• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Which of these Eastern resorts are close to each other?

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Hi all,

Looking to plan an eastern multi-resort trip using the Ikon Pass. Can anyone advise on which of these resorts are within 30 minutes of each other, if any?

Sunday River MN
Sugarloaf MN
Loon NH
Stratton VT
Killington VT
Sugarbush VT
Snowshoe WV

Thank you!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
none are 30 minutes from each other.....

Sugarbush to Killington. 1:15

killington to Stratton 1:15

Sunday River to Loon 1:45

Sunday River to Sugarloaf 2:15

lets assume Alterra buys Jay Peak and Burke......and lets hope

Jay to Burke 1:30

Burke to Loon 1:15

Snowshoe is very very far from all.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Josh summed it up we'll. Staying in Killington and skiing sugarbush and Stratton is feasible. The Killington pass may also be good at Pico which Killington manages and is just a couple miles away.

TS
DavidSkis

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
PS, Sunday River and Sugarloaf are not in Minnesota. :D
HA! I'd fail the citizenship test.

Josh, thank you for summing it up.

Looks like all those destinations are far enough away from each other that they're not super practical for organizing a bus trip. I wonder if that's deliberate. (For simplicity and the sanity of our trip leaders, our club plants itself at one hotel either on-hill or at a "cool" city like Quebec City, within short driving distance of multiple hills. C'est la vie when the members have just spent 7+ hours on the bus.)

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
You could do Killington, Okemo (45min-1hr from K) Stratton all in one trip..

James

Out There
Instructor
and Suicide 6!
And Quechee.
Closest to Killington -Pico!
Also, the private area in Plymouth. Formerly Bear Creek, and way back, Round Top.
A whole bus might be able to rent it midweek.

HA! I'd fail the citizenship test.

Josh, thank you for summing it up.

Looks like all those destinations are far enough away from each other that they're not super practical for organizing a bus trip. I wonder if that's deliberate. (For simplicity and the sanity of our trip leaders, our club plants itself at one hotel either on-hill or at a "cool" city like Quebec City, within short driving distance of multiple hills. C'est la vie when the members have just spent 7+ hours on the bus.)
30 minutes is pretty short. Have you driven through these states of Maine, VT, NH?
Best bet might be stay in Waterbury. Ski Stowe, Sugarbush, Mad River. ( no boarders). If willing to extend time travelling, you've got Smugglers and Jay Peak. Plus Killington.

Last edited:

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Josh summed it up we'll. Staying in Killington and skiing sugarbush and Stratton is feasible. The Killington pass may also be good at Pico which Killington manages and is just a couple miles away.

+1 for being able to ski Killington/Sugarbush/Stratton relatively easily though it might make sense to stay near each if you are going to ski each more than one day. Otherwise a lot of driving each day. I am 99% sure the pass will be good at Pico as it's the same "resort" and all Killington tickets and passes are good at Pico.

James

Out There
Instructor
There's really no reason to drive down to Stratton from Killington when Okemo is only 35-40 min away. Not like it's that different down there.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Looks like all those destinations are far enough away from each other that they're not super practical for organizing a bus trip. I wonder if that's deliberate.

... on the 13th day, god used plate tectonics to create viable hills for skiing, but positioned them to foil planned bus trips to north eastern ski resorts.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
There's really no reason to drive down to Stratton from Killington when Okemo is only 35-40 min away. Not like it's that different down there.
OP was trying to plan around ikon pass which doesn't include Okemo. Agreed, lots more options if you include all ski ar

TS
DavidSkis

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
... on the 13th day, god used plate tectonics to create viable hills for skiing, but positioned them to foil planned bus trips to north eastern ski resorts.
Ha. I meant that my impression is there are many hills in reasonable proximity to each other in the northeast, so I wonder if Ikon woos the resorts with a condition that no competitors within x miles will be on the pass.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
And Quechee.
Closest to Killington -Pico!
Also, the private area in Plymouth. Formerly Bear Creek, and way back, Round Top.
A whole bus might be able to rent it midweek.

30 minutes is pretty short. Have you driven through these states of Maine, VT, NH?
Best bet might be stay in Waterbury. Ski Stowe, Sugarbush, Mad River. ( no boarders). If willing to extend time travelling, you've got Smugglers and Jay Peak. Plus Killington.

Waterbury is only 90 minutes from Loon on Ikon pass. I make the drive in reverse often for a B&J fix

Sponsor

Staff online