• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Epic, Ikon, Mountain Collective -- which is best? There may already be an informative thread on this. If so, just point me to it.

I'm particularly interested in which would be best in view of where next season's Gatherings will be held (if that has been decided).

Thanks!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Epic, Ikon, Mountain Collective -- which is best? There may already be an informative thread on this. If so, just point me to it.

I'm particularly interested in which would be best in view of where next season's Gatherings will be held (if that has been decided).

Thanks!
This really depends on where you want to ski and how much you do ski. This past season my family got season passes at our local hill where my kids do racing and free ride programs. We also got a Whistler 5 day Edge Card and a Mountain Collective Pass. As a family we got in over 30 days which included 10 at Whistler, 6 in Banff and the remainder at out local hill. I also did 5 at Alta and Snowbird plus a trip to Switzerland. I did the math and this combination was the most cost effective for our family. THis coming year we are going to ski interior BC instead of Whistler plus our local hill is a sister resort to Big Sky so we get some free days there. As a result we are only doing the local pass and I might do a Mountain Collective pass to cover some of my guys ski trips

If your local mountain is covered by EPIC or Ikon those passes might make sense. Also check with your local mountain to see if they offer Mountain Collective as an add on pass just like my local hill as this is very reasonable. I think a lot of people buy these passes but do not actually get great value out of them as they do not get in enough ski days on them. Remember when you buy in advance through most hills and Liftopia you can get significant discounts. My Whistler 5 day edge card was under $350 US, but gave me free unlimited skiing until Dec 14th. My daily cost to ski Whistler this year was under $35. With discounts the Mountain Collective pass for my entire family of 5 was $599 last year which is less than just my lift tickets in Banff would have cost had I paid for them. The point here is if you can plan out roughly where you think you will ski and the number of days you can easily figure out which pass or combination of passes are going to be the best deal, it just takes some planning and math skills :)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you're thinking about ikon. today is last day before $100 increase.

There is no best. It's about you deciding what you want to ski, and then the passes are a mechanism for you to reduce your costs.

Last edited:

dovski

Skier
Ok My Mountain Collective discounts just came in from Summit at Snoqualmie. Works out to $279 for adults so will likely do this just so I can ski 3 days at Snowmass :) Will also use my 2 days at Big Sky and possibly get to Revelstoke :)

TS
Jimski

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jackson for next year.

If there is a Pugski Taos mini-gathering, it will be at Taos. :D

Two of my favorite places to ski! Do any of the passes cover both? Also, has a date been set for the JH Gathering?

Thanks!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know the Ikon pass covers both, I just bought one. Hurry, the price goes up tonight at mid-night. Other passes might cover as well, I am not sure.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Jackson Hole is the Gathering location, and AFAIK if will either be the last or second last week of Feb. 2020. Jackson Hole sells a 7 day and a 10 day pass. The town of Jackson, 20 minutes from the skiing, is the Gateway to Yellowstone in the summer, but in winter it is the off season with very cheap rooms for so close to a major ski resort.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Based on what you said, definitely the IKON. As was mentioned, buy it today before the price goes up!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Two of my favorite places to ski! Do any of the passes cover both? Also, has a date been set for the JH Gathering?

Both Ikon & Mountain Collective are good for both. Just have to work out the numbers.

Right now the Taos gathering is leaning to the last week of Jan (1/26 - 2/1).
The Jackson Hole gathering will probably be last week of Feb or first week of March.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife is ordering her IKON right now (I purchased mine yesterday), so I guess we'll be traveling together again next year............ogsmile

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
I feel like I have gone to the dark side. After a couple years buying an Alta season pass, we bought Ikon for the whole family. My wife has complained about the lack of variety at Alta (she doesn't go off-piste), and she really likes Deer Valley.

I feel dirty. But I am looking forward to skiing at Brighton next season, never really skied there beyond one or two green circles while I was rehabbing my back.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Everyone in Colorado should get the IKON pass.

evil-laugh.gif

dovski

Skier
FYI for anyone who has purchased a season pass from the Summit at Snoqualmie or any other Boyne Resort, they are offering a $170 discount on the Mountain Collective pass. I just bought mine for $279 which is a crazy good deal. Anyone who has a pass and does not want to buy a Mountain Collective pass, I would be happy to use your discount code :)

FYI discount codes are all unique and single use, they get issued individually to all season pass holders who purchase early.

dovski

Skier
FYI one more thing, Boyne now offers sister resort benefits of 3 days free at all Boyne resorts and half price lift tickets after that. This is included with your local Boyne resort Season pass which is also a great value. As a result I am definitely skiing Big Sky and Brighton this year as I know have 5 days free at each resort with my Boyne benefits plus Mountain Collective. $499 for my Boyne Season Pass plus $279 for the Mountain Collective is a great deal.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Overheard at Killington yesterday.
Quote of the Day - Paid over $600 for this lift pass and I need a picture of my first and last day. (Ikon Guest)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Overheard at Killington yesterday.
Quote of the Day - Paid over $600 for this lift pass and I need a picture of my first and last day. (Ikon Guest)
Hopefully they were not the same day.

dovski

Skier
Hopefully they were not the same day.
We had a season like that a few years back, local hill gave everyone 90% credit towards the next season and also launched snow insurance going forward. Great customer service but really lousy ski season.

Sponsor