maybe more the 184 for frontside stability and a bit longer turns? I'd guess the 184 Kendo would also bring in some GS type dynamics to the skiing frontside, whereas the 177 would create more of an "in between," quicker feel, in between slalom and GS dynamics and turns. The 177 would be much quicker side to side, but longer would give more stability at speed, perhaps?

I ask this to get on the same page with you, and because many if not most Laser Stockli skis are dialed in to either short turns or longer, and to the dynamics of shorter or longer turns - and some are best for in between. Different Laser skis fit each type. And different lengths within each model fit each type.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if the ax, I'd vote for the 175 and not the 182.
It is already so super stable, and so you can have fun on the shorter length; Esp. since you're current allmtn skis are about 180+ and not 190+, i don't see why you're considering the frontside specific ski over 180+.

You don't need that extra length for resort skiing because you'd have to go super duper fast on a racecourse with and safety nets and medical personal fast before that extra length would be kicking in and playing a role for you.

James

Out There
Instructor
Slalom skis can be very relaxing. Not some monstrous fat and long thing that is reacting to bumps all the time. In bumpy packed and cutup powder I often wish I was on a slalom.

I don't get the "you must make short turns" on a slalom ski. As an example, I've probably spent a total of a week on a slalom ski in Switzerland on a huge mountain. The last thing I want to do is make 6 billion turns.
But, ok, when I'm on my 192cm 26m fat things I yell at my ski partners as I blow by, "Damn short turners!"

Skip the AX, it's a truckster carver. Great ski, but it's not the goal.

Compromise would be the SC. Don't know the CX. You'd have to ask Noodler. Def don't get the AX in 182. At that point get a cheater gs ski with a round tip.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
AX in 182cm

For me, yes.

But I think it depends on the skier, and their style(s) and intended usage; and the other skis in their quiver. It's not an either/or thing, in this case: it's open to subject preferences. Such great options. But I've encountered gentle resistance to this here on pugski, consistently, for the different AX lengths in particular.

I think for most it's a simple matter of which ski would work best for the most skiers, basically - as maybe a good first, second or third ski option. For that I might well chose the 175.

I finally got to ski the 175 AX at SIA demo, and found it really great also. It's quicker edge to edge than the 182, and feels lighter, easier. In bumps or trees, I'd rather be on the 175. In tighter spaces or steep bumps, the 182 mounted from 0 to +1 or so at least starts to feel heavier, and more work, as @James has described well and accurately in another thread. And the 175 length ski is very stable at speed, and stable at longer turns at speed. So for most, it's probably the better option.

But the OP wrote he wasn't skiing bumps, more frontside use for this ski. So the advantages of the 182 come into play. Yes, the 175 is stable at speed, and has a great "in between" quick sort of feel and dynamic. But the 182 has a wonderful, more stable gs feel at speed, a real tank there, no problem. It has optionally real GS ski dynamics, in an easier, more versatile package than a gs ski, ESPECIALLY IF ONE USES AN ADJUSTABLE BINDING to find best mount positions. (Mine happen to be from +2 to +4.) So smooth, strong and effortless at GS type turns. One can really tirelessly lay it over. I own a number of FIS GS skis I love; a pair of Stockli Laser GS in 180/18 I love also; a pair of Head Rebel WC iSpeeds too, also in 180/18 (and they are different from the Laser gs in a fun way); but the 182 AX is just as fun at gs dynamics, etc. to me, nicely different, while more relaxing, and more versatile.

Perhaps surprisingly, the 175 Laser AX has a much greater overlap (centered around quick edge to edge turning) with the two 180/18 gs type skis mentioned - all very quick edge to edge, in the fall line. The AX in 182 is distinctly different in this regard - in some ways between these three and an FIS GS ski. (And a Sean Pettit type turn ski once one gets close to +3 or +4.)

To me, this stuff is not an either/or thing. Many good options. Subjective preference, fun to explore.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Slalom skis can be very relaxing. Not some monstrous fat and long thing that is reacting to bumps all the time. In bumpy packed and cutup powder I often wish I was on a slalom.

I don't get the "you must make short turns" on a slalom ski. As an example, I've probably spent a total of a week on a slalom ski in Switzerland on a huge mountain. The last thing I want to do is make 6 billion turns.
But, ok, when I'm on my 192cm 26m fat things I yell at my ski partners as I blow by, "Damn short turners!"

Yes, you're right. Thanks. Old habits die hard sometimes. I need to remember what you say here, for my own good. It's my future. My pair of FIS SL165 Rossis that I got from @ScotsSkier, thank God, is a joy to ski either slower and more relaxed, like I need to more and more as I grow older; or in a full spectrum up to the way I've always used these in the past, more like I was imagining doing gates - or actually doing them, back in the far, dim, hoary reaches of the planet's infancy.

I just was in the habit of slalom charging them - and getting more of a workout, not realizing their full potential. (I think this comes also from the olden days, when slalom skis were straight, and, at least mine, tended to get twitchy when not doing short turns.)

For the past few years, my "older guy" friends keep telling me that a good slalom ski is also the way to go for us old folk, learning to dial it back with grace, and some pizazz as well.

I skied the 165s just yesterday, at Mary Jane on a bluebird spring day, with a gradually growing big smile on my face. Very versatile.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Skip the AX, it's a truckster carver. Great ski, but it's not the goal.

Compromise would be the SC. Don't know the CX. You'd have to ask Noodler. Def don't get the AX in 182. At that point get a cheater gs ski with a round tip.

I agree to a point, but I had my Elan SL race skis out on Sunday morning and I came away with a realization. Choice of ski isn't so much about sidecut as it needs to be about width (surface area). Most true SL skis are narrow. A narrow ski really wants to be on FIRM snow. As things softened up, as they usually do in the Spring, I became less and less relaxed. Nothing to do with the sidecut. Everything to do with insufficient platform. I flipped to my Hart Pulse (77mm underfoot) and I immediately relaxed. A 66mm waist just wasn't enough for the softening snow that started peeling away with high angle carving.

Sponsor

Staff online