• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which Nordica skis for me?

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I have a good friend who, through professional connections, is offering me screaming deals on Nordica equipment. I've been considering new skis for the coming season, so this is a nice coincidence. However, I don't know Nordica skis from a hole in the ground.

I'm 6'1", 220 lbs. I ski between 50 and 60 days per season in the PNW, (Mt. Baker & Stevens Pass mostly). I figure I'm what ski companies call an expert. I ski loose snow of all kinds (powder, crud, Cascade concrete, trees) some bumps, but little in the way of groomers if I can get away with it. I'm looking for a soft snow ski that will work in these conditions. Presently I ski on 186 Elan 888s, and Ski Logic 188 Ullr's Chariots.

If you know anything about Nordica gear please educate me!

Thanks.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Phil, having skied with you, and being a fellow PNW skier, I would say the Enforcer 93 or 100. Maybe the 110. I think the Enforcer Pro (115) is more ski than you need for every day. There really isn’t that much groomer skiing at Baker or Stevens anyway and what does get groomed is cut up pretty quickly, so a ski than can cut through the crud is really useful. The Enforcers are very stable and compliant, and pretty good in bumps. The other option is the Navigator 90, which I haven’t tried. Maybe other can compare the two. @Philpug @markojp might be able to chime in here.

Please note I am not simply describing my favorite skis; there are other brands/model that are a better fit for me. If I were a little bigger and heavier, Enforcers might be perfect for me. For you, they may very well be perfect. Enforcers are really popular and people that ski them love them for exactly the conditions you are describing.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Posaune, as another Stevens and Crystal skier I would second the enforcer 93 or 100. I have demoed both. The 100 was a real nice do everything ski. It had enough width for 6 to8 inch dumps, was quick enough in reasonable bumps, and got you back to the lift. It also was a fun crud buster. The 93 would be a very good choice as the narrower ski of a two ski quiver. It also is a good crud buster, and is a bit better in bumps, as you would expect. I found a 93 to be a lot of fun in a lot of different places. I took it through 6 inches of semi untracked to cut up bumps to bombing the groomer. On the day when I demoed a whole lot of 90 to 100cm skis the enforcer 93 tied for first place with the Liberty VMT 92, which by the way it is a very fun ski. If you're planning on keeping a dedicated powder ski for those big Baker days then it would boil down to a bit more stability and crud mashing ability with the 100, or better quickness in bumps and varied terrain, tight trees etc. with the 93. I think you would have a good time with either.

One more thought, Bad Bob, who skis in the Inland Northwest, among other places, skis on Enforcer 100s almost exclusively and rips through everything. Maybe he will chime in.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If i were on the Nordica ticket, I'd ski a navigator 90* and an Enforcer 115. The former is a really nice and very under rated ski that I really like, but whatever... that's just me. The latter is actually very soft and fun. It's NOT a big burly beast, but it only comes in a 190 if I recall. I'd be on my short list for a Hokkaido ski with a telemark binding. Most folks around here really enjoy their Enforcer 93's and 100's and they work for a wide range of skiers. If you ski fast, ski them long. If not, don't worry.

* less tip rocker... I prefer they way they hook up above the fall line better, but I've skied several days on a 185 Enforcer 100. Nice ski as well, just not my cuppa off piste. I'm probably a big outlier on that one though, so take it with much salt. I think I needed the 193, but generally don't want to ski anything over 185 because long skis just don't fit well into many tight places at Stevens.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have a good friend who, through professional connections, is offering me screaming deals on Nordica equipment. I've been considering new skis for the coming season, so this is a nice coincidence. However, I don't know Nordica skis from a hole in the ground.

I'm 6'1", 220 lbs. I ski between 50 and 60 days per season in the PNW, (Mt. Baker & Stevens Pass mostly). I figure I'm what ski companies call an expert. I ski loose snow of all kinds (powder, crud, Cascade concrete, trees) some bumps, but little in the way of groomers if I can get away with it. I'm looking for a soft snow ski that will work in these conditions. Presently I ski on 186 Elan 888s, and Ski Logic 188 Ullr's Chariots.

Thanks.

