• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which of these CO ski schools for newbie?

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
After years of inviting, my son, his wife and my granddaughter, they are finally coming to CO for a visit and ski trip. None of them have ever skied, so I've insisted they take a couple lessons right off.

I have Epic local pass and Loveland 4-packs, so we'll be going to Breckenridge and Loveland, maybe Keystone too.

Of the two: Breck and Loveland, which has a better ski school for never-ever adults and never-ever young kids? Does that choice carry over into the following beginner lessons they will take as well? Breck is crazy expensive when compared to Loveland so not sure the price difference relates to better quality instruction or strictly location premium.

Last edited:

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Price is location premium. The Loveland ski school had my 5-year-old up and going in one lesson and I could take it from there. Breckenridge has an amazing beginner area that may be unrivaled in the area.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I'm not a Colorado guy so I'm not familiar with the different beginner/learning areas but that is just as important as the actual instruction. Extremely low angle, wide open terrain with a conveyor type lift & an easy to load & unload detachable chairlift away from the general skiing masses is what I would look for. Every area has some instructors who are great with beginners but unless you are putting them in private lessons with recommended instructors, it can be a crap shoot.

Often a smaller, less corporate local type area is the best place for first timers. Usually easier logistically & mentally so as not to get overwhelmed & caught up in the frenzy of a large destination resort.

Any preliminary familiarization you can do beforehand is extremely beneficial. IE trying on equipment, videos, books, skating, sliding in socks on the kitchen floor or even lessons on a revolving carpet would help to insure their first time on snow a success.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
After years of inviting, my son, his wife and my granddaughter are finally coming to CO for a visit and ski trip. None of them have ever skied, so I've insisted they take a couple lessons right off.

I have Epic local pass and Loveland 4-packs, so we'll be going to Breckinridge and Loveland, maybe Keystone too.

Of the two: Breck and Loveland, which has a better ski school for never-ever adults and never-ever young kids? Does that choice carry over into the following beginner lessons they will take as well? Breck is crazy expensive when compared to Loveland so not sure the price difference relates to better quality instruction or strictly location premium.

Out of those options - Loveland, no question.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Loveland for sure. Avoid going on a weekend and it should be pretty relaxed and stress free. Breck is awesome BUT generally MUCH more crowded and expensive.

"so not sure the price difference relates to better quality instruction or strictly location premium." No, it does not have anything to do with the quality of the instruction...

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Peak 9 beginner terrain at Breckenridge is phenomenal. You can't beat Silverthorne at Peak 9 at Breck for new skiers. The instructor you get is a crapshoot.

How old is your granddaughter? I know many great instructors at Breck and it may be worth it to do a family private -depending on the age of your granddaughter.

I taught at Breck for 10 years. Please feel free to PM me for more information.

TS
TexasStout

TexasStout

Skier
The Peak 9 beginner terrain at Breckenridge is phenomenal. You can't beat Silverthorne at Peak 9 at Breck for new skiers. The instructor you get is a crapshoot.

How old is your granddaughter? I know many great instructors at Breck and it may be worth it to do a family private -depending on the age of your granddaughter.

I taught at Breck for 10 years. Please feel free to PM me for more information.
She will be five when we go to Breck.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Is this based on facilities or instruction quality?

Price mostly, crowding as a secondary factor, terrain tertiary.

Group lesson at Loveland with equipment rental AND lift ticket is the price of lesson alone at Breck (lift ticket and rental at Breck is going to roughly double the price).

Private lesson at Loveland -> ~$399
Private lesson at Breck -> ~$649

If you do take a Lesson at Breck - classes out of Peak 8 tended to have larger class sizes and less experienced instructors, so I'd suggest going through Beaver Run / The Village (the "peak 9" areas that Nancy spoke of in her post). [Anyone currently at Breck please feel free to correct me if that's finally changed].

An "ideal" progression for value (assuming the parents want to ski with the kiddo in the future) is probably 2 days of lessons. Day 1 is a private for the adults, group lesson for the kiddo, and the goal is to get everyone sliding effectively. Then a family private on Day 2, the goal is to learn how to ski effectively with their child. (And maybe to show Grandpa how to not over-terrain everybody else in the family, because that's *real* easy to do if you haven't practiced *not* doing it) :)

If price isn't an object, then get 1-2 private lesson instructors every day, and we'll get you recommendations at either mountain for who to ask for.

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Loveland Valley is a great place for learning to ski. This is the one-lift small area just before Loveland Basin. I can't say anything about Breck in comparison.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I've never seen a better beginner area than Silverthorne on Peak Nine at Breck. Getting on the snow is easier at Beaver Run, first-timer facilities are better at the Village, but the latter requires walking farther uphill carrying your equipment for beginners.

The five-year-old probably will do better in a class than in a private. Little kids learn a lot from eachother.

I don't know this, but I'd guess the equipment rental would be better at Breck than at Loveland.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
I've never seen a better beginner area than Silverthorne on Peak Nine at Breck. Getting on the snow is easier at Beaver Run, first-timer facilities are better at the Village, but the latter requires walking farther uphill carrying your equipment for beginners.

The five-year-old probably will do better in a class than in a private. Little kids learn a lot from eachother.

I don't know this, but I'd guess the equipment rental would be better at Breck than at Loveland.

Spot on.

One more factor in play here though. The base elevation of the Valley at Loveland is about 800' feet higher than the base of Peak 9 in Breckenridge which is already at 9600 ft. Something to think about.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Spot on.

One more factor in play here though. The base elevation of the Valley at Loveland is about 800' feet higher than the base of Peak 9 in Breckenridge which is already at 9600 ft. Something to think about.

I did not realize that difference. One more item to recite when recommending Peak Nine to beginning skiers.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Keep in mind that both Breck and Loveland are relatively high elevation. Altitude sickness can be a factor. You may want to add a day on the front end of the trip to get acclimated in Denver prior to going to the mountains.

TS
TexasStout

TexasStout

Skier
Keep in mind that both Breck and Loveland are relatively high elevation. Altitude sickness can be a factor. You may want to add a day on the front end of the trip to get acclimated in Denver prior to going to the mountains.
Well aware, thanks. I've had the headache upon arriving in Breck in the past, myself. We have a place in Evergreen (elev 7200 ft) where they'll stay a day or two to acclimate before we go skiing and where we'll sleep each night. I do plan on advising my son to ensure they stay hydrated before and during the time at the resorts.

Last edited: