• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which rye?

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
catch her in the rye
Has anyone tried re-reading it as an adult? Does it work, or has Holden become a self-absorbed jerk? Or infuriatingly naive?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone tried re-reading it as an adult? Does it work, or has Holden become a self-absorbed jerk? Or infuriatingly naive?

Both. But the Glass family - Seymour, Franny, and Zooey - holds up, imho.

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's been awhile. Got the Whistlepig Farmstock as a birthday present. Half their own 3 year, the rest a mix of 6 and 10 year old Canadian. I like it. Much better than the last Whistlepig I had.
20191209_215914.jpg

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Another big fan of HW double here, I've not seen the Rendezvous but will be on the lookout. Also a great mixer rye is Bulleit, and usually stocked around here. NC has ABC which means state controlled rationing. No secondary market retail shops. Have to drive to SC or get my brother in DC to find stuff.

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Much better than the last Whistlepig I had.
For the record, the WP I wasn't that fond of was not the one in the previous post. It was one that appeared and disappeared in the years that are missing in this thread. They have so many variants now, I forget which one it was that I didn't like. I enjoyed the original version. High West Rendevous is still my all-time favorite, though.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These days I’m into the Knob Creek ryes, especially the cask-strength one. If you ever see Turley Mill rye, it’s totally worthy but it might be a New Mexico thing. And High West’s Midwinter Night’s Dram is fantastic, though a little spendy and a little hard to find. And I usually have a bottle of Sazerac in rotation for quick shots or cocktails.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
It was mentioned in the first page but is worth repeating: Crown Royal Canadian Rye Whiskey.

I don't know if CR still comes packaged in a purple bag with gold coloured stitching, but those bags make the best goggle bags ever. I have several.

Edit: Looking through my goggle collection and I have half a dozen Crown Royal goggle bags. I don't remember how I acquired them all and I stopped drinking decades ago...maybe it was a good thing that I did.:ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
These days I’m into the Knob Creek ryes, especially the cask-strength one. If you ever see Turley Mill rye, it’s totally worthy but it might be a New Mexico thing. And High West’s Midwinter Night’s Dram is fantastic, though a little spendy and a little hard to find. And I usually have a bottle of Sazerac in rotation for quick shots or cocktails.

I love MWND! In my top 3 ryes. The other two being Willet Rye and Michter's 10yr Rye. I also like EH Taylor Rye.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
@mdf The HW Rendevous is one of my favorites too but I think I like their campfire blend better. I haven’t been able to bring myself to buy a bottle of the MWND. For some reason the bottles of the best stuff seem to have an evaporation problem where they become empty rather quickly.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
I grew up with this stuff.. Alberta Premium.. still my go-to.. 100% rye 5yr old blend, hell of a lot better than that northern harvest swill.

Cheap enough you don't feel bad mixing it, and good enough you can drink it by the mugful neat. Apparently it's the base for many american "canadian rye" whiskeys
Alberta_Premium.png

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Probably my favorite rye these days is Old Forester, partially because its really good and partially because its really cheap.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rittenhouse has been my go to rye for cocktails and it's not a bad sipper.

Also like Templeton, Costco had it for while at a crazy low price. And Bulleit is good. Redemption was OK (I do like their bourbon), and Old Overholt was crap (get what you pay for!).

I will have to try some of the ones mentioned. I think I saw Whistle Pig at Costco... $70 as I recall... Not sure my palate is refined enough for that kind of dough. Putting on my Christmas list!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rittenhouse has been my go to rye for cocktails and it's not a bad sipper.

Also like Templeton, Costco had it for while at a crazy low price. And Bulleit is good. Redemption was OK (I do like their bourbon), and Old Overholt was crap (get what you pay for!).

I will have to try some of the ones mentioned. I think I saw Whistle Pig at Costco... $70 as I recall... Not sure my palate is refined enough for that kind of dough. Putting on my Christmas list!

Rittenhouse is good, esp. for the $$. It won rye of the year some years ago.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
For good reasonably priced rye Knob Creek is my go to. I don't really like their bourbon but the rye is a steal at ~$30 at my local discounter.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
1.5 jiggers of Michters Rye, 1/2 jigger of Blood orange liquor, slice of blood orange and bada Bing cherry muddled with a dash bitters of choice and if you really want kick it up a notch a splash of soda but soda not needed. Perfection!

Sponsor

Staff online