I demoed the Enforcer 110 in 185cm and liked it. I would get that for sure. Its definitely enough ski for your size and weight while still being pretty maneuverable and versatile. Its a great ski for most days worth skiing.

For low tide, no snow in days/weeks days almost any decent groomer ski will do.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, now we’re talking 2 ski quivers?

Are you looking for one ski or two? Keeping either the 888 or the Ullr?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Enforcer 100 :thumb::thumb:.

We share about the same physical profile, and I love em. Not the best ski for anything but it does everything pretty damned well (well, it might be one of the best crud busters). It is not as quick as a lot of skis, probably due to weight, but it is an easy ski to initiate a turn with. In our 3D snow it handles everything I have put them in very well. Those that really blast that the ski has a fairly high speed limit, I don't ski fast enough to have ever found it. I have not skied the Enforcer 110 or 115 and have no doubt they are excellent at the same things but the 100 has answered my needs and wants.

I am 6', was about 220 last season, and very happy on the 185.

TS
Posaune

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Oh, now we’re talking 2 ski quivers?

Are you looking for one ski or two? Keeping either the 888 or the Ullr?
I was not thinking about a new ski for this season, the two ski quiver I operate from now has filled my needs quite well and I was planning on going another season with it, but this opportunity came along and, being a cheapskate at heart, I figured I would take advantage of it. I might not even ski them much the first season depending on how they relate to my other skis. I love the 888s, but they are the oldest, so I may go that direction. The Chariots are still charging hard.

So to answer your question, I will have a two ski quiver, but who knows what will be the look of it? Right now I'm trying to get oriented to a ski company that I've not really had anything to do with. I don't know yet how long I can hold this deal off, but if I can make it to the ski season I'll demo first and this thread helps focus my attention.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Thanks.
Nordica Enforcer 110 best fits your description.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Which end do you want to "give" on, firm or soft?

If soft snow matters most Enforcer 110s.

If cut up and firm-ish matters more, Enforcer 100s.

I've got the 100s. They work very well everywhere. So easy. But.....they don't really get me excited. Hard to explain.

Brice Westring

Yeehaw Jesters dead
Skier

Thanks.

I ski the older enforcer 98s and they are my all time favs. Can do anything except deep pow. With all the hype on the new Enforcers I demoed both the 100’s and 93’s. Surprisingly I liked the 93s better. I did not feel the 100s had the same playfulness. That said, you are talking cement so surprised you are asking for a soft ski at your size. Would think a ski with a bit of Titanial would be a good thing. So Enforcer would be a great choice. If you stick to on piste the 93’s would likely be great. If a bit more off piste then the 100s or even 110’s. Never skied them but I hear the Enforcer pros, the 115’s, requires some really hard driving. Good luck and we all need a friend with a hookup

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Phil have skied with you and you could easily make any of them perform, but at your size weight combined with Baker snow - think you'll be happier on at least the 110's for float, Even my go to daily ski is a 108 and i am a fair bit smaller.

that being said i know nothing about Nordica skis either so take it for whats its worth.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Replacement for 888s: Enforcer 93
Replacement for Chariots: Enforcer 110 or 115
Replacement for both: Enforcer 100

Just my JPY2.22

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
If my home area were Baker (or Niseko), I'd still have a enforcer pro (115) and a navigator 90. ogsmile

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep in mind @Posaune did note he is a cheapskate (I say this as very much a cheapskate myself). Getting one ski on a screaming deal makes perfect sense; buying a new two-ski quiver, even with screaming deals does not, when at least one of the pair of skis are still charging hard.

The Ullr’s are about 100mm wide, give or take. So if he’s been happy enough with those, why go wider? No doubt the 110’s or 115’s might be the better choice for fresh snow, more than a few inches, but not necessarily better for cut up crud or other loose snow, and not as good in bumps or run outs back to the lift, not to mentioned on-piste.

So, if the cheapskate thing to do is to buy one pair only, and the 888 is the likelier candidate for replacement, then it’s a choice between a Navigator 90 and Enforcer 93, and keep the Ullr. When it’s time to replace the Ullr, then consider a 110–115.

Just my cheapskate two bits.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
1 pr? Enforcer 100.

Sponsor

Staff online